PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Mustang Swimmer at the Olympics - for Great Britain!

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Mustang Swimmer at the Olympics - for Great Britain!

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:30 pm

http://sport.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3309596

Georgina Lee has highlighted the importance of Team GB’s (Great Britain) acclimatisation here in Cyprus – and the 22-year-old swimmer should know better than most as she lives in Texas.

Butterfly hopeful Lee is studying economics at the Southern Methodist University in Dallas, which gives her the chance to train outdoors in conditions similar to those the athletes will face in Athens.

The majority of the British swimming team train indoors back home and only get the chance to experience life outdoors and in the heat when they have warm weather training.

Lee warned that they would find Athens a big culture shock in that regard, and is therefore glad they are getting this chance to prepare properly.

“I train in an outdoor pool so I am probably more used to what we shall face in Athens than most, and I can say that it is a very big difference,” said Lee.

“Most of the guys train inside, in an enclosed area, when it is cold outside, and it is a very big difference to suddenly dive into a pool with spectators there and the big sky – especially for the backstrokers who might be used to focusing on the roof because it is harder to swim straight when you have nothing to focus on.

“Some athletes will struggle with that and so we need preparation camps like this in order to make sure everyone is prepared.

“You can be very well prepared physically but coming outdoors can throw you mentally if you are not used to it and affect your performance.”

Lee swam a personal best in Sydney – yet it was good enough only for 10th place overall which meant she failed to make the final. She is hoping for another PB in Athens and this time believes she has improved enough for it to count.
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Other Sports