PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Men's swim team?

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Men's swim team?

Postby wilthestilt » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:12 pm

I attended SMU men's swimming meets in the late 60's thru the mid 70's when I moved away. What has happened to the program? Women are able to recruit, why not the men?
wilthestilt

From what I've heard...

Postby MustangSally » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:56 pm

I've been told that in the 60's and 70's SMU clearly dominated the SWC and was nationally competitive year in and year out. Then in the 80's, I think UT built a huge new swimming complex and starting eating up a lot of our recruits. Several other schools have since done this also. I think most schools use a standard 50 M pool while ours is only 25, or something like that. Basically, Perkins has a certain charm to it, but in reality it's an old converted gym built in the 30's (?) that is showing its age. This is why I've heard both the women's and men's teams have so many Europeans on the roster, it's easier to get them to come here than many US kids.
From high on the hilltop, in Big D...
MustangSally
Varsity

Postby Water Pony » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:56 am

Wilthestilt:

MustangSally is on target. The sixties and seventies were the glory years. During my three varsity years in the sixties, we were:

- Undefeated in dual meets
- Won our 12th consecutive SWC Championship
- Placed 5th, 7th and 5th in the NCAA Championships

After that we had stars like Jerry Heidenreich and Lunquist, who were great Olympians as well. The team continued to excel and a Women's team was added.

The current situation has the Women's team a consistent Top 10 finisher with the Men around Top 20-25. The A.R. Barr (a great coach and gentleman) outdoor pool was a good addition but it is not used for College competition during the season.

Perkins Natatorium has tradition. As a matter of fact the National AAUs were held there in 1968. However, it is 25 yards long and has ONLY six lanes. Not attractive to recruit or effective for training. Remember, we have four teams using it Men's and Women's Swimming and Diving Teams. Minimum requirements for college teams is 50 meters by 25 yards with a separate or divided diving well.

There were two efforts replace Perkins. First, when Dallas was bidding for the 2012 Olympics, SMU was to be the site of a new Swimming & Diving Complex. That wasn't probable since DFW was a long shot to win the US bid, much less be the IOC's choice. Second, a late effort to combine the general student body's request for a recreation pool as part of the new Dedman Student Recreation Center with the desperate training and competition needs of the Men's and Women's Varsity teams fell on deaf ears in the Student Life Department. Big missed opportunity which essentially pushed back a real possilibilty for improvement for an indefinite period.

Friends of Swimming were prepared to contribute to a combined Aquatic Center but the Recreation people were determined to get their own facility. Until a competitvie facility is built, SMU will not be able to attract the caliber of swimmers, nationally or internationally, needed to maintain current program or return to the glory years.

Last discussions I heard were to remodel Perkins after the Mustang Band moves. Seems like a poor option, but even that is preferred to the status quo.

Sorry I took off on this subject, but I feel strongly about it.

:?
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:53 pm

No reason to apologize. Swimming is a great tradition at SMU. I like Perkins for meets because of the history and pit nature of it. I wish we could build a suitable training facility for the swim teams. What ought to happen is that ex-swimmers donate money earmarked for a new swimming and diving facility. After awhile the school might actually get the idea that they could raise a lot more money if more people knew about it and a fund was already sitting there without ability to be touched. Put the horse in front of the cart and suddenly the cart will get there.
EastStang

Postby Water Pony » Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:18 pm

Agreed. Some of us have already done that. But the school, including the Recreation and Athletic departments and administration, needs to be more creative and not let an opportunity slip away again.

FYI, several schools, including the U. of Louisville, have committed to new aquatic centers by working in concert with the student body needs.

The ex-swimmers and Friends of SMU Swimming will fill the void. Significant funds have already been earmarked by these two groups.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Cheesesteak » Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:45 pm

Water Pony -

Out of curiosity, how much ($ estimate) would a new NCAA quality (50 meters by 25 yards with a separate or divided diving well) aquatic center cost to build on the Hilltop? Since the recreation pool being built as part of the expanded Dedman complex isn't suitable for college meets - a stand-alone aquatic center is in my opion a must for SMU's athletic future...

What is the right number of spectator seats?

Is a moveable bulkhead required?

Does each visiting team (larger meets with several teams) need a separtate locker room?

Would the facility include a mini-Heritage Hall (for SMU's aquatic greatness)?

Would SMU want to build a facility capable on hosting the NCAA S&D championships?

Are there any partner organizations in Dallas that might share construction costs?

Other important points?
Cheesesteak
All-American

Re:

Postby Water Pony » Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:29 pm

Cheesesteak wrote:Water Pony -

Out of curiosity, how much ($ estimate) would a new NCAA quality (50 meters by 25 yards with a separate or divided diving well) aquatic center cost to build on the Hilltop? Since the recreation pool being built as part of the expanded Dedman complex isn't suitable for college meets - a stand-alone aquatic center is in my opion a must for SMU's athletic future...

What is the right number of spectator seats?

Is a moveable bulkhead required?

Does each visiting team (larger meets with several teams) need a separtate locker room?

Would the facility include a mini-Heritage Hall (for SMU's aquatic greatness)?

Would SMU want to build a facility capable on hosting the NCAA S&D championships?

Are there any partner organizations in Dallas that might share construction costs?

Other important points?

A new competitive pool is likely to cost more than $6-8m with seating to host regional and national events of 2-3,000. A moveable bulkhead is an advantage for flexibility and to reduce cost of two pools, but not critical at this stage. Other participants could be a swim club with a development program for young swimmers, high school age and master swimmers. Larger US Swimming meet could be held as well as HS Championships.

A facility is essential for continued progress and future success. With Mens and Womens team, we need to invest to be both competitive and return to glory.
Water Pony

Return to Other Sports