PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

CUSA Competition

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

CUSA Competition

Postby AusTxPony » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:56 pm

If you took this year's current polls and looked at SMU sports teams other than football and basketball, how do we stack up against our next year's CUSA competition? How many championships in all sports might we be able to win against next year's CUSA teams? Do they have a "Commisioner's Cup" in CUSA? It seems we would be favored in Men' and Women's Soccer and in Women's Swim/Dive, but are there others? :)
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony4Life » Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:52 pm

I'm guessing here, but I would bet we'd be near or at the top in tennis and golf, too. And (women's, of course) track.
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby Hoofbeat83 » Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:00 pm

does CUSA have men's soccer or will we still be competing in the MVC?
Hoofbeat83
All-American

Postby PK » Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:20 pm

CUSA has both men's and women's soccer. When you get to the page linked below, click on CUSA Sports on the left sidebar which will show what sports we will be competing in.

http://www.conferenceusa.com/
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby The XtC » Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:36 pm

C-USA does play mens soccer now, but if you looking at the standings, almost every school with a mens team is leaving. Only Memphis, UAB and East Carolina field varsity teams, amongst the leftover schools. SMU and Tulsa are the only newcomers with mens teams. 5 teams isnt enough for an NCAA auto bid, so I would think the conference will have to pull someone else out of the MVC (like vanderbilt) pickup some of the other SEC schools that play mens soccer (South Carolina, Kentucky) or we will stay in the MVC.
Try not to choke on the Kool-Aid.
The XtC
Heisman

Postby AusTxPony » Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:16 pm

Both Marshall and UCF have men's soccer and will field teams in CUSA next year, I believe. Maybe we can get Vanderbilt and UNC -Charlotte (who plays this year in CUSA) in the league as well. That would make 9 teams. :)
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby abezontar » Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:26 pm

I thought I read somewhere that Kentucky (or maybe South Carolina), and another Florida (FAU, FIU?) school was going to be joining CUSA next year for Men's Soccer.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Thumper » Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:57 pm

Yup - Kentucky, South Carolina and Florida International will be "affiliates" for soccer in CUSA. FIU will be one of the few teams that can play a good game with the Ponies.
Thumper
Varsity

Return to Other Sports