PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Men's soccer #1 in Soccer Times Poll

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Men's soccer #1 in Soccer Times Poll

Postby RC » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:55 pm

The SMU men's soccer team is #1 in the country according to the poll of coaches. Click here for more info:

www.soccertimes.com

We are also #2 in every other poll. Unfortunatley, it didn't help in the NCAA tournament seeding where we are #7.

Go Ponies!!! Bring home the national championship!!!!
RC
Recruit

Postby EastStang » Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:12 pm

The more I look at the NCAA seedings the angrier I get. New Mexico is ranked in the top 5 in several polls including #1 in one of the polls. They get the 14 seed. Guess what, we have to meet them in the round of 8 if we get by SC or UC. I hate the NCAA. To quote "Major League" -I guess we only have one choice, to win the whole... thing.
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony Up » Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:46 am

Can anyone explain WHY we got hosed on the seedings?

Is it an attendance issue? In some sports, there are coaches who get "respect votes" (see Bobby Bowden, Jim Boeheim). Surely Coach Hyndman is at or above their stature within the college soccer world. I would think if the Ponies are #1 or #2 in every poll, they should have been one of the #1 seeds -- and there's four of those, right? This is insulting.

I hope this annoys every player on the team, and they go out and just whip every opponent the NCAA throws in front of us.

Go Ponies!
Pony Up
All-American

Postby EastStang » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:14 pm

I'm guessing the selection committee had ACC but love or something 3 of 4 top seeds were from the ACC. #1 seed didn't even win its conference tournament.
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Other Sports