PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

DMN Final Day - SMU 3rd

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

DMN Final Day - SMU 3rd

Postby Water Pony » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:04 pm

Look at post on main Ponyfans.com page. Swimmers and divers had an outstanding meet against some of the top NCAA teams in the country. The Men are re-emerging as a serious Top Twenty team and should have a strong season.

The quote from the Florida swimmer about the atmosphere in Perkins Natatorium was fun to read. It is very intimate and traditional. But, we need to add an indoor, long course pool for training and recruiting. Options have been discussed but no commitment has been made to the Men and Women teams. This is a critical opportunity for SMU and our rich history in this sport.

Congratulations to Eddie and the team and good luck for the rest of the season.

:D
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Cheesesteak » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:48 am

Water Pony -

On a national level, how prestigious is the Dallas Morning News College Swim Classic? Does the DMN do anything to promote the event or is that work left for SMU? If SMU built a new NCAA competition quality aquatic center should the DMNCSC be enlarged or would about six teams still be the right size?

As an SMU student, I really enjoyed attending some home swim meets against top national competition. There was a lot of energy in Perkins Natatorium.

Do the SMU swimmers still do a chant that goes something like "Is this not our swimming pool..."?

Thanks.
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby EastStang » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:32 pm

I don't think the times were very fast. I saw several people make NCAA B standard qualifying times, but only 1 make an NCAA A qualifying standard time. Only one SMU swimmer and no relays even made the B standard time. Unless you qualify you can't score points in the NCAA meet.
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Other Sports