PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ryan Mirsky - Future Soccer Player @ SMU

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Ryan Mirsky - Future Soccer Player @ SMU

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:13 am

Ryan Mirsky and Micah Johnson can now be called national champions.

The two recent Robert E. Lee graduates were part of the Dallas Texans 87 Red 18 & under boys soccer team, which finished first last week at the U.S. Youth Soccer National Championships held in Orlando, Fla.

Mirsky scored the game-winning goal in the championship game as the Texans 87 Red blanked PDA Conquistadors New Jersey, 3-0.

For Mirsky and Johnson, who played varsity in all four of their years with the Red Raiders, this was a nice cap to a memorable senior year.

"It finishes everything on a good note," said Mirsky, who is set to enroll at Southern Methodist University on a full soccer scholarship.

Johnson said winning this national title made up for Lee being knocked out this season by Dallas Jesuit in the Class 5A regional quarterfinals.

"This was a pretty good alternative championship," said Johnson, who received a soccer scholarship to Lipscomb University in Nashville, Tenn. "Because we didn't win one in high school."

The Texans dropped their first game of tournament pool play to the Conquistadors 2-0, but made up for it when it counted most.

Early in the first half, Mirsky received a pass and let loose with a long-distance blast that hit the underside of the cross bar. Mirsky turned around dejected, thinking the ball came out, but his shot had deflected down past the goal line.

"I was 40 yards out and I hit it first time," Mirsky said. "I thought I missed, but then my team started rushing me."

Johnson, watching from his defender position, called Mirky's goal, "One of the best shots I've ever seen."

Prior to playing in the championship, the Texans faced elimination when trailing 1-0 at halftime in the semifinals.

Johnson said he remembers what Texans head coach David Hudgell told them at halftime.

"He looked at us and said, 'You know what to do,'" Johnson said.

It took a matter of minutes for the Texans to tie the match. Then the floodgates opened with Dallas adding two more goals to run away with a 3-1 win.

This advanced Dallas into the championship match where it got revenge against PDA Conquistadors. All told, the Texans outscored their opponents 9-3 in their matches and 9-1 in their three wins.
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hoofprint » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:05 am

Where is Robert E. Lee High School?
Is that the one in East Texas?
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:52 pm

Hoofprint wrote:Where is Robert E. Lee High School?
Is that the one in East Texas?
Tyler, Texas. My apologies...I forgot to put the link in for the story which appeared in the Tyler newspaper.
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Vitale » Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:28 am

There's also one in Midland (and probably many more around the state), but I highly doubt the guy commuted from Midland to play on a club team in Dallas (although that would show extraordinary dedication, huh?)
Vitale
All-American

Return to Other Sports