PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Men and Women Swim/Dive

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Men and Women Swim/Dive

Postby AusTxPony » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:20 am

Does anyone know how many swimmers/divers will be eligible for NCAAs? How do they choose them? If they get to the NCAA tournament in a certain event, can they compete in other events for the team? How does all this work?
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby The XtC » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:09 pm

You become eligible for the NCAA meet by making a qualifying time in your event during the course of the year. You cant cross over, making a qualifying time in the breaststroke doesnt allow you to also compete in the backstroke, only in the event you qualified in. I dont know off the top of my head how many swimmers we have going, or how many events those particular athletes will be competing in. Maybe Water Pony might know.
Try not to choke on the Kool-Aid.
The XtC
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:17 pm

It looks like all of our men's and women's relays qualified with at least a provisional time. I looked in a swimming magazine and we appear to be in the top 12-16 times nationally so I would expect our relays to get invited. As far as individual times go, we're all over the map and my guess is that we should qualify in at least six individual events for men and all of the non-sprint freestyle events for women. Invites go out on March 9. If we can score points in the relays, both teams should have top 20 finishes. I can't tell if Preston Holcombe qualified out of regionals for diving. He finished 5th in the 1m, 4th in the 3m and 6th in the tower.
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby The XtC » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:53 am

Holcombe is in. They took 7 from our region, and he was 6th.
Try not to choke on the Kool-Aid.
The XtC
Heisman

Postby Water Pony » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:48 pm

All good summaries.

"A" qualifying times automatically get someone in the specific (e.g. FR, Back, Fly, Breast, IM, etc. at a specific distance, e.g. 100, 200, 400, etc., the time was achieved.

"B" times are maybe's depending on the absolute number of "A" times that are achieved. There is a limit on the number of competitors per event.

Relays are similar.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby AusTxPony » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:46 am

I saw where the Women qualified 11 swimmers and four relays for the NCAAs. Guess the diving qualifying is still going on. Nothing yet on the Men (except for the diver, Preston Holcombe, who qualified). Go Ponies...Top Ten!
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:43 pm

Men qualified six swimmers in 11 events including three relays, plus diver Holcombe.
EastStang

Postby Water Pony » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:08 pm

EastStang wrote:Men qualified six swimmers in 11 events including three relays, plus diver Holcombe.

The Men Swimmers are:

- Ian Clark
- Tom Fadnes
- Alex Hetland
- Shane Milu
- Justin Smith
- Luke Vrtovec

Good luck in Minneapolis, when the meet starts this Thursday, the 15th.

Go Ponies!
Pony Up
Water Pony

Return to Other Sports