PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Aaron Chibli Transfers to SMU Soccer

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Aaron Chibli Transfers to SMU Soccer

Postby mustangbill67 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:45 pm

The current SMU men's roster lists MF Aaron Chibli as transferring to SMU from Hartwick. He will be a junior. Aaron played for the 2005 Dallas Texans national championship team and was named one of the top freshman players in the country while at Hartwick. He will be an important and strong addition to the Pony line-up. I believe his father attended SMU.

All 8 2007 freshman commits are on the current 29 man roster. The roster also includes transfer Gabriel Arrendondo who was a second team All American JUCO MF and Ming Wong a freshman MF from Hong Kong. Missing from the current roster is Jaime Benitez who lettered last season as a freshman and played quite a bit.

Looks like a very strong team to compete for a national championship.

As I have mentioned before, Schellas seems to be adding several strong transfers each year to the team. Currently we have this years transfers, Arredondo and Chibli plus Adrian Chevannes (Clemson), Scott Geppert (Brown), the Mariel brothers (UMBC) and Ben Shuleva (St. John's).
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MustangFan » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:15 pm

Don't know the new kids, of course, but those other transfers are all good players. Chevannes and Shuleva are monsters. Geppert is right there with them (didn't Coach Hyndman say he was the team's best forward last year before he got hurt?) The Mariel brothers didn't play a lot last year, but they have a lot of talent.

Just speaks to the desire good players have to play at a great school for a great coach.
MustangFan
All-American

Postby Otto » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:03 am

So this kid has to sit out 2007? Or has he already sat out?
Otto
Heisman

Postby mustangbill67 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:26 am

In soccer, I believe you can transfer at least once without sitting out. I believe this is true for all sports except football and basketball. Over the past four years, Schellas has brought in one or two top transfers each year.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby southerncomfort » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:00 am

Did Jaime transfer out of SMU? I don't remember seeing his name and I haven't seen him around...and well I guess he did since his name isn't on the roster anymore.
southerncomfort
Varsity

Postby mustangbill67 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:56 am

southerncomfort wrote:Did Jaime transfer out of SMU? I don't remember seeing his name and I haven't seen him around...and well I guess he did since his name isn't on the roster anymore.

I do not know what happened to him. Could be many things including grades, going pro (there are now seveal pro leagues below MLS), getting kicked off the team or transfering. As I recall, Jaime was from the Austin area but played youth soccer for the FC Dallas youth team. In any event, sorry to lose him. He was a very good player with great potential. Who knows, he could return next season.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyPride » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:21 am

I thought he played at Carrollton Creekview.
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangbill67 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:20 am

PonyPride wrote:I thought he played at Carrollton Creekview.

Your right! It is Leone Cruz who is from the Austin area (Round Rock) and who was on the FC Texas youth team. Got them confused.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Other Sports