PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Home Openers

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Home Openers

Postby Oldkeeper » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:18 pm

Home openers for both the men and women's soccer teams. Come out and support them!
I know my rights, man.
Oldkeeper
Scout Team

Postby smupony94 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:14 pm

Watching the men's game online wish I knew what the score is
smupony94
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smupony94 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:50 pm

0-0 at half. To the SID turn of the mics. I am tired of listening to two guys talking about how they are only taking 3 classes this year.
smupony94

Postby smupony94 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:13 pm

STL up 1-0 is this a home game or what? The crowd roared when they scored
smupony94

Postby smupony94 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:04 pm

1-1 and headed to overtime
smupony94

Postby smupony94 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:17 pm

First overtime over still 1-1
smupony94

Postby smupony94 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:30 pm

Ends in a tie 1-1
smupony94

Postby SMUguy » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:16 am

Kudos to Schellas and the guys for not quitting. We had someone ejected and played a man short, and dominated after we played a man down. Ryan Mirsky and Jeff Harwell were sensational. SLU did a good job marking Bruno Guarda nearly out of the match (even though he was the one who earned — and converted — the tying penalty kick). Leon Cruz is going to be an absolute stud before he's through.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby PonyPride » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:17 am

The guys played hard. Two guys of the three with lingering injuries — F Paulo da Silva and MF Ben Shuleva — played. da Silva played extremely well, considering he's still (I gather) in some pain. Shuleva looked a little hesitant at times, which is understandable with that knee. After years of having a relative small team, especially on defense, it was nice to see Mirsky and Cruz back there — they're huge. Guarda played OK, but St. Louis (wisely) tried to mark him out of the game. The ejection was questionable. Hard tackle, but I'm not sure Manuel Mariel was trying to hurt anyone. Honestly, the call could have gone either way. Freshman D Patrick Clendenny was very good, very poised for a freshman (and against a very good St. Louis right wing).

Sorry to see them come away with a tie at home, especially against a lower-ranked team, but the fact that the Ponies came back to tie while playing a man down means they shouldn't slip much (if at all) in the rankings. Looking forward to next weekend!
PonyPride

Postby mustangbill67 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:46 pm

smupony94 wrote:STL up 1-0 is this a home game or what? The crowd roared when they scored

I was setting in the middle of a very vocal crowd. Trust me, it was not a
roar but a collective grown.

Clendenny as a true freshman, I believe played every minute of the game. He was outstanding. He is big, skillful, very fast and physical. I would look for him to move into the middle at the back in seveal years. A fantastic signing out of St. Louis by Schellas. Jeff Harwell continues to impress. He does have a temper that keeps him at odds with the coaches on occasion but when the going is tough you want Jeff in the game . He is a player. All in all, SMU was clearly a better team than St. Louis. We created tons of great chances but simply could not finish. This has to get better.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CalallenStang » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:36 pm

I felt like the officiating was pretty one-sided (and not in our favor). The linesman on the southwest sideline in particular made bad call after bad call (seriously, how did St. Louis throw it in after they kicked it out...three times???).

Gotta give credit to the Mustangs for playing their hearts out, but there were lots of chances where they just didn't finish.
CalallenStang

Postby Roach » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:43 am

You're right, CS, that linesman had a nightmare of a game. The ref in the women's game was even worse. Hopefully we never see that clown at Westcott again.

Can't wait for the men's game against Virginia Friday night. Should be a fantastic game.

GO PONIES!
Plagiarize!
Let no one else's work evade your eyes.
Remember why the good lord made your eyes.
So don't shade your eyes, just
Plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize!

(Only be sure always to call it, please .... "research.")
Roach
Heisman

Return to Other Sports