PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Mustangs beat Georgetown 1-0

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Mustangs beat Georgetown 1-0

Postby mustangbill67 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:37 pm

SMU beat Georgetown 1-0 to win the Mi Cocina Classic at Westcott Field. SMU dominated play but seemed somewhat disorganized and sloppy in a game played on a wet field with a few light showers. Gabe Arredondo, who was a Juco All American at Tyler Junior College, scored the goal in the first half on a beautiful long hard low shot. I understand Schellas discovered Gabe during a scrimage with Tyler last year. This is a very good team and fun to watch but it will take awhile for all the pieces to come together.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyPride » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:18 pm

With the risk of hangover from the Virginia annihilation two days before, and with the rain-slicked field (that that causes mistakes, often ot the lesser team's advantage), it was a nerve-racking day. More methodical than anything, and the defensive unit of Ryan Mirsky, Adrian Chevannes, Leone Cruz and Patrick Clendenny (and midfielder Ben Shuleva, who has to be included in any discussion about the team's defense) looks like it has the potential to be extraordinary … eventually.
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangbill67 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:41 pm

PonyPride wrote:With the risk of hangover from the Virginia annihilation two days before, and with the rain-slicked field (that that causes mistakes, often ot the lesser team's advantage), it was a nerve-racking day. More methodical than anything, and the defensive unit of Ryan Mirsky, Adrian Chevannes, Leone Cruz and Patrick Clendenny (and midfielder Ben Shuleva, who has to be included in any discussion about the team's defense) looks like it has the potential to be extraordinary … eventually.

I fully agree that our defense has the potential to be great. Perhaps the best ever overall. They just need to be focused for the entire 90 minutes. The fact our attacking midfield is also outstanding and does fall back and play defense does not hurt.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyPride » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:04 am

Best ever? That's a big statement. As talented as these guys are — and they are EXTREMELY talented — I'd say they have a long way to go to surpass the unit from the late '80s of Kevin Grimes, David Carlson, Patrick Krejs, et al. (Yes, I'm 400 years old. What of it?)
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangbill67 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:08 pm

Well I have been following SMU soccer since the Jimmy Benedek days and there have been many, many great defenders and defensive midfielders at SMU. However, as soccer as progressed over the past 25 years in the US, kids playing the game at a high level in my opinion have on the whole more tallent, skill and athleticism than the kids of old. The competition is stronger as well. Just look at the progress the youth and adult national teams have made on the international level and the pool of players these national teams have to draw from. I am just saying that this current group of defenders has the potential to be great. Time will tell.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Other Sports