PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Former SMU coach's wake of destruction getting larger

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Former SMU coach's wake of destruction getting larger

Postby HorsePower » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:13 pm

First Greg Ryan trashed a solid SMU women's soccer team. Now his idiocy has screwed up the U.S. women's National Team.

First of all, how he got that job defies all logic. He's a bad coach, through and through. He took a team that had SHUT OUT every team it played in the women's World Cup, and then benched the goalkeeper (Hope Solo) who pitched those shutouts in favor off Brianna Scurry, a veteran with a strong resumé, but certainly not the keeper with the hot hand(s).

U.S. got bombed by Brazil, 4-0, this morning, and Solo came out and called out Ryan, saying it was a bad decision, that she would have made the saves Scurry didn't. Maybe it's bad karma to say you're better than a teammate, but she was the hot keeper and removing her was nothing short of moronic. It's not like she was a pitcher in the late innings who was way over a predetermined pitch count. This was Ryan trying once again to show how smart he is. Unfortunately, he proved it beyond a shadow of a doubt.

He was allowed to quit at SMU to accept another job (Colorado College). I hope he gets fired from the National Team before he gets a chance to quit with his tail between his legs. Fire him — he's an embarrassment.
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby Paladin » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:20 pm

Horsepower,

Please go ahead and tell us what you really think of coach Ryan.
Paladin
All-American

Postby jkflamebo » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:52 pm

what about that heather mitts? wow...
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUguy » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:58 pm

Heather Mitts was a decent-but-not-great player who is fantastic to look at. How A.J. Feeley landed her ranks up there with Stonehenge and the Egyptian Sphinxes.

Horsepower is exactly right. Greg Ryan is an absolute joke who must have compromising pictures on a lot of people. He sucked here and he sucked at Colorado College, and he sucks on the international level. That team should have beaten Brazil. Not saying they should have shut them out, but we sure should have won. Hopefully US Soccer does the right thing and cuts him loose.

Will be very interesting to see how we play — and who's between the pipes — in the consolation game against Norway.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby jkflamebo » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:05 am

yea i like looking at heather mitts
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangbill67 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:18 am

What is sad is that it takes a major screwup like this to bring any attention to the U. S. Women's team and its accomplishments. I just do not understand why Ryan would make the goalkeeper change under the circumstances. Totally destroyed team chemistry.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:21 am

John Riggins kept playing the excerpt of Solo's comments about Ryan on his radio show last night. Then he commented that she looks like she must be a good goaltender because she certainly isn't great looking and then asked if she had taken a few shots to the face. Ouch!!! You can take John out of the bar, but you can't take the bar out of John.
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Red+BlueDude » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:55 am

Riggins is my all-time favorite player in any sport, but he's absolutely wrong on this one. She's not Heather Mitts, but she's still really good-looking.

I thought SMUguy was going to say that figuring out how A.J. Feely got Heather Mitts was like figuring out how Greg Ryan ended up coaching the national team. :D
Red+BlueDude
Varsity

Postby EastStang » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:03 am

Don't get me wrong. Riggo was clearly the best running back in Redskins history and for one playoff run, pretty much carried them on his back. He also commented that he couldn't believe that Portis wasn't going ballistic when Betts was put in on the final goal line plays last Sunday. He said that he would have.
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby 91Stang » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:04 pm

I watched that game twice.
That guy shouldn't coach sorority soccer.
HOCKEY'S BACK!
91Stang
Varsity

Return to Other Sports