PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Women's soccer announcers

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Women's soccer announcers

Postby Big Easy Pony » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:27 am

Did anyone else watch the CSTV broadcast yesterday?

They talked as if Conference USA is the epicenter of women's soccer, which is the message they should deliver if they're trying to build viewership. If that's the case, how can you announce games and not know that Central Florida is the Knights - not the Golden Knights - and has been for a few years now?

Those two were horrendous. It was obvious that neither one of them had ever seen SMU or UCF play before. Sounded like they just watched a few games, wrote down a bunch of stuff they heard other announcers say, and then randomly threw it out there with no concept of what to say when. It sounded like it would sound if we got Rich and Craig to call a rodeo or a curling match/game/competition/whatever.

The best they could come up with was "so-and-so is 'clever' ..." Thanks for the insight. That helps if we're asking the players to solve some sort of elaborate scientific problem. But when someone takes off on a straight-line sprint down the field, that (to me, at least) doesn't make someone clever - makes them fast, maybe, but not clever.

Tough to watch us get thumped yesterday. Hope we get straightened out before the CUSA tournament.
Big Easy Pony
Varsity

Postby PonyPride » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:14 am

Interesting, since the game has not been showed yet. I'm guessing we should assume you were in attendance?

The announcers have seen SMU play before - several times. Not sure how many times either has seen UCF.
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Women's soccer announcers

Postby MustangStealth » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:50 pm

Big Easy Pony wrote: If that's the case, how can you announce games and not know that Central Florida is the Knights - not the Golden Knights - and has been for a few years now?

Actually they only changed the name this past summer.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Otto » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:14 pm

OK, last summer.

How do announcers not know that?

I haven't seen the broadcast yet, but that's pretty sad.
I really shouldn't drink and type.
Otto
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:42 am

MustangStealth wrote:
Big Easy Pony wrote: If that's the case, how can you announce games and not know that Central Florida is the Knights - not the Golden Knights - and has been for a few years now?

Why? Did the NCAA say they were degrading gold?
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Oldkeeper » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:59 am

Women's team drops out of regional rankings for the first time. It is warranted based on record. They are playing an entertaining style but are having problems putting it in the back of th net. Comments?
I know my rights, man.
Oldkeeper
Scout Team

Postby smu diamond m » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:09 am

mrydel wrote:
MustangStealth wrote:

Why? Did the NCAA say they were degrading gold?

B
Sir, shooting-star, sir.
Frosh 2005 (TEN YEARS AGO!?!)
The original Heavy Metal.
smu diamond m
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony4Life » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:46 am

Oldkeeper wrote:Women's team drops out of regional rankings for the first time. It is warranted based on record. They are playing an entertaining style but are having problems putting it in the back of th net. Comments?
Ugly at the moment - I think we're batting .500 in the wins department and have been shut out in three straight games. Surely that's not all because of Krystal Bailey's injury, even as talented as she is. To me, this is a case where the ball just isn't going in (hit the pipe three times Sunday, and just missed high or wide a few more), but when it does, it might go in a lot. There's a lot of offensive talent here - Kimber Bailey, Kim Peabody, Allison Brill, Lauren Shepherd, Kristen Maderos - and once they break through, they just might blow up a scoreboard.
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby Oldkeeper » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:51 am

Tough weekend ahead and they need wins to qualify for the CUSA tournament. I certainly like their playing style and I hope you are right and they get the lid off the goal.
I know my rights, man.
Oldkeeper
Scout Team

Postby Dark Horse » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:40 pm

Surely we'll qualify for the conference tournament. I know the team's in a bit of a rut at the moment, but we weren't picked as preseason conference champs by accident. Let's break the scoring drought this weekend and bounce back strong. I'm tired of reading about UTEP and schools like that thinking they're soccer schools - there's a reason their coach applied for our job and didn't even score an interview. Kick some tail at UAB and Memphis this weekend, and set the balance of power back the way it should be.
Dark Horse
All-American

Postby ponyup10 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:28 pm

Right now SMU sits 10th in the 12 team conference. Only the top 8 teams make the tournament. If they don't get things fixed soon they wont have to worry about the tourney.
ponyup10
Junior Varsity

Return to Other Sports