PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Women's Soccer lose 5th straight game

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Women's Soccer lose 5th straight game

Postby mustangbill67 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:10 am

The womens's soccer team has now lost 5 straight conference games with its loss today against Memphis 3-1. Anyone know what is going on? I thought we were a favorite for the conference championship at the beginning of the season.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:43 am

Sorry to say Bill, but some had us picked as Conference Champs in football too.

That said, you are the soccer guru. I certainly do not know the problem.
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:48 am

Don't know what it is. Saw only one game on TV and we seemed to dominate it, and then gave up a turnover goal and suddenly we're behind 2-0. Not sure if its focus, injuries, or a new coach.
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Oldkeeper » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:20 pm

Many theories and all probably contibuting. I've seen several games including the last one. Injuries hurt. Crystal being out doesn't help but we have other forwards. Carly Phillips is certainly missed and hopefully will be back next week. I believe she is our best all-round player and anchors the defense. Ashley Gunter was out with the flu this weekend but the freshman keeper played well.

We are in a scoring slump with just 2 goals in the last 5 games. We have not had control of midfield in a long time. Without that it is tough to generate offense. No one has stepped up to be dominant in this part of the field and control the game. I don't know the reason as I don't know the personel. I doubt it is lack of desire, but overall confidence is down.

With 3 conference games left they are all must win. I have confidence they can win the last two but they have to beat Rice this Friday. If they win all three it gives them 4 conference wins and an outside shot at getting in the tournament and anything can happen there.

Being a cross-country fan I urge the campus to attend this weekends games in droves! Set an attendance record! These ladies need the support now more than ever. (I cringe but...) Pony Up!
I know my rights, man.
Oldkeeper
Scout Team

Return to Other Sports