PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Men take Bradley 1-0

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Men take Bradley 1-0

Postby mustangbill67 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:15 pm

In what I thought was a very lackluster performance on a cool night, the SMU men beat Bradley of the MVC 1-0 at Westcott. The lone score came during the first 15 minutes on a set play around 10 yards outside the penalty area. Scott Corbin hit a great ball across the area to the far post that Scott Geppert headed down into the goal. After that the game turned into a boring kickball match with both sides getting numerous good chances that each failed to convert. Although the Ponies won, this was not a good tune up for either the CUSA tournament or the dance. We were very sloppy on defense, could not consistently control the mid field and were not creative on offense. This was not because Bradley was good but because of what I believe was a basic lack of concentration. This team has tremendous potential but it needs to learn to play the entire 90 minutes at a high level of effort, concentration and creativity. My opinion after seeing this team play many times.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby horseshoe hilltop » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:27 am

I was at the game, and we got incredibly lucky. Bradley had a shot hit the crossbar from in close and it appeared to have bounced on the ground past the goal line. It sure as hell looked like a goal to me and everyone else. That would and should have tied the game 1-1 in the second half.
horseshoe hilltop
Junior Varsity

Postby EastStang » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:54 am

Sometimes the refs get it wrong. Part of sports. We were mugged by Kentucky when the ref kept his whistle in his pocket, so bad calls even out as the season goes on. I agree though that we seem to style things instead of just grinding our opponants into dust which we clearly have the talent to accomplish.
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony94 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:06 am

Looking forward to a great tournament...the team should make a long run!
Pony94
All-American

Return to Other Sports