PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Revenge!

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Revenge!

Postby SMUguy » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:37 am

We need to get past FIU first, but I'm hoping SMU and Kentucky get through to the second round of the C-USA tournament. I bet there are some guys who play for Coach Hyndman who would love another crack at those guys.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby mustangbill67 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:04 pm

I do not care about revenge. I just want to win this tournament and get a high seed in the dance. Hopefully, not play UCSB.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Otto » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:09 pm

I'd like to see the guys get a crack at Kentucky in the CUSA tournament and get a shot at UCSB in the big tournament.

Where's the final four this year?
I really shouldn't drink and type.
Otto
Heisman

Postby mustangbill67 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:46 pm

Otto wrote:I'd like to see the guys get a crack at Kentucky in the CUSA tournament and get a shot at UCSB in the big tournament.

Where's the final four this year?

North Carolina State hosts at Cary, NC in mid-December. If we have to play UCSB, I hope it is at home and later in the tournament. We do not match up well.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby jkflamebo » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:54 pm

mustangbill67 wrote:I do not care about revenge. I just want to win this tournament and get a high seed in the dance. Hopefully, not play UCSB.

i second those sentiments. i watched ucsb on fsc at one point this year, they look just as good they did on westcott last fall. i have minimal expectations after last years let down for mens soccer. hope we can put together a run like we did two years ago
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

Postby Terry Webster » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:05 pm

No revenge. Men lose in round one of the tourney 3-1. Hate to say it, but they look like they are in post season form already.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby jkflamebo » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:46 pm

what a disaster. losing 3-1 to a team that won 4 games this year? schellas has his work cut out for him
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:23 pm

Any details? Did they get lucky, we pressed and then they got some quick strike goals? Or did they just whup us for the entire game?
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangbill67 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:34 pm

Looking at game tracker, we led 1-0 at halftime but let in 3 second half goals. It also looks like we had many more shots on goal. Same old story, cannot finish and sloppy defense. What a disaster. This team does not appear to be focused. Lose regular season championship in last game and then get beat by FIU. Hopefully, we will squeak into the dance but do not plan on many if any home games. We continue to underperform when it counts.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby jkflamebo » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:46 pm

absolutely ridiculous that this team loses to team that has only 3 wins. i dont understand these tendencies to flop in these big games
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyfan84 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:12 pm

jkflamebo wrote:absolutely ridiculous that this team loses to team that has only 3 wins. i dont understand these tendencies to flop in these big games

seriously. i never come to this section of the boards, but when I read about the loss I couldn't help it. Story of SMU athletics right there. What a shame. Hopefully they can rebound in the tourney but who knows at this point!
ponyfan84
All-American

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:13 pm

I'm getting really sick of the men's soccer team totally choking in the postseason.

What gives?
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby mustangbill67 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:21 am

It is hard to criticize a program that gives you at least a top 20 finish every year, recruits well, graduates its players and has one of the most respected coaches in the country. However, there does seem to be an on-going problem with maintaining a high level of play throughout an entire season. Sometimes the team seems to lack focus and grossly under performs at critical times. Also we don't always seem to adjust well to different styles (read physical) of play. I don't know the answer or what goes behind the scenes in the program but Schellas and his staff need to closely re-evaluate the overall program during the off season. With our talent, we should be a top tournament contender every year. Maybe we will be this year, but it does not look good at this point.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangbill67 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:24 am

Well there would have been no revenge anyway. Kentucky the 3rd seed lost to Marshall 3-1.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:36 am

Actually that's a good thing. We now have to be sweating out an invite to the NCAA tourney. A Kentucky run through the tournament could have left us the odd man out. When we hit post season and the refs put their whistles in their pockets, the game gets very rough and our style is not physical. I'm afraid that we have never gotten players big enough that they can run through tackles effectively. And its tough to run around someone who is kicking you on your ankle. We need a soccer version of Clayton Korver or Donald Brashear ready to set foot on the field for the sole purpose of inflicting pain on anyone who tackles our players the wrong way.
EastStang

Next

Return to Other Sports