PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

CREIGHTON

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby horseshoe hilltop » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:08 pm

physical game = no bueno

this sucks because UIC beat Northwestern.
horseshoe hilltop
Junior Varsity

Postby mustangbill67 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:10 pm

This team was vastly overrated. The same issues in this game that we have had in many other games this year. Do not know what the solution is but other good teams have figured out how to beat our style of play. Of course, it did not help that we played with 10 men for most of the game. We need to recruit some true scoring forwards. Some top pro teams can play with a lineup of midfielders but that does not work in the NCAA. Just looking pretty does not cut it.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony_Fan » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:26 pm

Wow. same ole same ole, new year.
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:56 pm

I don't want to upset my friend mustangbill67, but this team chokes almost every year.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby mustangbill67 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:01 pm

Will not upset me because it is true. I do not understand why, with all the top talent we continually recruit, we drop out in the early rounds almost every year. Seems to be a lack of focus and desire. Very frustrating.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby George S. Patton » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:14 pm

mustangbill67 wrote:Will not upset me because it is true. I do not understand why, with all the top talent we continually recruit, we drop out in the early rounds almost every year. Seems to be a lack of focus and desire. Very frustrating.

I made that point last week, and you would have thought I was blasphemous. There is something that changes for the bad with this team once the regular season ends.

I don't know if it's the approach or whatnot or it could be Shellas has a program that is built for the regular season and it does not handle the win or go home idea well. You have to wonder if they do great in the regular season and then coast.

Disappointed for us all. Better luck in 2008.
George S. Patton

Postby jkflamebo » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:27 pm

mustangbill67 wrote:Will not upset me because it is true. I do not understand why, with all the top talent we continually recruit, we drop out in the early rounds almost every year. Seems to be a lack of focus and desire. Very frustrating.

right on point. gotta wonder as well why guys like stephen grant or leone cruz aren't getting time. i gotta say again our forwards looked terrible tonight. geppert is horrendous, never challenges anyone and slows down the pace every time. saintus has no pace or ball control. for this team to stand a chance schellas has to reassess the options at forward. need paulo back healthy next year
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

Postby QuikSStang » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:38 pm

i normally don't like to knock on coaches who have been proven winners and do great things for programs, but i'm beginning to think he just doesn't know how to coach in crucial post season games
QuikSStang
Heisman

Postby mustangbill67 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:00 am

Tulsa the number 16 seed lost at home tonight so Conf USA is out in the second round. No wonder we get no respect.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby abezontar » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:07 am

too bad we don't use a BCS type system to determine the national champion in soccer, I'm sure we would have several under our belt.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby jkflamebo » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:18 am

mustangbill67 wrote:Tulsa the number 16 seed lost at home tonight so Conf USA is out in the second round. No wonder we get no respect.

boston college #1 seed also knocked out by umass on the road!
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony Soup » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:31 am

Sad night. I like Hyndman though
Pony Soup
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dement-ed » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:36 pm

QuikSStang wrote:i normally don't like to knock on coaches who have been proven winners and do great things for programs, but i'm beginning to think he just doesn't know how to coach in crucial post season games
Stick to your policy of not ripping coaches who are proven winners. Coach Hyndman is exactly that. A few years ago, he took a team that barely made the tournament and went on the road, winning tough games at UCLA, UNC-Greensboro, etc., and took that team all the way to the final four. He's a sensational coach. You don't win 23 NCAA Tournament games without knowing "how to coach."
HOORAY, BEER!
Dement-ed
All-American

Postby EastStang » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:18 pm

Hyndmann is not the problem. It appears that there is an NCAA referee double standard for SMU in the NCAA tournament. Our guys get mugged and there are no yellows, no reds, but when a shoving match occurs because the ref has already lost control of the game because he hasn't controlled the violence, and two guys are fighting (in fact one of our guys against two of theirs), our guy gets the red card in a tournament. Look at last years UCSB game, the St. Johns game several years ago, the Maryland game, we were physcially beaten on by larger players with half the skill. Shuleva is our enforcer and did what he thought he had to do. It should have been a double toss by the ref. Or the ref double yellows one of theirs for a ticky tack foul to even the field a minute or two later. Until the NCAA decides whether it wants soccer to be played like American football, or to allow style, skill and grace in its touraments, SMU has a tough uphill climb.
EastStang

Postby ClassOf81 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:24 pm

Where was Ryan Mirsky? He's big, strong and has collected yellow cards this season like rare stamps. If he was going to play rough, last night was the time, not all the other games in which he got booked. Losing Shuleva last night ended the season.

Still wish Kenny Cooper (6-4, 220-ish) hadn't jilted us at the altar a few years back.
ClassOf81
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports