PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thank you PonyFans from SMU Women's Tennis!

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Thank you PonyFans from SMU Women's Tennis!

Postby TennisCoach » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:47 am

Dear PonyFans,

I just wanted to write a quick note thanking everyone for their support through emails, phone calls and text. (This will be the only time I write I promise) Ever since my first email to the ticket I have received tons of emails from not only the SMU community but from people around the state and even some clear across the country!

Now I know that most coaches would never attempt to walk into a show like "The Hardline" and attempt to talk about SMU and Tennis with those guys. My entire purpose was to get publicity for my team & SMU and to get them to mention SMU on the air. I know that I took an unconventional approach to advertising SMU but hey, since my first email was read on air, the ticket has mentioned "SMU Tennis" a total of 23 times in four days and so my goal was accomplished! I wanted to give a confident, laid back and fresh face to SMU so that the guys on the show know that "Hey we have some pretty awesome people over at SMU that we should support!" Some may say that me writing this letter on Ponyfans is very unconventional, but I guess I am just an unconventional coach and I love you guys!

Make no mistake; I knew EXACTLY what I was getting myself into. I knew that they in the past had not spoken highly of SMU and that is EXACTLY why I did it. I wanted a challenge and I wanted them to become fans of SMU Tennis...Even though my ways were unconventional, I wanted to win them over and I (including my entire team who was listening) think that I did that.

To let everyone know the guys on the show before, during and after were all very respectful, fun and really great guys! I expected MUCH worse and they kept it to a minimum. Let me all remind you that many tennis fans did not become tennis fans until Anna Kournikova came on the pro scene, now that she is gone, they are still tennis fans! After the show Corby said he would like to take some tennis lessons from me and Mike wanted to come and have bar-b-q at the courts with my dad...Even if this never happens, I was glad to hear that they enjoyed us!

Ponyfans thank you so much for the support that you show not only to SMU Tennis but the rest of SMU Athletics! I am so proud to be an SMU Mustang, I am proud to lead such talented ladies and I am proud that we have fans such as you to support us!

I hope to see you all at our new facility in the spring, come have some Bar-B-Q with my Pops and cheer on the SMU MUSTANGS!!!

Pony Up!

Coach Lauren Longbotham-Meisner

:D
TennisCoach

Postby docabel » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:31 pm

I say you deserve a huge round of applause for your efforts. Didn't get to hear the segment, but from what I have read here it sounds like it went well. As they say "any exposure (well almost any) is good exposure". It is nice to see SMU leaders/coaches out in the community giving a positive impression of a great school.
docabel
Heisman

Re: Thank you PonyFans from SMU Women's Tennis!

Postby Scoops » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:12 pm

First of all, kudos to you, Coach, for having the stones to enter that stinkhole of a station. Cretins though they are, they have a huge audience, and for you to brave that cesspool (and with your sister in tow?) - hats off to you.

I also like your note here .... with one exception:

TennisCoach wrote:.... Let me all remind you that many tennis fans did not become tennis fans until Anna Kournikova came on the pro scene, now that she is gone, they are still tennis fans!
I hope you're right. But just about all guys I know who ever watched AK play tennis did so for the purpose of ogling her in a short skirt, and when her so-called "career" ended, so did their so-called "tennis fandom." It was widely known that she was a hot (although overrated) girl who was a mediocre player (by pro standards), and it seemed like she got into half her tournaments because her name and sex appeal sold tickets. I don't know anyone who kept watching if she was the reason they started (which is odd, since Sharapova is far better looking, and actually can play the game.)

Personally, I like the game, although I confess I don't watch a lot. But big round of applause to you for getting out there and pushing the envelope, so to speak, to get the SMU name out there - you sound like a shorter Doherty ... he also "gets it" when it comes to marketing his sport. Hope those radio guys actually come through and check out a match or a BBQ. Kick some butt next season.
Scoops
All-American

Postby EastStang » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:25 pm

Maria Sharapova ain't bad on the eyes, either.
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ClassOf81 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:26 pm

Therein lies the evidence: 24 hours and the only comment is that Sharapova is hot.
Tennis is a nice sport, but a very hard sell. No way those ticket guys took the offer of coming out to a match seriously.
Thanks to Coach, though, for getting out there!
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby buckwheat » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:40 pm

Nice work Coach! You did a good job overall. Good thinking bringing your sister up there as well. :wink:
buckwheat
Junior Varsity

Postby SMU00 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:04 pm

Is this really a debate about watching college tennis?

Seriously, how many of you have ever been to college tennis match?

Me neither.
SMU00
Junior Varsity

Postby The XtC » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:44 am

Been to more than I can count. Used to be friends with alot of the players. Havent been in a year or two, but I can tell you that watching a little Mustang tennis with a drink and a snack is a very pleasant way to pass a sunny spring afternoon. Particularly if some of the lady swimmers and volleyball players are also sitting in the stands, so I had someone to chat with. Always enjoyed it, thoroughly.
Try not to choke on the Kool-Aid.
The XtC
Heisman

Postby SMUguy » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:05 am

Yeah, but based on what you've written in the past, you're an exception to the rule. Sounds like you go to everything.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:00 pm

While I was at SMU, I went to some tennis matches. They were fun.
EastStang

Postby centexstang » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:54 pm

I am amazed at the number of people I've run into over the last week that commented about hearing the radio show.
centexstang
Junior Varsity

Postby Junior » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:48 am

centexstang wrote:I am amazed at the number of people I've run into over the last week that commented about hearing the radio show.

People just love the Hardline.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby Peruna88 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:03 am

Corby was wearing an SMU Tennis cap today during coverage of the White Rock Marathon on Channel 8.

8)
Peruna88
All-American

Return to Other Sports