PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Men's Lacrosse

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Men's Lax

Postby Boston Pony » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:20 pm

Trust me, women's lax is to cover football, not men's lax. The women will hold 12.5 ships and will have around 25 players. NCAA mens' lax is not growing - much like other 'minors' ships are going toward major sports. Also, while some schools in the south, midwest and west play DI in women's lax, there are no DI programs west of South Bend, or south of North Carolina. DI Women are at Northwestern (3x champs, Notre Dame, Vandy, Florida, Cal, Stanford, and others).... men's lax will be club for the long future but that's okay, it's still a lot of fun.
Boston Pony
Varsity

Postby MustangLaxer » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:35 am

close boston but that is not entirely true...

Air Force has a D1 lacrosse program west of south bend.
University of Denver has a D1 lacrosse program west of south bend.
Bellarmine (KY) has a NEW D1 lacrosse program.

Florida State is rumored to be taking the leap before 2010.

Michigan has a full time head coach that actively recruits and has a tremendous relationship with the athletic department. They practice in the school's bubble and have played in the big house.

SMU Lax is quickly building a relationship with the athletic department, including meeting with Orsini. The team will obtain top 25 status this year, and Orsini's help has a lot to do with it.
MustangLaxer
Heisman

Postby NavyCrimson » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:06 am

Thx for the update. Great news.

Whatever the case, Title IX is the ruination of college athletics!!! :x
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby Water Pony » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:40 pm

smu diamond m wrote:I had a buddy that played for Whittenburg (I think that's what it's called). Lax is really big in the northeast, from what I hear.

Wittenburg (OH) is varsity, but Div. III, which is a very competitive level of lacrosse. Wittenburg plays in the North Coast Conference with Denison, Ohio Wesleyan, Oberlin, Kenyon, etc.

Once saw Denison and Ohio Wesleyan play a great game with more than 2,000 spectators.

Ohio is a hot bed of LAX.
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MustangLaxer » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:51 pm

and i know some of those teams play against michigan for warm up games...oh, and michigan usually wins

colorado college is varsity, D-III, and plays against BYU and Colorado State regularly.

Club level team (now actually called virtual varsity) does not mean non competitive. It's no longer bush league. It
MustangLaxer
Heisman

Postby Water Pony » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:00 pm

SMU Lacrosse on the Intramural Field

Pony Up
Water Pony

NCAA

Postby Boston Pony » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:25 pm

You are right, I forgot Colorado schools. Both AFA and Denver have very good programs. That being said, the mens program has it's best opportunity to build the program as a strong club similar to UM... By the way Title IX is used as an excuse for not funding, however I would think that the financial commitment to football creates more of a demand than women's sports.
Boston Pony
Varsity

Postby Dutch » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:36 pm

NavyCrimson wrote:Wasn't SMU starting an LAX team for girls in the next yr or so with men coming on board in 3 to 5 yrs? Scholarships & all that stuff?

i think there would have to be an endowment specifically made for both womens and mens prior to the school considering this.
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smu diamond m » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:11 pm

Dutch wrote:
NavyCrimson wrote:Wasn't SMU starting an LAX team for girls in the next yr or so with men coming on board in 3 to 5 yrs? Scholarships & all that stuff?

i think there would have to be an endowment specifically made for both womens and mens prior to the school considering this.

Had to get all forums, just like you....
Sir, shooting-star, sir.
Frosh 2005 (TEN YEARS AGO!?!)
The original Heavy Metal.
smu diamond m
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Water Pony » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:26 pm

smu diamond m wrote:
Dutch wrote:

Had to get all forums, just like you....

There currently is an modest endowment for Men's Lacrosse to support activities, but it isn't enough to fund a varsity level program. However, this will never occur, since we need to expand women varsity sports first, e.g. Women's Lacrosse, which would have to funded by Athletic Dept. if it occurs.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby MustangLaxer » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:06 pm

It should be noted that Mr. Crum was a huge player in helping re-establish the Women's Lacrosse program. Both his son and daughter play lacrosse.
MustangLaxer
Heisman

Postby MustangLaxer » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:18 pm

game is friday at the IM fields...BYO Chairs and BYOB
MustangLaxer
Heisman

Postby MustangLaxer » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:02 am

Bump: Game tomorrow!
MustangLaxer
Heisman

Postby Water Pony » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:43 pm

MustangLaxer wrote:game is friday at the IM fields...BYO Chairs and BYOB

Who are the Ponies playing this Friday?
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby MustangLaxer » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:11 pm

preseason ranked #16 Texas A&M...first game for both teams. An SMU victory should translate into a top 25 ranking. Biggest game of the year (up to this point ;-) )
MustangLaxer
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports