PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Chevannes picked by Colorado Rapids

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Chevannes picked by Colorado Rapids

Postby PonyPride » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:19 am

SMU player drafted to MLS
Zack Wehner, Sports Editor, zwehner@smu.edu
Issue date: 1/24/08 Section: Sports

SMU's men's soccer player Adrian Chevannes was drafted in the Major League Soccer SuperDraft last Friday. He was taken with 36th overall pick in the third round by the Colorado Rapids.

As expected, Chevannes was excited that he was drafted by an MLS team. "It feels really good to finally be able to say that I am a professional soccer player," commented Chevannes.

For the full story:
http://media.www.smudailycampus.com/med ... 5594.shtml
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Scoops » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:52 pm

Congratulations, Adrian
Scoops
All-American

Postby JasonB » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:20 pm

I know some people look at him as strictly a defender, and others as a defensive midfielder, but right now, Colorado is tryin to trade Mastroeni, which would open up the defensive midfield position for competition.

Too bad he has to go there though, the coach is awful and will stunt his growth. Colin Clarke is a really, really nice player though.
JasonB

Postby SMUFan » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:29 am

JasonB wrote:I know some people look at him as strictly a defender, and others as a defensive midfielder, but right now, Colorado is tryin to trade Mastroeni, which would open up the defensive midfield position for competition.

Too bad he has to go there though, the coach is awful and will stunt his growth. Colin Clarke is a really, really nice player though.
Clark is a nice player, and Ugo Ihemelu is even better - much better. There's been talk of a national team opportunity soon.

A defensive midfielder spot would be ideal for Chevannes, I would think. In addition to his talent on defense, he has the speed and offensive skill to really create havoc on long runs into the offensive end.

Good luck, Adrian!
SMUFan
All-American

Postby JasonB » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:29 pm

SMUFan wrote:
JasonB wrote:I know some people look at him as strictly a defender, and others as a defensive midfielder, but right now, Colorado is tryin to trade Mastroeni, which would open up the defensive midfield position for competition.

Clark is a nice player, and Ugo Ihemelu is even better - much better. There's been talk of a national team opportunity soon.

A defensive midfielder spot would be ideal for Chevannes, I would think. In addition to his talent on defense, he has the speed and offensive skill to really create havoc on long runs into the offensive end.

Good luck, Adrian!

Honestly, I follow MLS quite closely. I think Clark is actually has a lot more to his game than Ugo. Ihemelu has nice athleticism, but his reading of the game and his passing did not progress over the last two years. Clarke made a lot of strides last season, and I think he could develop into a nice player for the US if he keeps it up.
JasonB

Return to Other Sports