PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New professional women's soccer league coming to Dallas

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

New professional women's soccer league coming to Dallas

Postby Corso » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:05 am

Found this in the East Valley (Ariz.) Tribune:

A REAL KICK

A devout soccer fan and the father of twin girls, Steve Nash has decided to become an investor in the Women's Professional Soccer League. Slated to begin play in the summer of 2009, the league will have franchises in Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, New Jersey/New York, St. Louis, Washington and either the San Francisco Bay Area, North Carolina, Philadelphia or Vancouver.

Nash joined his hometown buddy, former president and CEO of Yahoo Jeff Mallett, in the venture.

Both are soccer fanatics with young girls.

"I'm not going to be a typical owner of a franchise, I invested in the league as a whole," he said. "I just want to see women have the same opportunity of men. I want to support it. I want my girls to have a professional league out there to watch and all those little girls out there to have someone to emulate and something to strive for."
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby MustangLaxer » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:29 am

glad he is out of dallas...he sounds like a supporter of title IX, that ahole
MustangLaxer
Heisman

Postby Roach » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:29 am

Classy. I'm guessing you don't have any sisters or daughters who are athletes and deserve scholarships.

What recent SMU players could have a shot? Off the top of my head:
Olivia O'Rear
Kimber Bailey
Kim Harvey (?)
I'd say Marci Miller, but she just started coaching someplace.

Others?
Plagiarize!
Let no one else's work evade your eyes.
Remember why the good lord made your eyes.
So don't shade your eyes, just
Plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize!

(Only be sure always to call it, please .... "research.")
Roach
Heisman

Postby MustangLaxer » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:27 pm

its all about big business and revenue. if the sport cannot support itself then it shouldn't have scholarships too. that money should go to supporting the travel, recruiting, etc.

life isn't fair. but it goes on.
MustangLaxer
Heisman

Postby DallasDiehard » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:17 pm

Presumably they have revenue lined up, or they wouldn't start the league. Wouldn't be surprised if they follow the MLS business plan - albeit on a smaller scale - very closely.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby Get_Some_Ponies » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:10 pm

The women's soccer league didn't work when everyone knew who Mia Hamm and Brandi Chastain were. I think it would be a hard sell and that's not for lack of talent. Who knows though, people say men's soccer would be more popular if we had better players. Aren't our women among the best players? Maybe it will be a successful league this time. Good luck Nash.
Get_Some_Ponies
All-American

Postby mustangbill67 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:51 pm

Anybody heard where the home venue will be? This league will need some kind of TV contract to have a chance to succeed. Most of the top US players are currently going to Europe to play.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Other Sports