PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

A men's swimming and diving question

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

A men's swimming and diving question

Postby EastStang » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:47 pm

I noticed that the CUSA championships had only four men's teams. SMU, ECU, Hawaii, and another team. I noticed the Big XII only had 3 men's teams, UT, A&M and Missouri. I noticed the SEC only had 8 men's teams. My question is this. Why don't the CUSA men's swimming teams align with the SEC or Big XII for swimming championships as the SEC does with CUSA for soccer? It would give our swimmers tougher competition late in the year to assist in the getting their times down. It would help in recruiting I suspect. And I suspect it would help UT and A&M in getting ready for Nationals as well if it were the Big XII. But since we help the SEC in soccer, a little cooperation ought to come back the other way in swimming. An SEC schedule would be great for our program. Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee and Florida alone would be very good challenges to help raise the challenge level for our swimmers.
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby that_evil_lady » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:41 pm

C-USA doesn't actually support men's swimming and diving at all. Technically, SMU's men's team competes as an independent. So the C-USA meet was technically an "invitational" meet of four independents. (Cal State Bakersfield is transitioning to D-I right now and isn't allowed to compete at "real" championships or NCAAs this year or next.)

I think it would be kind of cool to compete with the SEC, but I will give credit where it's due: the coaches do a great job of scheduling some tough meets. The men swam Arizona, Texas A&M and Texas this year, who are all top-20 teams (Arizona and Texas are both top-five).

The men's team will enter the NCAAs with a final regular-season ranking of 19th in the country, which is pretty outstading considering how young our divers are and the lack of depth in distance events. They might come out of NCAAs with a higher team ranking yet. :)
that_evil_lady
Recruit

Postby EastStang » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:00 pm

I don't disagree with you. But was wondering about it more from a recruiting angle and year end meet angle. As NCAA's near, swimmers need to pull out the stops to qualify and it always helps if the other swimmers are as good or better than you are. Telling recruits that they will be swimming in the Big XII championships or the SEC would probably boost the program some.
EastStang

Postby that_evil_lady » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:53 pm

I think the biggest boost to recruiting would come if we had facilities to rival any of our regional opponents'. Texas A&M, Texas, Houston (who doesn't have men's swimming)... they all have amazing natatoriums. Ours is a loud facility when it gets full (once a year) and is a "fast" pool, according to many, but the building is old and dated. A six-lane pool is archaic. But from what I've heard, the new pool is pretty much back-burnered. Again.

But I'm with you... let's make the ultimate men's swimming conference. :D
that_evil_lady
Recruit

Postby Water Pony » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:45 pm

A men's swimming conference has been discussed, particularly with the Big XII, which makes the most sense. But the comment that are facilities are dated was true 15-25 years ago.

Perkins Natatorium is a great atmosphere for a big dual meet or the Classic with all the history (National AAU's were held there in 1968) and crowd noise.

However, we can't effectively recruit, training two swimmings teams as well as the divers in such a small pool, as well as hosting post season meets.

The A.R. "Red" Barr Outdoor pool is nice for fall training, but we need an indoor 50 meter connected to it. With that we will be competitve in recruiting and training.

The latest on a new pool is that we still need a lead donor gift of $6M. We have commitments of approximately $10M, but SMU won't go forward without 80% in place.

Swimming and Diving for Men and Women will continue as good non-revenue sports, but to take it to the next level, SMU needs a new aquatic center and, subsequently, a new swimming conference. Top Ten needs to be our annual goal for men and women.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Buddha » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:25 am

that_evil_lady wrote:But from what I've heard, the new pool is pretty much back-burnered. Again.
Sigh .... that sucks. Coach Sinnott, Coach Collins and Coach Stillson have done a sensational job in that prehistoric facility year after year after year. That they can recruit anyone at all with their pool in a barn is amazing. My biggest desire for athletic facilities always has been a massive overhaul (or replacement) of Westcott Field, but a new natatorium has to be right at the top of the list.
Buddha
All-American

Postby ready4abowl » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:37 am

Buddha wrote:
that_evil_lady wrote:But from what I've heard, the new pool is pretty much back-burnered. Again.
Sigh .... that sucks. Coach Sinnott, Coach Collins and Coach Stillson have done a sensational job in that prehistoric facility year after year after year. That they can recruit anyone at all with their pool in a barn is amazing. My biggest desire for athletic facilities always has been a massive overhaul (or replacement) of Westcott Field, but a new natatorium has to be right at the top of the list.

Didn't they renovate Westcott like 2 years ago? I don't think they've changed the chlorine at Perkins in 30 years...at least not since Nuce passed away. RIP Buuhhit.
Restore the 80s Glory!
ready4abowl
Varsity

Postby EastStang » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:57 pm

I agree with the sentiments about renovating the pool and natatorium complex, and how it would improve lots of things. Of course that could entail further demolition of McElvaney beach which would of course be tragic and could cost us our most valuable recruiting tool. Although the new recreation complex has its own beach with I am sure attendant sun bathing, McIlvaney beach is strategically located. That humorous aside is to point out our very real space problem in creating a new natatorium complex with an indoor 50 meter training pool and an 8 lane 100 yard pool. Would that entail sacrificing more parking behind the freshman quad to facilities or would you close Bishop Blvd the Moody end of the Natatorium and then build outward across Bishop toward Boaz Hall?
EastStang

Postby mrydel » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:12 pm

We have one of the best Engineering schools in the country. Put the new swimming facility on top of the parking garage. Just be sure to calculate the appropriate load bearing figures. You have a combination of a new facility, a unique facility and a great view. There is also that scared that you might die in a collapse feeling to that would give a spectator an adrenaline rush.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Return to Other Sports