PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

What's the deal with the new facilities?

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

What's the deal with the new facilities?

Postby Greenwich Pony » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:09 am

I asked this elsewhere, but it may have been lost in the shuffle... It seems like we are building, or planning on building a slew of new athletic facilities, but what are pipe dreams and what are really on the table?

It seems like "Phase II" of Westcott has been around forever- the new grandstand, locker rooms, etc.

Apparently there are plans for an indoor tennis facility that I have heard everything from almost done deal to "not happening."

I hear we are building a golf facilty at the DAC, and a boathouse lord knows where...

We really need a new natatorium, but can't seem to get that done (and haven't ben able to for way too long), and swimming is one of our best programs.

The mythical Moody rennovations are allegedly out there somewhere. I think we could really do a good, classy job with Moody a la Cameron Memorial...

And I know they aren't part of the athletic department, but I hear that the Mustang Band has a new home blocked out of the Dedman Center. Considering the small size of our fan base and the fact that the Mustang Band is essentially our Kamakazi Corps and the only significant source of school spirit, I'd think somebody might work it out to keep them rockin' (or jazzin' or whatever). It can't be that big a cost to finish out a band hall- just about anything is better than under the ancient natatorium bleachers...

I know Orisini is a wizard, and he is focusing on football (and rightfully so), but it seems that none of these projects should be out of SMU's reach with an organized plan, and some would be worth the administration "Ponying Up" to complete. In mean, since we have a large chunk of the campus torn up with yet another parking garage, we might as well...
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby that_evil_lady » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:28 am

I know about the boathouse.

The new boathouse is under construction at White Rock Lake. It's scheduled to be completed in May of this year. SMU won't own that, but will instead lease space from White Rock Boathouse, Inc., who is building it. Our leased space will be approximately 7500 sq. ft. and will have enough rack space for about 32 shells and enough training space for 25-30 new ergs. The boathouse is on the opposite side of the lake from the Bathouse, over by the big brick smokestack.

The rest I've heard rumors about, but I don't know what's true and what isn't.
that_evil_lady
Recruit

Postby HorsePower » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:13 am

I'm still waiting to see the new golf facility at Dallas Athletic Club.
Word is that's going to be really amazing.
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby mustangbill67 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:04 pm

The Westcott renovation is still in the fundraising mode, I guess. I have Pony Upped. If you want to donate, you can call or email the MC and it will set it up with the gift administration folks. This donation is outside a regular MC donation. I have no idea what is the status of the project.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CalallenStang » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:21 pm

The Mustang Band does have a space in Dedman Center which will eventually become a new band hall, but the funding for finishing out the space has not yet been raised completely. If you would like to help the band out, please consider making a donation to the Diamond M Club
http://www.diamondmclub.org/default.aspx
CalallenStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby NavyCrimson » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:04 pm

I did just that Callenstang; and I really enjoy my new golf shirt - thank you very much.
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby MustangLaxer » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:36 am

Also in the works are a rec sports field complex, separate from the intramural fields...The field will feature stands as well as a broadcast PA system so we can have a more stadium like environment as well as a place to tape the games. I imagine the field will be for games only.

Men's and Women's Lacrosse, Rugby, Men's Club Soccer are among the beneficiaries...
MustangLaxer
Heisman

Postby SMUPhil » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:29 pm

Where will that rec sports field be located? That sounds like an awesome idea, and hopefully one step closer to fielding NCAA lacrosse, etc.
Sent from my Motorola brick.
SMUPhil
All-American

Postby George S. Patton » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:15 pm

The outdoor tennis court cost about $1.6 million and I'm told that should be finished this spring. They had someone step up for that will be state of the art. We really needed that.

These projects will take time. I know the other sports want to piggyback on the momentum but their time will come.
George S. Patton

Postby MustangLaxer » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:18 pm

SMUPhil wrote:Where will that rec sports field be located? That sounds like an awesome idea, and hopefully one step closer to fielding NCAA lacrosse, etc.

Because of Title IX and complete lack of funding, I don't see SMU Lacrosse going varsity until one of the lacrosse alumni makes a ton of money and donates it specifically to field not only the men's team, but a women's lax team and probably a bowling or softball team. We do have $100,000 endowment currently which does set us apart from the other virtual varsity teams at SMU and in our conference.
MustangLaxer
Heisman

Re: What's the deal with the new facilities?

Postby smu diamond m » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:42 pm

Greenwich Pony wrote:And I know they aren't part of the athletic department, but I hear that the Mustang Band has a new home blocked out of the Dedman Center. Considering the small size of our fan base and the fact that the Mustang Band is essentially our Kamakazi Corps and the only significant source of school spirit, I'd think somebody might work it out to keep them rockin' (or jazzin' or whatever). It can't be that big a cost to finish out a band hall- just about anything is better than under the ancient natatorium bleachers...

Amen. And thanks for the kind words :D
Sir, shooting-star, sir.
Frosh 2005 (TEN YEARS AGO!?!)
The original Heavy Metal.
smu diamond m
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Other Sports