PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

NCAA Division One Lacrosse Games to be played in Dallas

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

NCAA Division One Lacrosse Games to be played in Dallas

Postby MustangLaxer » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:13 am

The Patriot Cup is this Saturday and will be played at Texas Stadium.

This four game event will feature four premier high school lacrosse teams and four NCAA Division 1 teams.

9:30am @ Texas Stadium: Defending Texas State Champ Episcopal School of Dallas vs St. Mary's of Annapolis (Md)

Noon @ Texas Stadium: Navy (feat. former ESD great Gregory Clemment) vs Holy Cross

3:00 @ Texas Stadium: Army (feat. former Plano greats Tom Palesky & Nick Palesky) vs Rutgers

5:00 @ Texas Stadium: Texas State runner up Highland Park vs Tennessee State Champ Memphis University School

Should be a great day for LAX if you can get away from Greenville.

ALSO

Tuesday March 18th at 7:00 PM @ Highlander Stadium

#7 Cornell to take on #20 Denver

The game will feature 5 former Texas players. Drew Webb for Cornell is a Episcopal High School (Houston, 2004) product and was a 2 time HS All American.

Denver will feature Charlie and John Dickenson from Highland Park (2006) & Ryan Fanning from Highland Park (2007). Carlos Navvaro is a team captain on defense and is an ESD product (2002).
MustangLaxer
Heisman

Postby MustangLaxer » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:51 pm

St. Mary's of Annapolis 15
Episcopal School of Dallas 5

Navy 16
Holy Cross 3

Gregory Clement scored the 4th goal of the game on an EMO.

Army 12
Rutgers 11

Tom & Nick Palesky never saw the field.
MustangLaxer
Heisman

Postby Corso » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:42 pm

I like lacrosse, and played it (badly) in high school.

Nonetheless, I'm glad this is being played at Texas Stadium. There's no way to justify Stanford and Duke (I think) chopping up Westcott Field when they played on it a few weeks ago.

Enjoy the games.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby MustangLaxer » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:32 am

I can't wait for the men's team to chop up the field in april when we play UNT on it. Hope you are there to witness the action! Go SMU
MustangLaxer
Heisman

Postby DallasDiehard » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:07 pm

You've got to be kidding. I hope you win and all, but that field cost a fortune. Not dismissing lacrosse as unimportant, but it's not a varsity sport at SMU. Use the intramural field.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby MustangLaxer » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:12 pm

Bite your tongue buddy as the lacrosse team continues to strengthen relations with Steve Orsini, who fell in love with the game at the Naval Academy. Look at a school like Michigan, who plays in their school's field house in spite being a VIRTUAL Varsity sport. BYU, Colorado, Arizona, Florida State and even a beginning program like OU are all getting tons of support from their respective athletic departments.This isn't bush league like club sports used to be. There are too many athletes in the MCLA who would rather choose a warm weather destination for their prime years of college rather than the northeast. Lacrosse at SMU is the same way, and the athletic department wants to be apart of it. They want to contribute to our success. I would look for SMU to realistically add the Women's Lacrosse program to Varsity sports in a couple of years.
MustangLaxer
Heisman

Postby MustangLaxer » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:43 pm

And yes, they will probably be playing on Westcott, despite practicing in Ford Stadium currently.
MustangLaxer
Heisman

Postby DallasDiehard » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:49 pm

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying your game shouldn't be played. I love lacrosse, and if Steve-O loves it, great. But the university spends a ton of money on that field (the turf there and on the football practice fields looks infinitely stronger than in years past), and as great a game as lacrosse is, that field needs to be preserved for soccer. They have spring games scheduled, and if one of the players get hurt because the turf is carved up by lacrosse sticks, Coach Hyndman and Coach Erwin are going to go crazy, and rightly so.

You answered the problem yourself - artificial turf doesn't get sliced up like natural grass - play the games in Ford. When women's lacrosse is added, then facilities will be designated for those games.

Wherever you play, good luck.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby MustangLaxer » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:47 pm

I think you have been miss informed but lacrosse is played with a plastic stick and not razor blades. "slicing" up the field will not happen. the only wear and tear will come from cleats, which I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, but soccer is played with cleats as well. come check out a game. youll get a better idea of the actual wear and tear lacrosse does.
MustangLaxer
Heisman

Postby DallasDiehard » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:09 pm

Alas, I was sad to learn that the razor blades and jetpacks were barred from use .... I know exactly how it's played. I have two nephews who play, I've been to many games and I watch the college final four with them in the spring. I don't doubt that cleats damage the turf, but I also have seen many times when grass and dirt fly when players scoop the ball off the ground. The area around the crease is always beat up pretty badly. The only difference between the soccer teams' cleats and the lacrosse cleats is that the soccer cleats are paid for by SMU for varsity players. I like lacrosse, and wish you nothing but the best. There just should be another facility in which your games can be played.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby MustangLaxer » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:17 am

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. The difference is SO disagrees with you too.
MustangLaxer
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:18 am

You might see women's division 1 lacrosse before you ever see men's at SMU. Of course that depends on whether other schools in Texas go along to keep travel costs down. If SMU, TCU, Baylor, Rice, UH, UT, UNT, UTA or some combination took up the sport, it would probably be added as a women's sport. Orsini likes the sport but Title IX makes it tough for us to have it as a men's sport.
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony4Life » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:22 am

EastStang wrote:You might see women's division 1 lacrosse before you ever see men's at SMU.
That's almost a foregone conclusion, isn't it?
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Turf issues

Postby Boston Pony » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:48 pm

The only thing that gets torn up with lacrosse is the crease areas - which get worn out much like lawn tennis. Better chance that the shoes do more damage than the sticks. Lacrosse has been played on every field at SMU without much damage... not an issue for over 25 years.
Boston Pony
Varsity

Postby MustangLaxer » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:20 pm

Pony4Life wrote:
EastStang wrote:You might see women's division 1 lacrosse before you ever see men's at SMU.
That's almost a foregone conclusion, isn't it?

It is indeed, but it would be a huge success for lacrosse in general at SMU if the women's went Varsity. There is a lot of mutual support now, and it would continue no matter who moves to Varsity.
MustangLaxer
Heisman

Next

Return to Other Sports