PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Women's Swimming Finishes NCAAs in 11th Place

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Women's Swimming Finishes NCAAs in 11th Place

Postby that_evil_lady » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:51 pm

Women's Swimming and Diving Finishes in 11th Place

Mustangs Break Another SMU Record; Finish Two Points Outside the Top 10

March 22, 2008

COLUMBUS, Ohio (SMU)--The SMU women's swimming and diving team will take home a final ranking of 11th in the country, missing the top 10 by just two points. On the last day of the NCAA Championships, the Mustangs set a new SMU record in the 400 free relay and scored in a total of three events, including freshman Audra Egenolf taking seventh in platform diving.

"We had a great day," said head coach Steve Collins. "I'm really, really happy. We swam great splits tonight, including Jen Blackman's lifetime-best leading off our 400 free relay. It was very exciting to watch. We always preach that it takes a total team effort and I really believe we did that here."

The Mustangs broke the school record in the 400 free relay set in 2006. J. Blackman, Candace Blackman, Petra Klosova and Sascha Van den Branden combined for a time of 3:15.45 in the prelim round, breaking the old school record by over a second. Then, in the finals, the squad clocked a blazing-fast 3:14.86, breaking the record a second time, bettering the mark by over two full seconds. The finish was good for sixth place in the event, earning the Mustangs 26 points.

Anja Carman scored in the 200 back, taking the consolation heat by storm. Carman touched the wall in 1:54.85, scoring nine points for SMU.

Egenolf became the latest NCAA scorer in a storied SMU diving program. In the prelims, Egenolf tallied 268.00 points to put her in the top-eight for the finals. Saturday night, she managed 233.55 in the finals to notch seventh place and 12 points.

"Audra did really well tonight," said Collins. "To get herself in the finals like that, as a freshman, is really a hard thing to do. It was just awesome to see her place."

C. Blackman swam a season-fastest 49.24 in the 100 free, but did not qualify for the finals in that event.

"Three days and six sessions," remarked Collins. "The team never gave up. They just kept fighting through. I'm so proud of this team and very, very happy with the effort throughout the season and the meet. I also want to say how proud I am of the two seniors who represented us at the meet. Anja had an incredible season and really started us off with great splits. The whole team was able to build on her momentum and I think that helped carry us through. Jen also had an amazing season. She was an individual scorer in the 200 free for the first time ever, her senior year and then swam great in the relays. The two of them were great leaders for us all season and throughout this meet."

Members of the SMU women's swimming team will compete in long course trials Sunday morning before returning to Dallas. The NCAA meet marked the official end to the season, but members of the team will continue to swim in an effort to qualify for the U.S. Olympic Trials. Next on the slate will be the U.S. Grand Prix in Palo Alto, Calif. April 3-5. For the complete schedule and results, log on to SMUMustangs.com.

Eight Mustangs will take home All-American accolades for their performances:
Candace Blackman: 200 free relay, 400 free relay, 800 free relay
Jennifer Blackman: 200 free, 200 free relay, 400 free relay, 800 free relay
Devon Callaghan: 200 medley relay, 400 medley relay
Anja Carman: 100 back, 200 back, 200 medley relay, 400 medley relay
Audra Egenolf: platform diving
Petra Klosova: 200 free relay, 400 free relay, 800 free relay, 200 medley relay, 400 medley relay
Sascha Van den Branden: 200 free relay, 400 free relay, 800 free relay
Elzanne Werth: 200 medley relay, 400 medley relay

http://smumustangs.cstv.com/sports/w-swim/recaps/032208aaa.html
that_evil_lady
Recruit

Postby Corso » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:23 pm

Congratulations, Ponies!
That's an outstanding finish.
I know math wasn't my strong suit, but 11th is a top-10 finish, if you ask me.
Seriously, congratulations to Coach Collins and his team. GREAT JOB.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:53 am

When you set school records and finish sixth in an event, it tells you just how tough the competition is out there. Congratulations on a great meet, ladies.
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Water Pony » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:37 pm

Steve , Jim and the Lady Swimmers and Divers continue our strong women's tradition with regular finishes in the top 12-15. Last year I believe was 7th.

Any non-BCS school with that kind of strength in any sport needs acknowledgement and support. All we need now is a) helium injected water, b) aquatic friendly curriculums, c) pro-SMU swim referees, or d) a new natatorium with a 50M by 25yd, olympic size long course pool and diving board/platform facilites.

Answer?
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby smu diamond m » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:23 pm

Water Pony wrote:All we need now is a) helium injected water

Please explain. I'm totally serious.
Sir, shooting-star, sir.
Frosh 2005 (TEN YEARS AGO!?!)
The original Heavy Metal.
smu diamond m
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Water Pony » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:56 am

smu diamond m wrote:
Water Pony wrote:All we need now is a) helium injected water

Please explain. I'm totally serious.

Don't be.

:wink:
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby smu diamond m » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:01 am

I googled it and didn't find anything, so I wasn't quite sure if you were kidding or not
Sir, shooting-star, sir.
Frosh 2005 (TEN YEARS AGO!?!)
The original Heavy Metal.
smu diamond m
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Other Sports