PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Men's Soccer Pitches Another Shutout

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby PonyPride » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:55 pm

Oliva scores as SMU blanks FC Dallas reserves

April 13, 2008

FRISCO (SMU) - The SMU men's soccer team posted its third shutout in as many games Sunday as goalkeepers Craig Hill and Jonathan Lester combined to blank the FC Dallas reserves, 1-0, at Pizza Hut Park in Frisco.

Senior-to-be Richard Oliva, a forward during the season who has been training this spring as a defender, scored the only goal the Mustangs would need less than 10 minutes into the game when he converted an assist from midfielder Kekoa Osorio.

SMU head coach Schellas Hyndman, who has made strengthening the Mustangs' defense a priority this spring, was understandably pleased to see his team register its third straight shutout - all against professional teams - this spring.

"It's fantastic," he said of his defense's performance this spring. "When I look at what this team has accomplished this spring - these guys have done more than I could expect, and I expect a lot from this team.

"We've had to move a few guys to other positions this spring, and several have really stepped forward. It's been nice to see a lot of guys take advantage of their opportunities this spring, because when the fall comes around, we're going to have a lot of guys competing for playing time."

In addition to Oliva, several other Mustangs have played new positions this spring. Osorio, normally a forward during the 2007 season, has excelled in the defensive midfield role vacated by graduating senior Ben Shuleva, and former midfielder/forward Esteban Mariel has taken over a center defender role. Even forward Dane Saintus got a few minutes Sunday at the right defender position.

The FC Dallas reserves featured two former SMU players: midfielder Chase Wileman and forward Dario Saintus, and have been shut out twice this spring by the Ponies.

SMU will close out the spring schedule at 7 p.m. this Friday with a game against Midwestern State at Westcott Field.

SMU, the only Division I athletic program in Dallas, Texas, sponsors 17 sports and has been ranked as the top school in its conference for 10 straight years in the Director's Cup overall athletic rankings. More information about SMU and its coaches, athletes and teams is available at www.SMUMustangs.com.
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PerunaPunch » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:23 am

Way to go Mustangs! Bring on the FC Dallas starters!!
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Otto » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:37 am

Might as well - already shut out their reserves twice, and beat the KC Wizards FULL TEAM on a neutral field.

With good health, this is the year Coach Hyndman gets his national title! GO MUSTANGS!
I really shouldn't drink and type.
Otto
Heisman

Postby smu diamond m » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:04 pm

This team is ludicrous. Good job guys
Sir, shooting-star, sir.
Frosh 2005 (TEN YEARS AGO!?!)
The original Heavy Metal.
smu diamond m
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MustangLaxer » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:12 pm

beating KC is legit, but the FC Dallas reserves I would hope to take care of. Tell me anyone on that team that is impressive.
MustangLaxer
Heisman

Postby mustangbill67 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:28 am

MustangLaxer wrote:beating KC is legit, but the FC Dallas reserves I would hope to take care of. Tell me anyone on that team that is impressive.

FC Dallas has a number of young (under 20), outstanding players on its roster. Some are hurt and some are away on national under 20 team duty. I do not know who played for the reserves. Could have been some players off its under 19 youth team. In any event, a great spring result.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MustangLaxer » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:36 am

Thats what I'm saying. Why aren't these kids playing college ball instead of an MLS reserve team? A think a top 25 team should handle a reserve team in the MLS
MustangLaxer
Heisman

Postby smu diamond m » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:57 am

MustangLaxer wrote:Thats what I'm saying. Why aren't these kids playing college ball instead of an MLS reserve team? A think a top 25 team should handle a reserve team in the MLS

Only a fraction of college players will go pro, reserve or starter. Everybody on that reserve team went pro. They're still good. It's not easy, regardless.
Sir, shooting-star, sir.
Frosh 2005 (TEN YEARS AGO!?!)
The original Heavy Metal.
smu diamond m
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MustangLaxer » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:57 pm

maybe only a fraction go pro because their SMU degree will earn them more money then the 45 grand you get being an MLS reserve roster player...
MustangLaxer
Heisman

Return to Other Sports