PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Men's Tennis Dissects Horned Frogs

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby PonyPride » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:26 pm

No. 47 Mustangs Down No. 36 TCU

April 16, 2008

DALLAS (SMU)--The No. 47 SMU men's tennis team routed cross-town rival No. 36 TCU Wednesday in the Mustangs' regular season finale. The victory was the sixth-straight for SMU and brought the team's record to 19-7 this season.

The Horned Frogs slipped to 18-7.

The doubles competition was strong for the Mustangs, as the team ponied up wins at the first and third spots. The No. 1 pair of David Kuczer and Robin Fahgen downed the doubles team of Cosmin Cotet and Adrian Simon, 8-6, giving the duo its fourth consecutive win. At No. 3, Alex Skrypko and Adolfo Solares picked up their third straight win, notching an 8-6 decision over Zach Nichols and Casey Powers.

With a 1-0 SMU advantage, the teams moved into singles play. Kuczer was the first Mustang off the court, taking a tough 6-1, 6-1 loss at No. 1 to 36th-ranked Cotet, evening the match score at 1-1. Fahgen posted a big win over Emanu Brighiu at No. 2, taking the match 6-0, 6-4 and giving the Mustangs the advantage once again. Solares piled on, downing Simon in straight sets at No. 5, 6-2, 6-2. Skrypko gave SMU match point when he defeated Nichols at No. 3, 6-3, 6-3.

The match decided, Chris Hooshyar was robbed of a victory at No. 6, where he was ahead of Powers, 7-5, 5-1, when the match was called.

"Our doubles keep getting better," said head coach Carl Neufeld. "That really carries through the match. We beat a very good No. 1 team from TCU. The doubles point is very important in a match like this. That said, the singles play was super, by everyone in the lineup all around. David [Kuczer] lost a tough match at No. 1 by a very good player who was playing very well, but I really think everyone is playing at their personal best. That's exciting to see, especially from the seniors. That's the goal of the team, to be playing at their personal bests."

The Mustangs have little time to rest before hosting the Conference USA Men's Tennis Championships this Friday, April 18 at 2pm. The Mustangs will square off against Memphis, who they defeated, 6-1, on March 29. For complete tournament coverage, visit the tournament central page here.

SMU Mustangs 4, TCU Men's Tennis 1

Singles competition
1. #36 Cosmin Cotet (TCU) def. #124 David Kuczer (SMU) 6-1, 6-1
2. #91 Robin Fahgen (SMU) def. Emanu Brighiu (TCU) 6-0, 6-4
3. Alex Skrypko (SMU) def. Zach Nichols (TCU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Oivind Alver (SMU) vs. Kriegler Brink (TCU) 6-3, 1-6, 1-4, unfinished
5. Adolfo Solares (SMU) def. Adrian Simon (TCU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Chris Hooshyar (SMU) vs. Casey Powers (TCU) 7-5, 5-1, unfinished

Doubles competition
1. David Kuczer/Robin Fahgen (SMU) def. Cosmin Cotet/Adrian Simon (TCU) 8-6
2. Kriegler Brink/Emanu Brighiu (TCU) def. Oivind Alver/Chris Hooshyar (SMU) 8-5
3. Alex Skrypko/Adolfo Solares (SMU) def. Zach Nichols/Casey Powers (TCU) 8-6
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby jkflamebo » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:59 pm

went to the match today and we heckled the [deleted] outta some of the tcu players. one of them asked an official if they could eject us, didnt really work. we melted down that powers kid pretty good and almost had an altercation, pretty entertaining
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyPride » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:19 pm

You talked trash at a tennis match? Awesome!

Congratulations to Coach Neufeld and his team. This is at least the third time this year the Mustangs have beaten a team with a higher national ranking.
PonyPride

Postby George S. Patton » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:13 pm

jkflamebo wrote:went to the match today and we heckled the [deleted] outta some of the tcu players. one of them asked an official if they could eject us, didnt really work. we melted down that powers kid pretty good and almost had an altercation, pretty entertaining

Typical of those purple puss bags.
George S. Patton

Postby smu diamond m » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:48 pm

jkflamebo wrote:went to the match today and we heckled the [deleted] outta some of the tcu players. one of them asked an official if they could eject us, didnt really work. we melted down that powers kid pretty good and almost had an altercation, pretty entertaining

You have GOT to call when this stuff goes down JK. We woulda gotten him kicked out of the NCAA had I been there
Sir, shooting-star, sir.
Frosh 2005 (TEN YEARS AGO!?!)
The original Heavy Metal.
smu diamond m
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Scoops » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:36 pm

Have we beaten Froggy High this year in every sport but football?
Don't get me wrong, I want the Skillet back, but that's really impressive.
And really damn enjoyable.
Love the headline, too. DISSECTS? Nice.
Scoops
All-American

Postby George S. Patton » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:15 am

Scoops wrote:Have we beaten Froggy High this year in every sport but football?
Don't get me wrong, I want the Skillet back, but that's really impressive.
And really damn enjoyable.
Love the headline, too. DISSECTS? Nice.

I think we lost to them in women's tennis.

But the wins are in:
Men's basketball
Women's basketball
Women's soccer
Men's tennis
Lacrosse
Men's swimming

That's all I can think of.
George S. Patton

Postby PonyKai » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:04 am

Hockey: 7-1 SMU
PonyKai

Postby Scoops » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:33 pm

Sorry - I meant NCAA-recognized varsity teams.
Forgot about women's tennis - thanks Patton.
Still damn impressive.
Scoops
All-American

Return to Other Sports