PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Schellas Hyndman

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Lefty » Fri May 30, 2008 11:43 am

Someone out there has a soccer blog:

http://wvhooligan.com/2008/05/30/dallas ... ng-search/

Says the short list for the FC Dallas job "is probably (Mexican national team coach Hugo ) Sanchez (if all possible), Oscar Pareja, and the owner favorite SMU coach Schellas Hyndman.
Lefty
All-American

Postby redpony » Fri May 30, 2008 4:27 pm

FCD needs a strong coach like Sanchez. Besides, he might even be able to schedule a 'friendly' with the 'tri-colores'. That would definitely draw a crowd. :lol: :lol:

GO PONIES!!!!
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby JasonB » Fri May 30, 2008 5:25 pm

Schellas won't get the head coach positon at FCD. He will try to win a national championship at SMU and then take the FCD technical director position.
JasonB

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sat May 31, 2008 10:33 pm

from the DMN:

By DIEGO APARICIO / Al Dia
daparicio@aldiatx.com

Schellas Hyndman, SMU’s men’s soccer coach since 1984, denied Saturday that he has been tabbed to fill FC Dallas’ head coaching vacancy.

“I’ve had a good relationship with the Hunt family for a long time, and that’s why they always link me to FC Dallas every time they’re looking for a coach. But I haven't met with anyone,â€
MrMustang1965

Postby mrydel » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:48 am

JasonB wrote:Schellas won't get the head coach positon at FCD. He will try to win a national championship at SMU and then take the FCD technical director position.

I ask this not knowing anything about the soccer management structure, but would it be conceivable that he could take on both positions, similar to a AD/HC combination?
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby EP Pony Fan » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:28 am

Yes. The Technical Director is akin to the president with many organizations, so he could be TD and then name himself coach - in which case he'd have more job security than any other coach ......... and then if things go badly on the field or he tires of the position for some reason, he could name his own successor.
EP Pony Fan
Varsity

Postby JasonB » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:06 am

mrydel wrote:
JasonB wrote:Schellas won't get the head coach positon at FCD. He will try to win a national championship at SMU and then take the FCD technical director position.

I ask this not knowing anything about the soccer management structure, but would it be conceivable that he could take on both positions, similar to a AD/HC combination?

Unfortunately, yes. The problem is that it entails a lot more than the GM/HC hybrid you see in the NFL, because the TD is responsible for scouting abroad as well as organizing and pulling the youth system together for developing young players. It is too much for one person to do, and it will not be effective at all.

SH will at minimum take the TD position after the SMU season. There seems to be a chance that he could occupy the TD and HC positions effective immediately, and basically have the interim coach run things until he hires a full head coach after the season. That would be right up the Hunt's alley, because they are still footing the bill for the fired coach and would keep them from having two head coaches on the payroll at the same time.
JasonB

Postby Pony_Fan » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:38 pm

He's a great regular season coach - is it time for a change anyway?
Pony_Fan

Postby redpony » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:59 pm

Is it possible that we could recruit Anson Dorrance. He not only has winning teams but national champions as well. If we lose Schellas we need a big name coach that can win it all, not just regular scheduled games.

GO PONIES!!!!
redpony

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:06 pm

redpony wrote:Is it possible that we could recruit Anson Dorrance. He not only has winning teams but national champions as well. If we lose Schellas we need a big name coach that can win it all, not just regular scheduled games.

GO PONIES!!!!
Sounds like a job for....THE MOB BOSS!
MrMustang1965

Postby Jim Rome » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:36 pm

redpony wrote:Is it possible that we could recruit Anson Dorrance. He not only has winning teams but national champions as well. If we lose Schellas we need a big name coach that can win it all, not just regular scheduled games.

GO PONIES!!!!
OMG no. First of all, Dorrance wouldn't do it — he thinks he's the greatest coach ever, and that he's in the Mecca of all things soccer (North Carolina). Plus, there's no way he'd ever answer to any other AD, especially someone who has the audacity to suggest that football and men's basketball come first (those sports are big at UNC, too, but make no mistake, Dorrance has massive latitude there).

Didn't Cal coach Kevin Grimes play at SMU? I bet he gets an interview, if Coach H leaves.
I'm a Pony, and I'm a PonyFan!
Jim Rome
Junior Varsity

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:45 pm

Jim Rome wrote:Didn't Cal coach Kevin Grimes play at SMU? I bet he gets an interview, if Coach H leaves.
Played for the Mustangs from 1986-1989. 1988 and 1989 first team All-American. Graduated from The Hilltop with a bachelors degree in economics in 1990.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Grimes_(soccer)
MrMustang1965

Postby PonyPride » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:59 am

Kevin Grimes was a sensational player — Coach Hyndman called him "one of the best defenders and one of the smartest players we've ever had here." He also had a long tenure as Coach Hyndman's top assistant coach, and now is tearing it up as Cal's head coach. Brilliant player, very highly regarded coach.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby EastStang » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:10 am

There are lots of great coaches out there who were schooled by Hyndemann and could take over the reigns seemlessly. However, we need to look at something for when the post season comes around. Our finesse game works great during the regular season, but when we get to the dance, the other teams come in cleats high and throwing their weight around and we have never adjusted. If Schellas leaves I wouldn't mind talking to the UCSB coach who seems to put assassins out on the pitch.
EastStang

Postby Mustangsabu » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:10 pm

I hope that Schellas does not go to FCD, much as I love the Hoops, but I would be interested to see how, after so many years teaching students, he interacts with professionals. He is widely respected in the football world, and anyone who says that the MLS is beyond him has never watched a really top class football league game. It is also worth noting that SMU has a great record in its friendlies against FCD.
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports