PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Schellas Hyndman

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Schellas Hyndman

Postby DallasDiehard » Tue May 20, 2008 10:24 pm

FC Dallas fired its coach, Steve Morrow, this week. Now there's a rumor out there that our own Coach Hyndman is a leading candidate. I don't know much about MLS and its candidates, but it would be a massive loss if Coach Hyndman moves up to Frisco. Please don't go, Coach!

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_i ... fires.html
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby couch 'em » Wed May 21, 2008 7:49 am

We need to make it worth his time ( $$$ ) and actually make wescott look like someone actually cares about soccer with some upgrades. Then, we need to market to all the mexicans in Dallas, and fill Wescott.
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Scoops » Wed May 21, 2008 9:14 am

Found another blog on the subject:
http://allaboutsoccerideas.blogspot.com ... -fire.html

As far as replacements, SMU coach Schellas Hyndman will be in the mix, like he always is whenever Dallas looks for a new manager, but he probably will not bit yet again. That should open things up. My guess is it will be someone with limited to little head coaching history.
Scoops
All-American

Postby Scoops » Wed May 21, 2008 9:16 am

And Soccer America seems to think he's in the mix:
http://www.socceramerica.com/index.cfm? ... _aid=26605

Hitchcock hasn't set a timetable to name a replacement. SMU head coach Schellas Hyndman is a favored candidate each time Dallas fires a head coach, as is former head coach Dave Dir. Hitchcock may be hampered in his search by teams refusing to let him talk with current assistant coaches, such as Paul Mariner (New England), John Spencer (Houston) and Robert Warzycha (Columbus).
Scoops
All-American

Postby JasonB » Wed May 21, 2008 9:21 am

That would be an awful hire for FC Dallas. International players will have no respect for a college coach.

My understanding is that he is more of a candidate for the Technical Director position at FCD than the coach, and that he will take the job after the SMU season.
JasonB

Postby Scoops » Wed May 21, 2008 9:34 am

And another ... this time saying Coach Hyndman should NOT get the gig:
http://wvhooligan.com/2008/05/20/reacti ... s-release/

"Schellas Hyndman, the SMU coach has been offered the job a couple of times but has turned it down each time. Honestly, I wouldn’t offer him the job this time around. As good as he’s made SMU into these days, he hasn’t won a big one in the NCAA tournament."
Scoops
All-American

Postby jkflamebo » Wed May 21, 2008 9:52 am

schellas is a great coach and would do well in the mls. like always, he knows coaching in the mls is a gigantic joke.
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

Postby Scoops » Wed May 21, 2008 10:41 am

JasonB wrote:That would be an awful hire for FC Dallas. International players will have no respect for a college coach.
In most cases, you're right. But Coach Hyndman is going over to somewhere in the UK to teach a course that European professional coaches are required to take - his reputation far exceeds that of "a college coach."

Hope you're wrong about the other part, though.
Scoops
All-American

Postby jkflamebo » Wed May 21, 2008 2:35 pm

Scoops wrote:his reputation far exceeds that of "a college coach."

agree completely
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

Postby Scoops » Wed May 21, 2008 3:31 pm

Found another, this by ESPN.com (and former Dallas Morning News) soccer wonk Steve Davis:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/st ... s&&cc=5901

It includes:

"Morrow was Hitchcock's hire, through and through. Word was that HSG shepherds Dan and Clark Hunt preferred SMU coach Schellas Hyndman, but rightly acquiesced to the GM's choice. So Hyndman surely will be approached anew, this time more likely to finally accept HSG's persistent and flattering advances.

There will probably be two FCD posts filled, the managerial seat and a new technical director's position. Hyndman, a good and smart man, would be wise to grab that technical director's chair; there's a ton more job security.
Because the next FCD manager will the fourth in six years.

Whether it's Hyndman, Houston assistant John Spencer, Revs assistant Paul Mariner or Jose Mourinho himself, who knows what that fellow must do in Frisco to hold a steady course and satisfy fickle management?"
Scoops
All-American

Postby MustangFan » Wed May 21, 2008 5:08 pm

SMU has to keep him, no matter what it takes.
Period.
Lock him up to a long-term deal, Steve-O!
MustangFan
All-American

Postby mustangbill67 » Wed May 21, 2008 10:20 pm

I am both a fervent SMU soccer fan as well as a long time FC Dallas season ticket holder. While Schellas is an outstanding and technically competent coach, he is not what FC Dallas needs.
Management needs to pay the money to bring in a high profile manager who has proven success at a high professional level.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Casey » Wed May 21, 2008 10:40 pm

MustangFan wrote:SMU has to keep him, no matter what it takes.
Period.
How long is he under contract? This has to be the NUMBER ONE coach SMU can't let get away.
Once a Mustang, ALWAYS a Mustang!
Casey
All-American

Postby EastStang » Fri May 23, 2008 8:58 am

First I don't want to lose Coach Hyndemann either. However, realities are that he might be offered a ton of money to go to the MLS. If he is offered that, we should not get into a bidding war. The soccer program needs to hang onto its $$$ for scholarships and travel. Coach McClements is a solid assistant coach with head coaching experience and could step in seamlessly. I hope Schellas stays, but the program is more important and I think Schellas would agree with that sentiment. I suspect he'll stay until he can win a National Championship. Hopefully it will be this year.
EastStang

Postby Pony Soup » Tue May 27, 2008 8:32 am

MustangFan wrote:SMU has to keep him, no matter what it takes.
Period.

A+
It tastes better when served from a Bowl (game)!
Pony Soup
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Other Sports