PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SH resigns....

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby redpony » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:57 pm

Does anyone have any feedback on how the FC Dallas players feel about this move?

GO PONIES!!!
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby jkflamebo » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:30 pm

mrydel wrote:
jkflamebo wrote:
mrydel wrote:It is a grand day.

haha u know a lot about soccer!

Well lets wait and see. You said in the other thread that his leaving was pure rubbish so apparently you do not know too much either. He was a great coach at SMU and I am not happy he is leaving but rather happy he is bettering himself, at least in his mind. He deserves it. Now, why don't we go out and hire a coach from one of the teams that has been beating our butts in the tourney each year and see if we can move forward.

how does that mean i dont know soccer? no i dont work with smu athletics or fc dallas so i wouldnt know whether schellas would take the job or not. nice try, but u crashed and burned buddy
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyFan » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:35 pm

Steve-O had better hire someone fantastic. This is a very sad day for SMU. Yes, there are some other good coaches out there, some of whom will be interested in the job, but Coach Hyndman has given so much to so many for so many years at SMU ... this is the first time in decades - literally - that I find myself less than excited about the start of the soccer season. I'm sure I'll get over it as soon as I remember how amazing Bruno Guarda and Jeff Harwell and Scott Geppert are, and how glad I am that Leone Cruz and Paulo da Silva are back, and if the incoming freshmen are anywhere near as good as they're supposed to be, but this feels like the Cowboys without Landry on the sideline or the Lakers without Chick Hearn on the microphone. There's something inherently wrong about the idea of SMU soccer without Schellas Hyndman on the sideline.

Thank you, Coach, for all of the amazing years of soccer you've given us, and best of luck to you at FC Dallas.

I, for one, will start making trips to Frisco, just to cheer for Coach Hyndman.
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:15 pm

OK. When push comes to shove lets look at facts. I think most would admit the best football coach at SMU in the past 35 years was Ron Meyer. What happened when he left? Bobby Collins won a National Championship. Meyers kids, sure but the change did something to put them over the top. Dan Hawkins took Bosie State to prominence, but it was after he left that they went to a BCS Bowl. Jimmy Johnson won with Dallas, but Switzer stepped in and did not lose a lick. LSU has done ok without Saban, with Les Miles stepping in. It goes on and on.

No this is not soccer but the idea is the same. First we should be proud that our coach was hired for bigger and better things, at least in his mind. Second, what are you going to do? You can cry and sulk, or you can embrace the idea of a good hire that can take us up one more level to a national championship. Rather than mourning you should be supportive of both Coach Schellas and his replacement.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby mustangbill67 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:36 pm

mrydel wrote:OK. When push comes to shove lets look at facts. I think most would admit the best football coach at SMU in the past 35 years was Ron Meyer. What happened when he left? Bobby Collins won a National Championship. Meyers kids, sure but the change did something to put them over the top. Dan Hawkins took Bosie State to prominence, but it was after he left that they went to a BCS Bowl. Jimmy Johnson won with Dallas, but Switzer stepped in and did not lose a lick. LSU has done ok without Saban, with Les Miles stepping in. It goes on and on.

No this is not soccer but the idea is the same. First we should be proud that our coach was hired for bigger and better things, at least in his mind. Second, what are you going to do? You can cry and sulk, or you can embrace the idea of a good hire that can take us up one more level to a national championship. Rather than mourning you should be supportive of both Coach Schellas and his replacement.

I absolutely agree with Mark although he is over his limit in posting on the other sports board. :) Cannot wait for SMU soccer to start although it has been a good summer with the EURO's and the start of WC qualifying. Schellas and FC Dallas should be an interesting ride. I do not know how the players feel but the fan reaction overall has been negative.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:59 pm

The news has even made it to SWITZERLAND!

http://www.goal.com/en-us/Articolo.aspx ... oId=739321

A day after FC Dallas, under interim coach Marco Ferruzzi, earned an impressive 1-0 home victory over the Chicago Fire, the club announced they have a new gaffer. Schellas Hyndman, longtime head coach at Southern Methodist University, in Dallas, will take over immediately, replacing Steve Morrow, who was axed on May 21.

Hyndman, a supposed favorite of FCD's ownership, has been linked with the Hoops' job several times in the past. The 59-year-old Hall of Famer boasts a 368-98-38 record as SMU's head coach for the past 24 years.

Hyndman played professionally one season in 1975 with the Cincinnati Comets of the defunct American Soccer League. He then coached for his alma mater, Eastern Illinois, for seven years before making the move to SMU. Under Hyndman, the Mustang program produced several professional players, including Ugo Ihemelu and Colin Clark of the Colorado Rapids, Honduran international Ramon Nunez, and retired star of both MLS and the Mexican leagues Daniel Hernandez.

It remains to be seen, however, whether Hyndman, who has never coached at the professional level, can command the authority necessary to bring a talented Dallas team together. A lack of leadership and rumored rifts in the locker room, including divisions between the Latino and non-Latino players and between the older and younger players, have seen the side underperform year after year despite such quality players in the side as striker Kenny Cooper, midfielder Juan Toja, and newly acquired centerback Duilio Davino.

FCD currently sits in third place in the Western Conference, four points off the Los Angeles Galaxy's pace. Under Ferruzzi, the side had a decent record of 2-2-1. It is unclear if Hyndman will keep Ferruzzi on his staff.
MrMustang1965

Postby J.T.supporta » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:20 pm

have been MIA for a while but had a buddy of mine text me this unfortunate news.

best of luck to Schellas
J.T.supporta

Postby Scoops » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:30 am

Good point. Coach is, and always will be, a great Mustang.
Best of luck, Coach.
Scoops
All-American

Postby JasonB » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:38 am

redpony wrote:Does anyone have any feedback on how the FC Dallas players feel about this move?

GO PONIES!!!

On the record, they will say the support the new coach.

Off the record, there is a lot of concern.
JasonB

Postby ThadFilms » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:06 am

JasonB wrote:
redpony wrote:Does anyone have any feedback on how the FC Dallas players feel about this move?

GO PONIES!!!

On the record, they will say the support the new coach.

Off the record, there is a lot of concern.

I may be pegged as daft for this suggestion, and may be proven completely wrong, but I think Schellas will be great for FCD, I really do. I know when you look at American football, coaches seem to struggle when going from college to pros (not all, but see Spurrier and Saban, etc.) - but just from what, admittedly little, I know of him personally, I think he's going to do just fine and finally bring an MLS cup to Dallas (Frisco).

Super Hoops!
Eric Dickerson in Pony Excess

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms

Postby EastStang » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:32 pm

One of the best MLS coaches came from college ranks. Bruce Arena came straight off the UVa campus to coach DC United, then on to the US National team. Hyndemann's teams display a style of play that is very professional. They play their positions well and are where they are supposed to be when they are supposed to be there. They touch pass making the other team work harder. I suspect he'll do fine with FC Dallas. Just so long as they don't beat DC United.
EastStang

Previous

Return to Other Sports