PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Hyndman gone

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby jkflamebo » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:00 pm

CalallenStang wrote:
jkflamebo wrote:he's taking over bayern in the fall

Next month, actually.

Let's make Bayern search for a coach.

im sure he's gonna be doing a lot of coaching next month
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

Postby Junior » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:04 pm

by posting this here, aren't we taking the "football forum" title a little to literally?
Derail the Frogs!
Junior
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MustangPride » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:33 pm

He definitely has my vote...
MustangPride
Junior Varsity

Postby Mustangsabu » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:45 pm

Junior wrote:by posting this here, aren't we taking the "football forum" title a little to literally?

You mean by posting a story to do with a game involving a spherical ball that is played almost entirely by the players using their feet?

Sounds like football to me!

:P
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LakeHighlandsPony » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:52 pm

Hey Clark Hunt- Build us that indoor practice facility and all is forgiven ole buddy. We will even let the soccer team use it too.
LakeHighlandsPony
Hall of Famer

Postby CalallenStang » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:56 pm

jkflamebo wrote:
CalallenStang wrote:
jkflamebo wrote:he's taking over bayern in the fall

Next month, actually.

Let's make Bayern search for a coach.

im sure he's gonna be doing a lot of coaching next month

Gotta get the side in order for the upcoming season.

EDIT: This is my 2000th post
CalallenStang

Postby couch 'em » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:31 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:
Junior wrote:by posting this here, aren't we taking the "football forum" title a little to literally?

You mean by posting a story to do with a game involving a spherical ball that is played almost entirely by the players using their feet?

Sounds like football to me!

:P

No, a game played almost entirely by players using their feet sounds like "feetball".

A game played using a single ball approximately one foot long sounds like "football".
couch 'em

Postby Pony Up » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:59 pm

mustangnation wrote:I am probably going to get torched for this but I think that it is a good thing that he is gone. He took the program as far as he could and there is no reason that we should not have already have won a National Championship, at the very least played for one.

SMU is a top 5 soccer job in the country. It is the only D-1 program in the state and is in arguably the biggest hotbed for youth soccer. There is no reason that we should not be able to get the very best coach out there who will deliver that elusive National Title.
We "play for one" every year. 23 NCAA tournaments in 24 years is outrageous. Yes, we had a better chance a few times than others, but the fact that he got us in position to compete for the big prize every single year (ZERO losing seasons in 24 years?) is astounding. St. Louis has missed NCAA tournaments. Duke has missed NCAA tournaments. Maryland has missed NCAA tournaments. UConn has missed NCAA tournaments.

He had some bad luck, untimely injuries and in 2001 ran into a St. John's buzzsaw that would have beaten anyone that night. But his run of continued victories at SMU is something we likely will never see again in any sport at SMU. His longevity and continuous winning have set a standard that might be out of anyone's reach.

As much as I like him, I don't think Coach McClements has any kind of "inside track," and I'm not sure Coach Grimes is a shoe-in, either, by any stretch, although I would expect each will get an interview. I would think the names of some of the people in the mix will astound a lot of fans.
Proud to be a PonyFan
Pony Up
All-American

Postby mustangnation » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:43 am

Pony Up wrote:
mustangnation wrote:I am probably going to get torched for this but I think that it is a good thing that he is gone. He took the program as far as he could and there is no reason that we should not have already have won a National Championship, at the very least played for one.

SMU is a top 5 soccer job in the country. It is the only D-1 program in the state and is in arguably the biggest hotbed for youth soccer. There is no reason that we should not be able to get the very best coach out there who will deliver that elusive National Title.
We "play for one" every year. 23 NCAA tournaments in 24 years is outrageous. Yes, we had a better chance a few times than others, but the fact that he got us in position to compete for the big prize every single year (ZERO losing seasons in 24 years?) is astounding. St. Louis has missed NCAA tournaments. Duke has missed NCAA tournaments. Maryland has missed NCAA tournaments. UConn has missed NCAA tournaments.

He had some bad luck, untimely injuries and in 2001 ran into a St. John's buzzsaw that would have beaten anyone that night. But his run of continued victories at SMU is something we likely will never see again in any sport at SMU. His longevity and continuous winning have set a standard that might be out of anyone's reach.

As much as I like him, I don't think Coach McClements has any kind of "inside track," and I'm not sure Coach Grimes is a shoe-in, either, by any stretch, although I would expect each will get an interview. I would think the names of some of the people in the mix will astound a lot of fans.

I agree that his record has been unbelievable in his time here but I dont think that it is apples to apples comparing Duke, MAryland and some of the other traditional soccer powers. SMU has played in a weaker conference the last 10 plus years almost guaranteeing them a tournament bid. I understand that we can only play the games that are scheduled but look what happens year in and year out once a highly ranked SMU team makes the tournament. We lose in the 1st few rounds to a major conference team. I think Schellas was a hell of a coach at SMU but some new blood in here will hopefully give the program the boost to get over the numerous tournament disapointments.
mustangnation
Varsity

Previous

Return to Other Sports