PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Who should be the next men's head soccer coach?

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Who should be the next men's head soccer coach?

Postby mustangbill67 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:44 pm

mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby expony18 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:35 pm

<----- this guy
expony18
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Treadway21 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:37 pm

If so - then our goals against average will go up significantly.

Plus - you can't run the swinging gate in soccer.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby Scoops » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:28 am

What about one of the former FC Dallas coaches (Dave Dir, Steve Morrow)?
Scoops
All-American

Postby mustangbill67 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:07 am

Scoops wrote:What about one of the former FC Dallas coaches (Dave Dir, Steve Morrow)?

In addition to coaching, the college game is all about recruiting, player development and program administration and development in an academic climate. It would take a special pro coach to drop down and take over a college program. To me, Kevin Grimes is a no brainer. A former SMU All American and assistant coach who has been very successful at UCAL, with a proven history of recruiting success in the Dallas area.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Oldkeeper » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:38 am

Tim McClements- Already ran a successful though short lived Vandy program. Coached under Schellas for years.
I know my rights, man.
Oldkeeper
Scout Team

Postby JasonB » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:47 am

Scoops wrote:What about one of the former FC Dallas coaches (Dave Dir, Steve Morrow)?

Morrow knows nothing about the college game and wouldn't be interested.

As for Dir, he is the best choice for FC Dallas when they hire a Technical Director, but probably won't get the position. I don't know if he is interested, but he would be a fantastic choice. He gets along well with younger players, has a ton of knowledge and is an assistant for the US U20 team right now.
JasonB

Postby EastStang » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:40 pm

They will get some inquiries from some talented coaches. I would certainly look at Grimes and McClements for continuity reasons. But they might take a run at some of the ACC coaches. I suspect that they would relish the opportunity to recruit in Dallas Texas without much competition for players and not have to go through a meat grinder regular season like they have in the ACC. On the other hand they would come in knowing that a losing season would not be acceptable. I would like to get a coach who would get our team to play with a bit more of a toughness edge. We have played one of the most graceful and stylistic brands of soccer, I have ever seen, but when we get to the physical games, we have problems. Perhaps a coach who can combine the stylistic elements of Hyndemann with a little bit of the edginess of a UCSB or a U of Md. might take us to the next level.
EastStang

Postby Buddha » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:53 pm

Trevor Adair (Clemson head coach) is viewed as one of the premier coaches in the country.

http://clemsontigers.cstv.com/sports/m- ... vor00.html

Plus, one of my best friends owns a Clemson website, and has said SMU is "not allowed" to steal him ... so stealing him would be even funnier to me.
Buddha
All-American

Postby redpony » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:05 am

Let's hope that Steve O. moves much faster in finding a new soccer coach than he did with the football search. :lol:

GO PONIES!!!
redpony

Postby mrydel » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:15 am

I am curious if Turner would want some kind of committment to stay by Orsini before having Orsini hiring coaches. ADs are notorious for wanting their own people. If I am interviewing for the coaching job, I am kind of interested in the immediate future of an AD who has openly said he is interested in another school's job.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby redpony » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:30 am

Hey, maybe we could hire the soccer coach and let him hire the AD. Kind of an 'end around reverse'. :lol: :lol: :lol:

GO PONIES!!!
redpony

Postby smu diamond m » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:32 am

mrydel wrote:I am curious if Turner would want some kind of committment to stay by Orsini before having Orsini hiring coaches. ADs are notorious for wanting their own people. If I am interviewing for the coaching job, I am kind of interested in the immediate future of an AD who has openly said he is interested in another school's job.

Yeah, just what we need is more rolling heads around here
Sir, shooting-star, sir.
Frosh 2005 (TEN YEARS AGO!?!)
The original Heavy Metal.
smu diamond m
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:51 am

If Orsini were to leave do you suppose we could get him to take our favorite Spanish professor with him? :lol:

GO PONIES!!!
redpony

Return to Other Sports