PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Grimes already interested in SMU job

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Grimes already interested in SMU job

Postby Scoops » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:03 am

Asked if he was interested in the SMU job, Grimes said: "Absolutely. Any time you get a chance to coach at your alma mater, it would be an honor to be considered."

The whole story:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 14634.html
Scoops
All-American

Re: Grimes already interested in SMU job

Postby ThadFilms » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:24 am

Scoops wrote:Asked if he was interested in the SMU job, Grimes said: "Absolutely. Any time you get a chance to coach at your alma mater, it would be an honor to be considered."

The whole story:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 14634.html

Great news. He's my top choice..... besides Bruce Arena. And I'm not joking about Arena. Really just need to see if he is interested in coaching in college again. Steve Sampson would be a good choice too. Sorry the whole June Jones thing, and the caliber of our soccer program, has me thinking big. Bring in a big name coach and redo the stadium, it's a crime to have a top ten team play in that thing when you compare it to our other facilities.

Back to Grimes.... though I can understand the sentiment of bringing in the built in replacement (McClements), I just like the success he (Grimes) has had at Cal, and the love he obviously has for his alma mater.

But, again -- with the whole JJ thing -- I think the mob boss will be on point with this hire, and we will see some big big names. I can only hope that Wescott improvements (beautifications) are part of the deal. I don't what to anger any people who love Wescottt, but honestly that place feels like a 2A football stadium. Granted we don't need ULHOWA (Pizza Hutt Park.... Uncle Lamar's House of Whoop [deleted]) .... but something nice, red brick, please.
Eric Dickerson in Pony Excess

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby redpony » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:35 pm

If you want to destroy a successful SMU soccer program hire a retread loser like Bruce Arena. Look what he 'didn't' do for the National team.
We need a top level coach that is a proven winner.

GO PONIES!!!!
redpony

Postby CalallenStang » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:52 pm

redpony wrote:If you want to destroy a successful SMU soccer program hire a retread loser like Bruce Arena. Look what he 'didn't' do for the National team.

GO PONIES!!!!

Coaching the national side is much different than coaching in college. Bruce Arena is a great college coach...18 years at the University of Virginia, 7 of which he also served as an assistant lacrosse coach...his soccer record at UVA? 295-58-32, with FIVE national titles.

Now, Arena is not my first choice, but I'm not going to stand by and let him be called a "retread loser."

Further, let's see what he did do for the national side. From Wikipedia:

He forged the team into a successful international side, and is undisputedly the most successful coach in United States history: most international wins; longest home shut-out; best World Cup showing since 1930, reaching the quarterfinals at the 2002 World Cup, before a defeat against Germany; and all-time best international FIFA Ranking (4th place, April 2006). Arena also won two Gold Cup championships in 2002 and 2005, with a third place finish in 2003.
CalallenStang

Postby jkflamebo » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:02 pm

redpony wrote:If you want to destroy a successful SMU soccer program hire a retread loser like Bruce Arena. Look what he 'didn't' do for the National team.

GO PONIES!!!!

you're saying u dont want a coach who has coached in the world cup? sorry he couldnt beat italy, ghana, or the czech republic, kind of a hard task. yes i know were ranked 21st on those meaningless fifa rankings but it dont matter. arena has won at the college level
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangbill67 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:37 pm

Bruce would be an outstanding high profile selection. Personally, I would like to see Kevin Grimes but I would be very happy with Arena. He got his pro gig based on his college success. enough said
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:37 pm

Sorry, I didn''t realize that Ghana and the Czech Republic were such world soccer powerhouses. I guess my watching the South American teams and the Bundeslige has tainted my views.

GO PONIES!!!
redpony

Postby ThadFilms » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:42 pm

Hey redpony, Bruce Arena has forgotten more foot- ... never mind. ;)

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms

Postby redpony » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:57 pm

Hey Thad - you do a good job but do you have a 'C" coaching license. If not shut up.

GO PONIES!!!
redpony

Postby redpony » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:04 pm

Obviously, I have no respect for Bruce Arena and even less respect for Bob Bradley. The U.S. National team could have had a world-class coach in Jurgen Klinsman but the egos of the powers-to-be could not give up their stronghold on the politics of U.S. soccer. Until that changes we (the U.S.) will always be a second-class soccer organization. Hopefully, we don't let those attitudes carry into our search for a new and successful coach at SMU.

GO PONIES!!!!
redpony

Postby ThadFilms » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:11 pm

redpony wrote:Hey Thad - you do a good job but do you have a 'C" coaching license. If not shut up.

GO PONIES!!!

Hahaha.... wow, I was dropping a rehashed ponyfans joke.... I hate it that it's always brought up with PB. He said it in a press conference or a morning coach thing.... it's silly I'm sure plenty of other coaches have said the same thing. Was in the spirit of rehashing tired ponyfan lines/questions from a thread on the "Around the Hilltop Board" ... anyway, I wasn't trying to make a personal attack, nor question your football knowledge.

ThadFilms

Postby ThadFilms » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:24 pm

Couldn't find a good example of the infamous PB-ism on ponyfans, but this from the blogster:

http://smufootballblog.blogspot.com/200 ... arder.html

(And again it - "Phil Bennett has forgotten more about football" - always bugged the crap out of me that people would continue to bring it up again and again and again --- because, like I said, it's not like no one else has said it.)

ThadFilms

Postby redpony » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:37 pm

Thad- sorry if I came on a little strong. I guess it is just some of my 'soccer' frustrations coming out as I am tired of SMU and the U.S. not being able to get to the final round. Here in South America the people laugh at the U.S. when it comes to soccer. Hopefully someday day we can laugh back.

GO PONIES!!!
redpony

Postby CalallenStang » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:47 pm

redpony wrote:Hey Thad - you do a good job but do you have a 'C" coaching license. If not shut up.

GO PONIES!!!

My dad has a C license. Unfortunately, I don't see him leaving his career as an engineer to be SMU's next soccer coach.

He'd do a good job, though. He led my youth club team to a state championship one year and back to the state tourney several other years. And he did it with a team full of kids that were also playing football and baseball at the same time, and often had to miss soccer practice for other commitments.
CalallenStang

Postby mustangbill67 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:58 pm

redpony wrote:Sorry, I didn''t realize that Ghana and the Czech Republic were such world soccer powerhouses. I guess my watching the South American teams and the Bundeslige has tainted my views.

GO PONIES!!!

Exactly who beside Brazil and Argentina are the south american powerhouses over the last 5 years? The Bundeslige has become so 2nd rate, I do not even watch it anymore. Give me the EPL, Series A. La Liga and the Argentina leaque any day of the week. The U. S National team talent wise is getting better every year. It is only a matter of time for us to become a consistent top 10 team in the world.

I do not understand what you have against Bruce Arena. He proved himself at the highest collegiate levels. The requirements for a highly successful college coach are much different than for a pro or national team manager.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Other Sports