PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Grimes already interested in SMU job

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby ThadFilms » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:26 pm

redpony wrote:Thad- sorry if I came on a little strong. I guess it is just some of my 'soccer' frustrations coming out as I am tired of SMU and the U.S. not being able to get to the final round. Here in South America the people laugh at the U.S. when it comes to soccer. Hopefully someday day we can laugh back.

GO PONIES!!!

No worries, I just wanted you to know that I put that there in jest, and was maybe even taking a backhanded swipe at Arena by referencing PB.

I like where the national side is heading and, while I too wanted Klinsman, I haven't been upset with Bradley's efforts. Though the game vs. England was a travesty. I was expecting a win, but at times we didn't look overmatched, but outclassed. Though I was happy with the steady progression, one nil to Spain -- who in my opinion look to be right behind the Netherlands and inline with their peninsula mates, Portugal, as the class of the tourney. And then of, course, drawing the mythically number one ranked Argentines.

I say "mythically ranked" because the U.S. once hit fourth, and there's no way the U.S. have ever been the fourth best team in the world.

Anyway, I'd like to see Jesuit's own (my high school) Kenny Cooper get more of a chance - maybe Schellas can get him on a better track with FCD - and I hope that Altidore's transfer will get him ready for possible inclusion for South Africa. Adu's Benfica experience is already showing dividends.

I seem to always be overly concerned with the strikers on the U.S. side, because I've never felt we had that elite goal scorer. Eddie Johnson looked to be that when he first introduced himself to the international stage but has really left something to be desired since. Maybe it was the foot injury alone, or maybe it was the foot injury derailing his confidence, or maybe he was just hot against weak opponents.

CalallenStang wrote:
redpony wrote:Hey Thad - you do a good job but do you have a 'C" coaching license. If not shut up.

GO PONIES!!!

My dad has a C license. Unfortunately, I don't see him leaving his career as an engineer to be SMU's next soccer coach.

He'd do a good job, though. He led my youth club team to a state championship one year and back to the state tourney several other years. And he did it with a team full of kids that were also playing football and baseball at the same time, and often had to miss soccer practice for other commitments.

I don't have a class c license, CalallenStang, can I borrow your dad's for the next few weeks? I mean, honestly, I'll give it back.

Most of what I know about soccer comes from spending a couple years, and every summer, in Europe as a kid.... and dominating on EA Sports FIFA soccer. Then again, most of my intricate knowledge of any sport comes from playing EA Sports games. Truly, EA Sports has been the best teacher any un-athletically gifted person can ever have. I may not be able to beat you in a race, but I'll beat you down as SMU while you've got Texas, or I'll take you down with with, say, Celtic while you have Brazil - okay not anymore, I don't have a current gen game system, and none of my old ones are plugged in.

Anyway, I might no impress with my credentials, I did play soccer for about 5 years as a kid. I scored a mind numbing 2 goals. Staggering. One of them was an own goal... when I was the goalie. And I mean this was the ultimate own goal.... or best goalie was also our bes striker. I was the number two goalie. Coach decided we needed to put a premium on scoring goals. Late in the game, we're up by one in the semi-finals to the best - and undefeated - team in our league. The other team gets a break away, and they are storming down on me. I made the save of my life, diving full-extension to my right and snatching it out of the air. It was my greatest moment ever on a soccer field. I was so excited that I forgot everything, especially fundamentals, I tossed the ball up into the air slightly and promptly punted it right back into my own net. I alone am best.

My Coach: "Next time, damnit, THROW IT!!!"

I've played on a few leagues since adulthood and have scored a few more goals, took me a while though. And have returned to goal, which became my best position. Which ain't really saying all that much.

But I do talk a lot of American football and I have never played a single down of organized football. Just band football in high school and college, and intermurals in college as well...... never put the pads on, so to speak. Though I did play lacrosse in high school, so I have at one time been in pads.... just not foorball pads. For the record, I played one season of lacrosse until I found out I was lacrosse intolerant.

Actually, I had to choose lacrosse or doing *both* theatre shows every year. I chose doubling down on theatre, which, all things being equal, was the right move.
Eric Dickerson in Pony Excess

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Dubbya » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:04 pm

mustangbill67 wrote:The Bundeslige has become so 2nd rate, I do not even watch it anymore.
Sounds like the Big 10.
Dubbya
Junior Varsity

Postby redpony » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:48 am

MustangBill- I too like the EPL but can do without the Serie A as you never know when the 'fix' is on. Regarding S.A. soccer I think you will see a lot of suprises this year. Argentina and Brazil look horrible and my not even make it through the first round of qualifying. I watched them play last night to a 0-0 tie. The Brazilians no longer seem to have the 'beautiful game' and Argentina looks very disorganized. Do not laugh but watch out for Uruguay, Paraguay and Ecuador. Wish we could recruit some of these good S.A. players for SMU.

GO PONIES!!!
redpony

Postby redpony » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:57 am

Thad- I greatly dislike Bradley because he is not a coach dedicated to winning. Example- he sent a bunch of rookies to the South American tournament (Copa America) with no intent of winning. He was very successful in extending the Latin opinion that the U.S. is a joke when it comes to soccer. Mexico sure didn't send their 'scrubs'- they came to win and almost did. Any coach who does not care if he wins or not should not be coaching. Can you imagine ND sending it's frosh team to play our varsity just to get them some experience- especially in front of a national television crowd?- I doubt it.

GO PONIES!!!
redpony

Postby mustangbill67 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:38 pm

redpony wrote:MustangBill- I too like the EPL but can do without the Serie A as you never know when the 'fix' is on. Regarding S.A. soccer I think you will see a lot of suprises this year. Argentina and Brazil look horrible and my not even make it through the first round of qualifying. I watched them play last night to a 0-0 tie. The Brazilians no longer seem to have the 'beautiful game' and Argentina looks very disorganized. Do not laugh but watch out for Uruguay, Paraguay and Ecuador. Wish we could recruit some of these good S.A. players for SMU.

GO PONIES!!!

Well I would be shocked, as well as disapointed, if Brazil and Argentina, did not qualify (too many wiorld class players) . I forget how many teams go from SA (4 or 5, I believe) so it should be enjoyable TV viewing. I like all the countries you mentioned. Should be fun. What happened to Peru against Mexico?
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:17 pm

MustangBill- The Peruvian national team is a joke. I believe the U.S. team could even look good against them. I saw them the other night lose to Uruguay 6-0. Their players are party boys and more interested in having a good time than training and winning. Peru is also a very poor country and has very little money to support a national team. You can live here like a king on a very modest budget. In 'addition, the chicas are really hot and love the 'gringos'. :lol:

GO PONIES!!!!
redpony

Postby SMU Football Blog » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:06 am

GIVE THE JOB TO GRIMEY!!!
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Buddha » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:45 am

When he played at SMU, he was "Grimer" ... but I'm betting he has heard Grimey a few times, too.
Buddha
All-American

Postby mrydel » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:15 am

I guess if he is successful in recruiting he could be called the Grime Reaper.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Buddha » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:41 am

mrydel wrote:I guess if he is successful in recruiting he could be called the Grime Reaper.
Buddha
All-American

Postby EastStang » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:35 pm

redpony wrote:Thad- I greatly dislike Bradley because he is not a coach dedicated to winning. Example- he sent a bunch of rookies to the South American tournament (Copa America) with no intent of winning. He was very successful in extending the Latin opinion that the U.S. is a joke when it comes to soccer. Mexico sure didn't send their 'scrubs'- they came to win and almost did. Any coach who does not care if he wins or not should not be coaching. Can you imagine ND sending it's frosh team to play our varsity just to get them some experience- especially in front of a national television crowd?- I doubt it.

GO PONIES!!!

I have a different take on the Copa Tournament. Its called player development. He wanted to see how our younger players performed in International matches in order to better assess who should make the final World Cup roster. You can't really judge these players skill levels in friendlies because well they are friendlies. In a tournament, you get to see how these guys have progressed. Unless we keep a stock of players who have some caps in the wings, we're always going to be thin when someone goes down. Also the younger players come with more to prove than the established players who simply don't want to get hurt, so I believe it actually makes the matches better for the U.S. Bradley is doing what he has always done, try to build the sport of soccer in the U.S. He may not be the answer, but he's the only one who took the job.
EastStang

Postby RedRiverPony » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:17 pm

I hope Grimes gets the job - loved watching him play, and have read great things about him as a coach - but honestly, following Schellas is going to be a tough job. I'd rather follow the guy who follows Schellas - maybe Grimes will take that approach, too.
RedRiverPony
All-American

Postby Vitale » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:21 am

HIRE KEVIN GRIMES!
Vitale
All-American

Postby smupony94 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:01 pm

SMU Football Blog wrote:GIVE THE JOB TO GRIMEY!!!

Sorry, Frank Grimes is dead. I think his son gets out of jail soon
smupony94

Postby jkflamebo » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:32 pm

redpony wrote:Obviously, I have no respect for Bruce Arena and even less respect for Bob Bradley. The U.S. National team could have had a world-class coach in Jurgen Klinsman but the egos of the powers-to-be could not give up their stronghold on the politics of U.S. soccer. Until that changes we (the U.S.) will always be a second-class soccer organization. Hopefully, we don't let those attitudes carry into our search for a new and successful coach at SMU.

GO PONIES!!!!

your soccer "knowledge" is bogus. u dont have a clue what you're talking about. what egos in u.s. soccer???? that suni gulati guy who teaches economics classes in new york?!?!?! are u a psycho? klinsman was always reported but never wanted the job i.e. held out for the bayern munich post. the only thing i agree with u on is ur uruguay warning in a later post, they are a team with some very good players. dont know why u live in peru, that probably blows
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports