PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Candidates for soccer job

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Candidates for soccer job

Postby PonyPride » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:23 pm

If Grimes is really out - and I don't know if he is or not - here are some names worth serious consideration:

Tim McClements: knows the team better than anyone, has head coaching experience at Vanderbilt, two stints as assistant coach here, recruits north Texas, etc.

Randy Waldrum: I wasn't always a fan of this guy, because SMU used to beat him, but he's a very accomplished coach. North Texas guy, played at Midwestern State in Wichita Falls, coached men and women SIMULTANEOUSLY at Tulsa, now women's head coach at Notre Dame (how ironic) where he has enjoyed tremendous success, including a national championship.

Here's one that was thrown at me: Tatu
Seriously. He's regarded as a terrific coach (both indoor and outdoor), and while he probably won't be considered, every professional player (and coach) in Dallas over the last 20 years owes the man a debt of gratitude. He was a national star and is a living legend, and could further strengthen SMU's stranglehold on the North Texas talent. He doesn't have college coaching experience, so that would be a strike against him, but he might be a very successful coach. Interesting idea, anyway.

I don't know how many of these guys are on the list, but I hope they all are.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyPride » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:59 pm

On second thought, I am told Tatu doesn't have a degree, which I believe has been established as a mandatory criteria for the position.

Interesting thought, though - surely one I hadn't considered.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby redpony » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:12 pm

Has anyone considered G.Guerrieri- head soccer coach for the aTm women's team? G. is a Richardson 'boy' having attended Pierce H.S.. IIRC he played for the Dallas, Tx. Longhorns. I believe he started the aTm women's team and has been pretty successful over he years.
It's hard to believe that we haven't had premier level college coaches approaching us for this position. It has to be one of the top opportunities in college soccer.
It seems like there is no activity or interviewing of candidates. Hope this doesn't take as long as our search for our football coach.

GO PONIES!!!
redpony

Postby mrydel » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:29 pm

Is Tatu the guy that used to spot the plane for Mr. Roark?
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby giacfsp » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:30 pm

Hire Guerreri and I'll never attend another game. He is a great recruiter - in large part because he lies to his players (about playing time, and more) - and is reviled in coaching circles as an absolutely horrible coach. He would take the program back lightyears, and would do it quickly. He wins in Aggietown because he always has better athletes than the competition, but he is an embarrassingly bad game coach. Jeez, I'd rather see a club team coach get the job.
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby redpony » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:46 pm

OK- bad idea. I had no idea of his coaching abilities, just the fact that he seems to win a lot of games. :oops:

GO PONIES!!!
redpony

Postby WildHorse » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:42 pm

giacfsp wrote:Jeez, I'd rather see a club team coach get the job.
Uh, no. Clubs provide players to SMU, but that is the extent of what they can provide. Whoever gets the job absolutely has to have college experience — Div. I college experience — and a lot of it. I don't want my nephew's coach to take over, either, because he might have to go to prom on a game night.

College coaches only — head coaches. Nobody else is satisfactory.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Postby 91Stang » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:13 am

Hiring a club coach at a top-tier place like SMU would be like Notre Dame hiring Gerry Faust to coach its football team. We'd get laughed at everywhere.

Wait a minute ....
HOCKEY'S BACK!
91Stang
Varsity

Postby Vitale » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:59 am

HIRE COACH McCLEMENTS
Vitale
All-American

Postby ClassOf81 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:54 am

No coaches without college HEAD COACHING experience

Can you imagine Jim Calhoun moving to the NBA and UConn hiring an AAU coach?
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby GrapevineMustang » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:26 pm

Vitale wrote:HIRE COACH McCLEMENTS
He gets my vote (although I admit, I probably have never heard of the other candidates).
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby mustangbill67 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:29 pm

I have nothing against Coach McClements and believe he is a excellent assistant coach for our program. It sounds like he is well liked by many of the people on this board and by the players. However, I do not believe he is the right person for the head coaching position. He has been a head coach for 8 seasons at variious schools amassing a 66-83-9 record. While he had some up times as a head coach, his overall record regardless of how you spin it, is poor. From Schellas to McClements would be a definite step down. We can and must do better. Apparently there is high interest from some successful Div. I coaches for this job. Hopefully, we will get another "wow" hire out of Orsini.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:49 pm

I'm wondering if any of the ACC or BE coaches might want to come out west where they don't have to go head to head in recruiting the same players.

With Clemson, UVa, MD, VT, UNC, WF and Duke, you have some coaches with National Title and Number One ranking credentials.

Another name that came to mind was Steve Sampson former US Soccer Coach and did well at Santa Clara. Is he still coaching in the MLS?
EastStang

Postby Treadway21 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:03 pm

FYI - Waldrum was Shellas' first Assistant Coach.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby MustangStealth » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:18 am

mrydel wrote:Is Tatu the guy that used to spot the plane for Mr. Roark?

No, it's 2 chicks that make out to get publicity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatu
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Other Sports