PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Don Newbury, SMU Lacrosse figure head, passes away

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Don Newbury, SMU Lacrosse figure head, passes away

Postby MustangLaxer » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:58 am

From the collegelax.us LSA board:
It is with extreme regret and sorrow that I write to tell you that Don Newbury passed away in his sleep in the early hours Sunday. For those of you who don't know about his legend, Coach Newbury was the heart and soul of the SMU Lacrosse Program for over twenty-five years. Following a distinguished military career in World War II where he received the Purple Heart for taking shrapnel on the beaches of Normandy, he managed to continue playing the game he loved as a goalie until his sixties when he was recognized by Sports Illustrated and understandably forced to retire by his wife. Along with a few others, Don was instrumental in bringing the sport of lacrosse to Texas. When he finally linked up with an SMU Lacrosse team in its infancy, the two were never spoken of without the other for the remainder of his days. He was extremely well-known and loved in the lacrosse community around here and was recognized as the first inductee into the North Texas Lacrosse Hall of Fame a few years back.

Words cannot describe the passion this man had for our program, and one could not begin to count the number of lives he touched along the way. Even in some of our last visits, his first thought would be to ask about the team, the current players, and any alumni who I'd spoken with recently. Even though I feel like I lost a family member yesterday, I am more saddened that the young men who will continue to come through our program won't have the opportunity to visit with him.

The funeral service is tentatively set for Friday morning of this week, and I'll be sure to let you all know when I have more information. If possible, please take a moment to think about him and his family.

Best regards,

Tom Greene
Head Coach
MustangLaxer
Heisman

Postby Water Pony » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:52 pm

LAXer,

Appreciate you taking the time to post Coach Greene's eulogy. I knew Coach Newberry and his passion for lacrosse. As the godfather of SMU Lacrosse, he will be fondly remembered by fans of LAX and SMU.

I know two young alumni laxer, who are planning to fly into Dallas for his services. Despite LAX being a Club Sport, this is a testimony to their affection for Coach and the program, which has grown and thrived on the hilltop.

My best to the team and Coach's family, including all those who played for him.

Blessings
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Treadway21 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:55 pm

My post SMU recollection on Mr. Newbury was of meeting him on a par three hole at Woodbridge. He was selling chances at a hole in won prize for a charity which I can't remember, and we visited on 2 or 3 occasions. He was a wonderful person to chat with even if it was only for a few moments passing through. I'm sure those that knew him better will surely miss him. He was one of the nicest people I have ever met.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby MustangLaxer » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:57 pm

Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to seeing Rob and Chris.
MustangLaxer
Heisman

Don - a real history at SMU

Postby Boston Pony » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:13 pm

A similar story was shared with Lacrosse Magazine after it ran a feature on Don: "I first met Don Newbury as a sophomore at SMU. He was playing for the Dallas Lacrosse club as an over 50 year old goalie. A first year program, SMU was playing against Dallas. I made a move that opened me up right in front of the goal, took a shot and Don knocked the ball out of the way". He acted much younger than his age. Over the years, Don moved from the from the crease to the sidelines to take over the fledgling program for over 25+ years." He never had a bad thing to say about anyone and no one ever said a bad thing about Don...Not a bad way to be remembered.
Boston Pony
Varsity

Postby Water Pony » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:00 am

Wonderful tribute in Friday's Dallas Morning News for Don Newbury, a decorated D-Day vet, who brough lacrosse to generations of SMU LAX players. Excellent read of a member of the Greatest Generation.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... eb5d3.html
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby SMUfiji43 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:28 pm

As a former lacrosse player, I can't express how sad I am to lose a man like Don Newbury. There are very few people I know his age who have the same fire and passion for life that he does. I remember being at practice and having Newbury sitting in his chair and barking encouragement from the sidelines the whole time. He was also a Fiji and was one of the oldest living brothers in the country before he died. I am very lucky to have known Don and he will always be a role model for me.
"I love coaching here at SMU University" -June Jones
SMUfiji43
All-American

Postby Water Pony » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:32 pm

SMUfiji43 wrote:As a former lacrosse player, I can't express how sad I am to lose a man like Don Newbury. There are very few people I know his age who have the same fire and passion for life that he does. I remember being at practice and having Newbury sitting in his chair and barking encouragement from the sidelines the whole time. He was also a Fiji and was one of the oldest living brothers in the country before he died. I am very lucky to have known Don and he will always be a role model for me.

Go Delta Tau! SMU Fiji and LAX. Not a bad combination.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby SMUfiji43 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:02 am

Water Pony wrote:
SMUfiji43 wrote:As a former lacrosse player, I can't express how sad I am to lose a man like Don Newbury. There are very few people I know his age who have the same fire and passion for life that he does. I remember being at practice and having Newbury sitting in his chair and barking encouragement from the sidelines the whole time. He was also a Fiji and was one of the oldest living brothers in the country before he died. I am very lucky to have known Don and he will always be a role model for me.

Go Delta Tau! SMU Fiji and LAX. Not a bad combination.

Great combination haha. Are you a former Delta Tau brother yourself?
"I love coaching here at SMU University" -June Jones
SMUfiji43
All-American

Postby Water Pony » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:17 pm

Yes, the Class of '68

And my son played LAX at SMU, Class of '05, but he was an SAE (oh the shame of it all)

:oops:
Pony Up
Water Pony

Return to Other Sports