PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bruno Guarda traded to FC Dallas

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Bruno Guarda traded to FC Dallas

Postby PonyPride » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:47 pm

FC Dallas acquires former SMU player Bruno Guarda

02:43 PM CDT on Monday, July 28, 2008
From Staff Reports

FC Dallas on Monday acquired former SMU midfielder Bruno Guarda from the Colorado Rapids in exchange for the team's natural second- and third-round selections in the 2009 draft and a partial allocation.

"We're very excited to have Bruno Guardo at FC Dallas," said FC head coach Schellas Hyndman, who coached Guarda at SMU. "What he'll bring to the team is that he has a great work ethic. Attacking, he was one of the better players in the country at the collegiate level, and he really surprises you because he works so hard defensively to gain the ball back."

The Rapids won a special lottery to obtain the rights to Guarda on July 22. Special lotteries are conducted by the league among interested teams for players who are not eligible to be discovered and who were not drafted. Twelve of the 14 teams participated in last week's lottery for Guarda's rights.

"I'm very excited to stay in Dallas," said Guarda. "My first priority is FC Dallas, and my second priority is to finish my degree here at SMU, which I have two semesters left. But becoming a professional was something that I've been dreaming about since I was a little kid, and hopefully one day I can make everyone proud at FC Dallas."

The Brazilian-born Guarda scored 15 goals and added 18 assists playing in his three years for Hyndman at SMU. Hyndman left SMU in June to become FC Dallas' head coach.

The 22-year old Guarda from Brazil to the D-FW area in 2002 to play for the Dallas Texans in the Dallas Cup. Upon receipt of his student visa, he attended Oakridge High School in Arlington for his junior and senior years. He was a member of the Texans team that won the 2003 Dallas Cup championship. In 2005, he was a guest player for the IMG Academy, teaming up with current FC Dallas midfielder Eric Avila to win the Dallas Cup U-19 division.

Guarda will occupy a spot on the team's developmental roster.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangbill67 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:42 pm

This was expected. FC Dallas taking on a SMU flavor with Schellas, Guarda and Chase Wileman. Chase played the last 15 minutes of the game yesterday against LA. Hopefully, we will see both Bruno and Chase on the field a lot.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MustangStealth » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:08 pm

Plus Kenny Cooper, a Schellas recruit who decided to go pro early.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU 86 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:01 pm

Nice move for FC Dallas.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyTales » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:16 pm

Whether it's a nice move for FCD can't really be judged until we see who the Rapids take with those picks, but it certainly is good for Guarda, if he meant what he said about finishing his degree at SMU. Here's hoping he does.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby HB Pony Dad » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:23 pm

mustangbill67 wrote:Chase played the last 15 minutes of the game yesterday against LA.

That was not a game it was a massacre.

Painful from my end to watch, but Schellas has FC Dallas believing and Bruno Guarda will get some playing time.

SMU connection makes it hard to root against the Hoops.
SMU - IT'S YOUR TURN

FIRE JUNE JONES

USC Trojan for Life and SMU Dad!
HB Pony Dad
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ClassOf81 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:29 pm

Wonder how long until Bruno is in the starting lineup?
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby MustangLaxer » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:32 pm

Kenny Cooper will be heading overseas next year according to rumors...
MustangLaxer
Heisman

Postby mustangbill67 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:25 pm

MustangLaxer wrote:Kenny Cooper will be heading overseas next year according to rumors...

Looks like negotiations are on-going with several teams but the Hunts are hanging tough hoping to keep Kenny at least through this season. He will be gone at some point, the only question is when. He scored two great long range goals yesterday (one with each foot) but his final strike was his best although it hit the post. I hope his brother Joe has some of the fire power that his brother has.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangbill67 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:09 pm

Cooper update from English news sky sports

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 55,00.html
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby HB Pony Dad » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:18 pm

mustangbill67 wrote:Cooper update from English news sky sports

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 55,00.html

I'm sure the Galaxy will be heartbroken. :D
SMU - IT'S YOUR TURN

FIRE JUNE JONES

USC Trojan for Life and SMU Dad!
HB Pony Dad
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby jkflamebo » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:01 am

ClassOf81 wrote:Wonder how long until Bruno is in the starting lineup?

in my opinion, would not surprise me to see him playing full time next year. he is sick. he's gonna get a lot of hype once he starts playing. prediction - bruno will be playing overseas in 3 years
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

Postby Paladin » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:53 am

I'd take FC Dallas more seriously and become more of a fan if they would just change their prison-stripes uniform for something a little more traditional. They look like props from a Three Stooges episode.
Paladin
All-American

Postby pony friend » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:44 pm

Paladin wrote:I'd take FC Dallas more seriously and become more of a fan if they would just change their prison-stripes uniform for something a little more traditional. They look like props from a Three Stooges episode.

I'm with you on that one!

Not something that many fans want to buy a replica of. Especially those of us with a little extra around the middle! :lol:
pony friend

Postby MustangStealth » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:38 pm

Paladin wrote:I'd take FC Dallas more seriously and become more of a fan if they would just change their prison-stripes uniform for something a little more traditional. They look like props from a Three Stooges episode.

The uniforms look great, especially the blue ones.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Other Sports