PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

One step forward, two steps back.

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

One step forward, two steps back.

Postby redpony » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:01 pm

SO’s grades for hiring coaches is : Football- A: even though JJ has yet to coach his first game he has been successful in creating a level of excitement and optimism not seen on campus for many years. Basketball- C: although coach Doh has not turned this team into a winner he has shown an ability to start moving it in the right direction. Soccer- D-: I am sure that I am not the only person unhappy with the soccer coach decision. We have taken a proven, successful program and turned it over to a coach who lacks D-1 head coaching experience and has never won a national championship as a head coach. I can’t believe that there were no coaches with proven winning D-1 records and championship experience available. Sadly, I think that SO was concentrating more on trying to secure the AD position at ND than obtain a top quality, proven, national championship caliber soccer coach for us. ‘Comfort zone’ choices don’t win national championships.
If the SMU soccer team doesn’t get to at least the quarter-finals this year and finals the next year I hope SO will revisit his decision and secure a coach worthy of the program.

GO PONIES !!!
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby CalallenStang » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:12 pm

redpony - McClements was the head coach at Vanderbilt. Also, please give me the amount of NCAA championships Hyndman won.

While our team should be in the tournament and make deep runs year in and year out, I think that it's ridiculous to ever place an expectation of making it to the finals in ANY year.
CalallenStang

Postby PonyPride » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:21 pm

McClements also was head coach at Eastern Illinois.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby redpony » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:33 pm

I don't believe that I implied he had never been a head coach. BTW- what was his W-L record for his head coaching??? Since he was not head coach at SMU I hardly believe it is appropriate to give him credit for their success (or lack thereof) in national championship venues.
Would you have been happy to hire a football coach whose W-L record was barely over 50%? :roll:

GO PONIES!!!
redpony

Postby mustangbill67 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:39 pm

Although McClements was definitely the favorite of the players and the new recruits, is a great recruiter and apparently had Schellas's blessing, the fact remains his overall performance as a Div. I head coach is lackluster. Maybe a great assistant, but he has struggled at times as a head coach. From what I have read, his selection has received a very lukewarm reception nationally. I just wish a greater effort had been made to attract a coach with outstanding Div. I credentials. I assume that money was a big factor in going with the existing assistant coach. However, that being said, at this point the selection is water under the bridge and we need to move forward with the McClements' era in SMU soccer. I truly hope he succeeds big time. We shall see. He will be under a tremendous amount of pressure to at least match the success Schellas had at SMU and do it now. I for one will fully support him.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CalallenStang » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:43 pm

redpony wrote:I don't believe that I implied he had never been a head coach. BTW- what was his W-L record for his head coaching??? Since he was not head coach at SMU I hardly believe it is appropriate to give him credit for their success (or lack thereof) in national championship venues.
Would you have been happy to hire a football coach whose W-L record was barely over 50%? :roll:

GO PONIES!!!

When he took over Vandy, their program was a JOKE and they played in a conference (Missouri Valley) that, at the time, was tough as nails...yet he still managed to guide them to respectability. Think Jim Grobe at Wake Forest in football.
CalallenStang

Postby mustangbill67 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:48 pm

CalallenStang wrote:
redpony wrote:I don't believe that I implied he had never been a head coach. BTW- what was his W-L record for his head coaching??? Since he was not head coach at SMU I hardly believe it is appropriate to give him credit for their success (or lack thereof) in national championship venues.

GO PONIES!!!

When he took over Vandy, their program was a JOKE and they played in a conference (Missouri Valley) that, at the time, was tough as nails...yet he still managed to guide them to respectability. Think Jim Grobe at Wake Forest in football.

McClement was a head coach for 8 seasons at variious schools amassing a 66-83-9 record. No matter how you spin it, this is not the record of a highly successful Div. I head coach. But as I said, he is now the coach and it is up to him to keep this program at the highest level. I truly hope he succeeds.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:01 pm

CalallenStang wrote:
While our team should be in the tournament and make deep runs year in and year out, I think that it's ridiculous to ever place an expectation of making it to the finals in ANY year.

With all due respect I disagree. If you can't take a team with outstanding potential and a winning tradition and take it to a higher level you need to go elsewhere. Our expectations were that we would have a PROVEN D-1 coach with championship experience. I feel SO turned his back on this program. You can't have the best if you don't want to pay the price. Obviously, SO doesn't feel or believe that SMU soccer is important to the university. :evil:

GO PONIES!!!!
redpony

Postby CalallenStang » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:10 pm

redpony wrote:
CalallenStang wrote:

With all due respect I disagree. If you can't take a team with outstanding potential and a winning tradition and take it to a higher level you need to go elsewhere. Our expectations were that we would have a PROVEN D-1 coach with championship experience. I feel SO turned his back on this program. You can't have the best if you don't want to pay the price. Obviously, SO doesn't feel or believe that SMU soccer is important to the university. :evil:

GO PONIES!!!!

I bolded the one issue I have with McClements. I think that he can maintain the status quo, but I don't know if he can take our program to a higher level.

That being said, I don't think our program will be taking a step back.

And I don't expect anyone to guide us to the finals...that's asking too much. Duke basketball doesn't fire Coach K when he doesn't take his team to the finals...they reward him for his consistent success and occasional deep runs.
CalallenStang

Postby redpony » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:29 pm

CalallenStang wrote:
I bolded the one issue I have with McClements. I think that he can maintain the status quo, but I don't know if he can take our program to a higher level.

And I don't expect anyone to guide us to the finals...that's asking too much. Duke basketball doesn't fire Coach K when he doesn't take his team to the finals...they reward him for his consistent success and occasional deep runs.

IIRC Coach K has won multiple national championships. He is not only a proven winner but an outstanding person as well. If McClements can't take our program to a higher level then we should have selected someone who could move us forward. McClements overall coaching record hardly compares with that of Coach K. (yes, I know we are mixing apples and oranges when comparing W-L records but look at the %'s).

GO PONIES!!!
redpony

Postby CalallenStang » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:43 pm

redpony wrote:
CalallenStang wrote:

IIRC Coach K has won multiple national championships. He is not only a proven winner but an outstanding person as well. If McClements can't take our program to a higher level then we should have selected someone who could move us forward. McClements overall coaching record hardly compares with that of Coach K. (yes, I know we are mixing apples and oranges when comparing W-L records but look at the %'s).

GO PONIES!!!

Yes, Coach K has won multiple national championships, but he didn't exactly light up the world before he got to Duke...he was 73-59 at Army and led them to one NIT.

My point is this: No program should expect their coach to take the team to the finals. You should expect consistent excellence. Sometimes the ball does not bounce your way.
CalallenStang

Postby Oldkeeper » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:26 am

Redpony- by your reckoning SO failed for not firing Schellas earlier since he did not win a national championship. He was a stagnant coach. Coaches don't win games, the players do. If the players like and respect the coach expect good things to happen. McClements is a good coach with an established connection with the players. Better, in my opinion, than bringing in someone new who has to establish himself with the players.
I know my rights, man.
Oldkeeper
Scout Team

Postby DallasDiehard » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:55 am

redpony wrote:I don't believe that I implied he had never been a head coach.
Actually, you said the following, which can not be interpreted any other way.

redpony wrote:and turned it over to a coach who lacks D-1 head coaching experience ...
His first job was at Baker University, where he won two-thirds of his games. He also had stints at Eastern Illinois and Vanderbilt, where he had perhaps his best performance despite the record. I don't claim to know your familiarity with the program he inherited at Vandy, but it was awful. There are fraternities that could have beaten that team, and he had to strip down the team in order to re-build it. He re-shaped the team in his own style and made it successful in a very competitive league and earned a Coach of the Year award - beating out our own Schellas Hyndman, among others. In addition, he is largely responsible for the majority of the players in this year's incoming freshman class, which many have labeled as one of the top classes in the nation. He has strong relationships with the club coaches around North Texas, coaches who oversee a limitless haul of talented players and will continue sending them to SMU.
Give Coach McClements a chance. The team he has inherited at SMU is a completely different animal from what he took over at his other jobs, and he'll do a great job. Steve-O hit a home run with this hire.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:37 pm

Six Weeks before the season starts, it hard to hire anyone of note that late. McClements may end up a great coach, or he may be a place holder. Also I'm sure the Guarda rumors were circulating as well and name coaches, don't want to walk into a successful program and follow a legend. The expectations are just too high. And given the loss of your star player, it could be a tough year for a new coach.
EastStang

Postby Pony Up » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:05 pm

No it won't be tough. Will we win it all? Who knows. But there is a ton of talent coming back, and some of the freshmen are supposed to be amazing. We'll be just fine, and we'll remain among the nation's elite, even without Guarda. (Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have him back, of course.)
Proud to be a PonyFan
Pony Up
All-American

Next

Return to Other Sports