PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

CUSA Athletes in Beijing, SMU prominent

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

CUSA Athletes in Beijing, SMU prominent

Postby Water Pony » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:18 pm

SMU leads the list, including Steve Collins, SMU Women's Swim Coach.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/x ... in-Beijing
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: CUSA Athletes in Beijing, SMU prominent

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:25 am

Water Pony wrote:SMU leads the list, including Steve Collins, SMU Women's Swim Coach.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/x ... in-Beijing
How sad that you have to read about SMU athletes being prominent at the Olympics in the Huntington, West Virginia newspaper instead of the Dallas Morning News! Pathetic. :roll:
MrMustang1965

Postby Casey » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:52 pm

That's true, although SMU has had its story about Mustangs in Beijing up since the end of July. You can read it at this link (and there's a link in the story to a list of all Mustangs competing in Beijing):

http://smumustangs.cstv.com/genrel/073008aad.html
Once a Mustang, ALWAYS a Mustang!
Casey
All-American

Postby beamout2000 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:05 pm

Glad to see you guys are well represented. Texas State has 6 athletes in the games representing several countries including the USA, Jamaica and Russia and our top athletic trainer is also assisting the team. Don't feel alone, that isn't in our Austin peper either. From their perspective the entire team is made up of Longhorns.
beamout2000
Junior Varsity

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:16 pm

beamout2000 wrote:Glad to see you guys are well represented. Texas State has 6 athletes in the games representing several countries including the USA, Jamaica and Russia and our top athletic trainer is also assisting the team. Don't feel alone, that isn't in our Austin peper either. From their perspective the entire team is made up of Longhorns.
When did the Bevo Corp. buy the Austin American-Statesman?
MrMustang1965

Postby beamout2000 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:51 pm

MrMustang1965 wrote:
beamout2000 wrote:Glad to see you guys are well represented. Texas State has 6 athletes in the games representing several countries including the USA, Jamaica and Russia and our top athletic trainer is also assisting the team. Don't feel alone, that isn't in our Austin peper either. From their perspective the entire team is made up of Longhorns.
When did the Bevo Corp. buy the Austin American-Statesman?

Just look at the top of the website when you log in, one thing it boasts is the latest Longhorn news. Then you read it and you realize that is true, everything Longhorn, not much for anyone else, including SMU or Texas State, the Aggies might get a mention every now and then. It frustrates my Mom who has trouble finding news about her alma-mater (SMU). I end up printing everything I can find for her off of various websites to try to keep her up to date.
Just saying we down here can relate to you having to go to an out of state paper. The only write-up on our football team this year has come from the Houston Chronicle (in a major daily newspaper, the San Marcos paper does a good job covering the program as well as the athletes we have in the Olympics but it isn't a "major" daily.)
beamout2000
Junior Varsity

Postby MustangLaxer » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:01 am

If I were a Dallas Paper I wouldn't be covering Tarleton State...if I were an Austin Paper, I wouldn't be covering Texas State...Aggie, Longhorn, Red Raider, Horned Frog, Mustang, Bear, Cougar, Owl, Miner, and even Mean Green Eagle deserve more attention.
MustangLaxer
Heisman

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:07 pm

MustangLaxer wrote:If I were a Dallas Paper I wouldn't be covering Tarleton State...if I were an Austin Paper, I wouldn't be covering Texas State...Aggie, Longhorn, Red Raider, Horned Frog, Mustang, Bear, Cougar, Owl, Miner, and even Mean Green Eagle deserve more attention.
Tarleton State is not in the DMN's ADI way out there in Stephenville. Texas State is within the Austin American Statesman's ADI in San Marcos.
MrMustang1965

Postby NickSMU17 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:29 pm

Don't forget that USA women's gymnast Nastia Liukin is going to be a frosh in the fall...
NickSMU17

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:46 pm

NickSMU17 wrote:Don't forget that USA women's gymnast Nastia Liukin is going to be a frosh in the fall...

from www.wikipedia.org

She graduated from high school in the spring of 2007 and enrolled as a freshman international business major at Southern Methodist University in January 2008, but took a leave from classes to concentrate on preparations for the 2008 Olympic Games.
MrMustang1965

Postby EastStang » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:51 pm

She got a medal last night. Unfortunately not gold, but silver. If I had a silver medal, I'd wear it for a year.
EastStang

Return to Other Sports