PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sad to see

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Sad to see

Postby Water Pony » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:25 pm

Looking at the photo on the Ponyfans Home Page of SMU American Olympian and Discus Thrower, Michael Robertson, reminds me of the loss of our Men's Track & Field team.

Sad day then and now, especially duriing Olympic years.

:cry:
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SmooBoy » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:34 pm

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
SmooBoy

Postby expony18 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:11 pm

how do you feel about gymnastics?
expony18

Postby EastStang » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:08 am

If adding gymnastics would help with our Title IX troubles so that we could add men's track & field that would be great. Perhaps Nastia could be a face that could raise money for women's gymnastics at SMU (since she can't compete due to endorsement monies from Wheaties, VISA, etc.), which could be done first, and then add the sport. If the sport was self-sustaining due to endowment (no pun intended), then perhaps it would allow the restoration of men's track and field. This would help us in football recruiting (especially at wide receiver).
EastStang

Postby mrydel » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:13 am

Sorry to change the subject, but speaking of a Wheaties box, did you see that Phelps signed a contract to be on Frosted Flakes? The food police are having a fit saying he should be promoting better food for children. They made no mention that Phelps consumes about 12,000 calories a day and works his tail off to stay in condition, just that he might be promoting something with sugar in it.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby SmooBoy » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:30 pm

Lucky Charms and Fruity Pebbles are still the best.
SmooBoy

Postby EastStang » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:31 pm

Nice hijacking. Endorsement $$$$ are flowing from this Olympics. I suspect even people who didn't medal like Lolo Jones will be able to cash in. By the way, there is another Mustang at the Olympics in the broadcast booth. I heard Cyndi Potter doing women's diving commentary last night.
EastStang

Postby SmooBoy » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:08 pm

EastStang wrote:Nice hijacking.
No problemo.
SmooBoy

Postby Lefty » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:20 pm

At least he still travels to Dallas to train with Coach Wollman (I think).
Lefty
All-American

Postby mustangbill67 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:51 pm

mrydel wrote:Sorry to change the subject, but speaking of a Wheaties box, did you see that Phelps signed a contract to be on Frosted Flakes? The food police are having a fit saying he should be promoting better food for children. They made no mention that Phelps consumes about 12,000 calories a day and works his tail off to stay in condition, just that he might be promoting something with sugar in it.

There was some health doctor on TV other day expressing amazement that Phelp's lives on 12,000 calories per day of primarily non-healthful food. While he needs this amount of fuel to maintain his extreme workout schedule, she was concerned about the long term effects on his heart and his weight. She opined that he could consume this number of calories without consuming so much junk food. Hope that ten years from now, he does not weigh 350. On the other hand, Bolt who won both the 100 and 200 in WR times, lives on Chicken McNuggets. Oh to be young again.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangbill67 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:54 pm

EastStang wrote:If adding gymnastics would help with our Title IX troubles so that we could add men's track & field that would be great. Perhaps Nastia could be a face that could raise money for women's gymnastics at SMU (since she can't compete due to endorsement monies from Wheaties, VISA, etc.), which could be done first, and then add the sport. If the sport was self-sustaining due to endowment (no pun intended), then perhaps it would allow the restoration of men's track and field. This would help us in football recruiting (especially at wide receiver).

well I guess she will not be a SMU this fall as she is beginnning a three month tour Sunday. She also has World's next summer so I wonder if she will show at all 2008-2009.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby davidsmu94 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:53 am

Mens track is still giving SMU the most Olympic exposure
davidsmu94
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:39 am

Umm, our only medal was in swimming. We've won more medals in swimming than in any other sports.
EastStang

Postby RednBlue11 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:57 pm

Lefty wrote:At least he still travels to Dallas to train with Coach Wollman (I think).

he's was at UM almost entirely before these olympics
"There ain't nothing you can't solve with one more beer"
RednBlue11
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Other Sports