PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

What do we expect out of the volleyball team this year?

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

What do we expect out of the volleyball team this year?

Postby George S. Patton » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:49 am

Anyone know if they are a CUSA contender, middle of the pack or rebuilding? Will Lisa Siefert finally put a group together? Is this her last shot?

I care enough to ask.
George S. Patton

Postby Lefty » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:23 pm

No you don't. You're just setting up to call for her job again.
How many matches did you attend last year?
How many will you attend this year?

For the record, I went to three matches when I was in town last year. From what I remember, they have some talent coming back. Natalie Peters and Caitlin Adair are bona fide studs, and Kendra Kehanek is pretty good.

Losing Rachel Giubilato is going to be hard to replace, though. She was awfully impressive before she got hurt last year (and now has graduated, I think).
Lefty
All-American

Postby George S. Patton » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:15 pm

Lefty wrote:No you don't. You're just setting up to call for her job again.
How many matches did you attend last year?
How many will you attend this year?

For the record, I went to three matches when I was in town last year. From what I remember, they have some talent coming back. Natalie Peters and Caitlin Adair are bona fide studs, and Kendra Kehanek is pretty good.

Losing Rachel Giubilato is going to be hard to replace, though. She was awfully impressive before she got hurt last year (and now has graduated, I think).

Look, I want them to win and get into the postseason. I even talked with Lisa about 4-5 years ago and found her to be very nice.

That said, if this team doesn't do anything again this year under her -- no conference titles, no post-season tournament appearances in her tenure -- should she stay? Just think about that.

She now has a practice gym to use and sell.

If you're willing to accept mediocre season after mediocre season, then great. That's what we're going to continue to get. Orsini has made it clear he wants Top 25 in everything SMU does. Does volleyball get a pass?

I don't know if you have kids but the fall is pretty tough for me to get over to Moody. That's wonderful you could fly in and make it. But do not attempt to quantify my following of this program by the number of games that I attend. That's BS.

How many people who navigate this board even care that we have a program?

The last time we had a thread on this sport, it took about 6 weeks to get 15 responses.
George S. Patton

Postby redpony » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:05 am

I hope they do well. I have two grand-daughters that play. One is on scholarship as a sophomore. The other one is 14 and already being recruited by big name schools. I would love for her to attend SMU but do not think she will go to a school that is not in the top 25.

GO PONIES!!!
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Lefty » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:08 am

Yes, I have kids - one of whom plays volleyball, which sparked my interest - AND I LIVE IN HOUSTON ... and made three matches. In the last four years, the fewest matches I have attended was two, and that's when my mother was ill. My family and I come up for just about every home football game, and we make several games a year for both basketball teams, both soccer teams and now volleyball. It's clear my kids have adopted my SMU fandom.

Can't say what the reaction should be to her record, as we don't know the circumstances that will lead to that record. If she has another injury like she did last year when Giubilato got hurt, hell yes she gets a free pass.

A definite reaction can't be demanded until the season plays out. My reaction to your initial post simply stemmed from the fact that last year you sounded like you were on a witch hunt, just to sound controversial or something, or to try to stir up an argument. Since you rarely go - by your own admission - to matches, it struck me as an unfounded attack on Coach Seifert.
Lefty
All-American

Postby that_evil_lady » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:17 am

I'm not 100% sure I share your sentiment about Caitlin Adair. I think you might be talking about Kathryn Wilkerson, who was an All-Freshman team pick last year. She is ridiculous. She had more swings than Caitlin Rainbird (a senior) last year and tried her freshman best to carry that team last season. I think she's going to out-pace Giubilato in the next two years.

Seifert also recruited some very talented girls this season... they've got a new assistant coach. Things could be looking up for them.

If they can stay injury-free, those girls could very well have a winning record (by which I mean more than one game over .500). I don't think they're ready to overtake Marshall or Tulane yet, but I know I'll be rooting for them and Seifert.[code][/code]
that_evil_lady
Recruit

Postby George S. Patton » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:29 am

Here's the Seifert profile:

http://smumustangs.cstv.com/sports/w-vo ... isa00.html

In her defense, I thought the 2003 team got the shaft from the NCAA tournament selection committee. But it is what it is. Look at the body of work. It's not impressive.

I hope they can get something done. But as an alum and fan (game attendance notwithstanding), I have a right to ask that question. I'm not only wanting success in Football and basketball, I want it everywhere.

BTW lefty, it sounds like your kids are older than mine. And my Fridays in the fall are always never an option. I have commitments.
George S. Patton

Womens volleyball 2008

Postby buckwheat » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:55 pm

They have been mediocre to bad for too long. Time to start winning or make a change. Obviously what has been done in the past from a recruiting and coaching perspective has not produced the results it should.
Good luck to them this year, time to step it up!
buckwheat
Junior Varsity

Postby pony12 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:06 am

I don't even know where to start with you all here.
Honestly, Im sick reading all of this.
Its too bad none of you understand the amount of passion, time, heartache that goes into each point that the SMU Volleyball team plays. Can you all PLEASE get a grip?!! These girls are awesome division I athletes that give up their lives for 4 years to compete with SMU on their jerseys. They are out there playing for you...their fans, peers, classmates, professors. Trying to make you proud to wear SMU on your shirt to class.
Being a college athlete is an experience that cannot be understood unless you have been through it (and I don't mean lived vicariously through your children...) So lay off because what they do you don't have the ability to imagine.
I agree that the team should be held to a high standard but leave that to Coach Seifert. Believe me, she holds herself to the highest standard of all. If any of you knew her personally she is an amazing woman, coach, and role model. WE ARE LUCKY TO HAVE HER AT SMU!!!! Horror stories about college coaches and experiences with them are extremely common...but I guarantee you not a girl on Coach Seiferts team has a bad word to say about her. She cares for each girl like she is her daughter and puts the team before herself in so many ways you would never imagine.
One last thing...an individual player's stats is the result of a team effort. Not a single kill I hit did I dig the ball, set myself, and hit a kill. For each stat in my career I thank my team. So if you say my career is impressive, it is only a direct result of how good my team was...and we were really freaking good!!! Give credit where credit was due, you may look over many players (Caitlin Rainbird as you said above) but you're ignorant. Without Caitlin, Katherine last season would not have been as good as she was. Caitlin taught her how to play division I ball. Every freshman needs a good role model to teach them how the game is played at a higher level.
The untrue, unkind words in this blog are sad. You all have bought into the easy way out. It's real easy to sit on your couch and criticize but I seriously invite you all to wake up and show a little respect. The SMU Volleyball team is a great bunch of serious athletes (with great spandex btw HA.) Please everyone come to more than one game a season...you will see what it takes to be as good as they are. If you need a lesson on volleyball, come find me. Ill be in the stands cheering too!!

PONY UP!!!!!!!!!!
Rachel Giubilato
pony12

Return to Other Sports