PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Coach Collins blog from Beijing

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Coach Collins blog from Beijing

Postby Water Pony » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:28 pm

Great summary from SMU Head Swim Coach, who is at the Olympics:
8/18/08

Dear Mustangs

I have spent the last couple of days visiting different venues and see the Mustangs and some great events. Last night I went to track (Athletics) to see Libor place 8th in the final of the Hammer Throw. It is was great to see him compete and to see 60,000 plus at heats and finals for Track. I will go tomorrow to to Aleksander compete in the discus final.

Today I was cheering Laura Bennett in the Women's Triathlon. The venue was beautiful at a reservoir near Ming's Tomb. Laura had an amazing race - coming out of the water 1st in the swim - having a great bike - and coming out of the 2nd transition in 8th - going into run. Laura quickly moved up to 3rd and at one point moved into second. As the race progressed she moved back to 5th but had a strong kick on the end of the run and moved by the Japanese athlete to finish 4th. This was a great finish and it was so exciting to see her compete so well in her first Olympic Games.

Tomorrow I will be vesting the Great Wall with Petra Kosovo and then in the evening to watch Alexander in the finals.

This has been a great Olympic Games. All of the venues have been impressive and the volunteers do a great job. I have been able to see The Water Polo venue and see the US beat Croatia. I watched France and Spain in Team Hand Ball. The Rowing- Flatwater Kayak is very impressive. This site will also be used for the Open Water Swimming on Aug. 20th. China has put on a impressive Olympics and has set the bar very high for Olympic Games to come.

I will be leaving on Aug. 20th and return to Dallas on the Aug. 21st. I am looking forward to getting home but am living the Olympic Dream while I am here.

Go Mustangs

Steve Collins
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Other Sports