PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Women's soccer loses opener

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Women's soccer loses opener

Postby HorsePower » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:36 pm

SMU lost to Okie State last night, 3-0. But as depressing as the score was, I was actually pretty encouraged. SMUMustangs.com had a story a few weeks ago about all the freshmen Coach Erwin signed, and some of them looked pretty good.

The ones who stood out to me:
Dylan Jordan - we came out in what looked like a one-forward formation, and she was playing up front. Lot of hustle, lot of technical skill. She got multiple coverage pretty quickly, but she looks like a player.

Logan May - played forward, or maybe an attacking midfielder spot, mostly in the second half. She's tall (6 feet)? and seemed more bent on attacking than some other players. Had a really nice shot late in the game (low, hard shot). She'll score some for us.

Devon Herman - I think that's her name. Not very big, but came in during the second half and seemed to energize the troops a little - tons of hustle. I'm no coach, but I'd play that kid more.

Kaitlyn Edson - another tall one (maybe he recruited for intramural basketball?) who played in the midfield. Looked tough, like she has a lot of grit.

Couple other freshmen played, but I don't remember a lot about them.

Ashley Gunter did a pretty nice job in goal, all things considered, but she was getting bombarded in the first half and did well to keep it close.
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby PonyPride » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:51 pm

True - rough way to start the year, but you're right with your assessment. Talked to Coach after the game, and he mentioned Dylan Jordan and Devon Herrman (yes, two R's) as players who "changed the game." Ponies ran into a buzzsaw in the first half, getting outshot 11-1 before the break, but came back to outshoot OSU in the second half. We have the youngest football team in America, and I feel safe saying the youngest women's soccer team (and maybe men's soccer team), too, so there's a learning curve, but there are some really athletic players in this year's class.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby FragileBill » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:25 am

Okla St. returned their three top scorers from last year. Ponies played strong, particularly in second half, against a veteran team.
FragileBill

Postby mrydel » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:33 am

Is there a sport at SMU in which we are not "one of the youngest in the nation"?
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby SmooBoy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:37 pm

mrydel wrote:Is there a sport at SMU in which we are not "one of the youngest in the nation"?

In football - Monday morning quarterbacking, along with b1tching and moaning. We are truly experienced in these areas.
SmooBoy

Postby fejerdk » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:20 am

Here are photos that I took of the SMU-Oklahoma State game.

http://www.douglasfejer.com/2008/SMU/So ... index.html

I am planning on attending the game on Friday against Miss.
fejerdk

Postby Oldkeeper » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:20 am

Thanks for the pix. Absolutely none from last year from the university...they seemed to forget.
I know my rights, man.
Oldkeeper
Scout Team

Return to Other Sports