PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Women's soccer shuts out Cal State-Fullerton

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Women's soccer shuts out Cal State-Fullerton

Postby PonyPride » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:12 am

SMU Women's Soccer Shuts Out Cal State-Fullerton, 1-0
Logan May's first collegiate goal is a game-winner

FULLERTON, CALIF. (SMU) - Freshman forward Logan May scored her first collegiate goal Friday night, and she made it count, as the goal lifted the SMU women's soccer team to a 1-0 win at Cal State-Fullerton.

The Mustangs improved to 2-4-1 on the season with the victory over CSF, which had been ranked in the top 25 earlier this season, and received votes for this week's National Soccer Coaches Association of America poll.

The teams battled to a scoreless halftime intermission, thanks in part to senior goalkeeper Ashley Gunter, who made five saves in the first half.

May then put the Ponies ahead to stay in the 57th minute, when she punched in a crossing pass from fellow freshman Kaitlyn Eidson.

The SMU defense weathered the strong CSF offensive storm, getting outshot, 16-3, to hang on for the victory.

The Mustangs now face defending national champion USC Sunday afternoon, before returning home to host Colorado College in the Conference USA opener for each team. For a complete schedule and ticket information, log on to SMUMustangs.com or call 214-SMU-GAME.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby indianmustang » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:09 am

good job stangs
indianmustang

Postby giacfsp » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:57 pm

That's a fantastic win for the Ponies. CSF is a very good team, and they were ranked a week or two ago. We've got what ... 16 freshmen? 17 freshmen? We're going to take our lumps this year (like maybe tomorrow against USC), but this is the kind of win that really can jump-start a team's confidence. Congratulations to Coach Irwin and his staff and especially all the players.
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby August » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:14 pm

While the team is young, that 17 freshman number is overstated. Erwin normally starts between 3 and 5 freshman and might play 7 per game total and never all at the same time. But in addition, there are 4 senior starters, 2 junior starters, and at least a couple sophomores.
August
Junior Varsity

Postby FragileBill » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:38 pm

This win was a nice surprise... unexpected against a team like Cal. St. - Fullerton. Another tough game tomorrow against #4 USC. This is a gutsy non-conference schedule. Would have been easy to flaunt a 7-1 record by playing weak opponents. Hopefully the team has learned something by playing against the nation's best. A win against Colorado College in their conference opener next Friday would be big!
FragileBill

Postby PonyPride » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:16 pm

August wrote:While the team is young, that 17 freshman number is overstated. Erwin normally starts between 3 and 5 freshman and might play 7 per game total and never all at the same time. But in addition, there are 4 senior starters, 2 junior starters, and at least a couple sophomores.
How is it overstated? Coach Erwin has 17 freshmen. You're right that they don't all start, and don't all play, but several -- Dylan Jordan, Logan May, Kaitlyn Eidson, Devon Herrman, Mary Connally, Katherine Cox, Sarah Catherine Ryan, etc. -- have played significant roles, including many in starting positions.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby August » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:04 pm

My point - athough obviously poorly made- was that having 17 freshmen on the team should not be used as an excuse for the poor record when only 3 or 4 play at one time AND there are plenty of experienced starters on the field. I do not think it is the fault of the freshmen who see playing time but clearly things haven't gone well when we lose to the likes of Ball State by 2.

Good win last night and although tomorrow will obviously be a tough game, hopefully they can build on their success at Fullerton going into conference play next weekend.
August
Junior Varsity

Postby Buddha » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:55 pm

Absolutely not the fault of the freshmen. Several of them are busting their tails and playing well. But like in all sports, freshmen make mistakes. Freshmen encounter scenes they haven't dealt with before (like going on the road to TWO final four-caliber teams in about a week - who scheduled THAT?) There are some very talented players on this team, but as far as the returning talent, there's not enough experienced talent. Carter is hurt. Leonard was hurt - did she play this weekend? Phillips is awesome. Peabody is awesome. Raad is the most underrated player we have. Shepherd is a stud. Gunter has been excellent at times, but appears a little shell-shocked at other times. And there have been times when far more than 3 or 4 freshmen have been on the field at once. Who was it early on - Kansas? Okie State? - when there were 7 or 8 out there. They looked a little lost at times, but they also showed some serious promise, which is very encouraging.
Buddha
All-American

Postby August » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:22 pm

Yes, Katie Leonard played Friday night. I don't know how many minutes but she made a significant contribution, especially during the last several minutes that found Fullerton in an offensive flurry, trying to even the score. Good stuff.
August
Junior Varsity

Postby Horseshoe » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:39 pm

I've heard Katie Leonard referred to as "the toughest player on the team." I don't know how hurt she was, but I'd heard speculation last week they were afraid she was badly hurt. Sounds like the reports about her toughness might be 100 percent accurate.
Horseshoe
All-American

Postby Oldkeeper » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:08 am

Katie's always been an unsung hero on defense and she is tough. Unfortunately the injury didn't help against USC as they were able to exploit it. Time off and treatment should help.
From watching online the USC game was a sad affair. Once again no possesion or attack. Second half was minutely better but USC had there subs in by then.
I know my rights, man.
Oldkeeper
Scout Team

Postby orsini for president » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:48 pm

Funny that everyone turns to the freshmen when things are not going as planned and then talk about the players that Coach Erwin said were "over rated" (Gunter, Phillips, May). Remember the freshman class of the Bailey sisters et.al.? That freshman class and then with the class that followed (Phillips, Gunter, Moran...) these teams were very young but yet were nationally ranked, beat teams like USC and Stanford, took Santa Clara to overtime and tied Texas (to name a few games). They also won the conference and played in the NCAA tournament - unlike any team that Erwin is producing. Lets face facts, it is the coaching and lack of team management that is causing the worst start in women's soccer history.
orsini for president

Postby Oldkeeper » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:25 pm

Past history of the team has been great with 6 consecutive NCAA apearances and 7 of 8 since 1999. The past two seasons prove we certainly are not at the level we used to be. Conference play should be interesting, could be dicey. We've gone from favorites in the conference to not being rated in the top 4. Something needs to change. I wish nothing but the best for the girls as conference play starts this weekend. I also wish nothing but the best for the program.
I know my rights, man.
Oldkeeper
Scout Team

Postby August » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:41 pm

I couldn't agree more with orsini for president. What's really sad is that Krystal Bailey was granted a red shirt for last year and during spring ball decided that it wasn't worth it to her to come back.
August
Junior Varsity

Postby FragileBill » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:05 pm

Maybe they should have scheduled Stephen F. Austin, Xavier, East Tennessee St., Prairie View A&M, Baylor, Sam Houston St, UTSA, and Arkansas-Pine Bluff. Would have been a gutless schedule, but there'd be a lot less finger pointing.
FragileBill

Next

Return to Other Sports