PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Women fall 2-1 to Rice

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Women fall 2-1 to Rice

Postby mustangbill67 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:37 pm

mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby indianmustang » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:05 am

looks like ,not a good season for our soccer teams
Mustang from India
indianmustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby redpony » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:59 am

I think the women's team is worse than our football team. At least our football team is trying to improve.
At the end of the season SO needs to review the success (or lack thereof) of this team and make the necessary changes.

GO PONIES!!!
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangbill67 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:33 am

In fairness, when Brent Erwin came back to SMU as the women's coach in 2007, graduation had left the cupboard pretty empty. From all reports, he has done fairly well on the recruiting trail. I have not seen the team play this year because it seems I am always out of town when they play but I do plan on catching some games in the future. However, last year I did see a lot of games and my overall impression was that while we had a few very good players, overall team speed was a major issue. I think this is being targeted in recruiting. This year's team from what I have read seems to focus on playing an attacking style of soccer and have been able to put a lot of pressure on the opposing defenses. Our problem has been finishing. The team is relatively young overall and hopefully putting balls in the goal will come sooner rather than later. I am not ready to write this team off for the current year nor am I ready to throw Coach Erwin under the bus. I believe in time we will have a quality team under him that can compete at the highest levels.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ktownponyfan » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:09 pm

Coach Erwin and his staff have done a great job getting this team ready for conference. If you noticed there is a lot of parody in the Conference USA teams. After the first weekend one team was 2-0, one team was 0-2 and eleven were 1-1. The girls played well last night. Losing Jen Raad hurt...hopefully she will not be out for long. The PK was total B.S. and everyone in that awful facility knew it! The ponies should beat the Cougars on Sunday. So being 1-1 this weekend is not a bad thing. Rice was good, SMU was good! It should have been a 1-1 game. We have a great team, they are young, but they are good. The freshmen keeper is AMAZING!
ktownponyfan

Postby Oldkeeper » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:32 pm

Coach Erwin has thrown out a very young team to battle this year. Is it wise? Does he have a choice? Are the upper classmen that bad? Someone mentioned the cupboard was bare when he arrived...that's not really true, 5 graduates 3 starters. He's now playing a freshman keeper over an all-american/hermann trophy candidate along with the multitude of freshman field players. The impression is he has cast his future on the underclassmen. It's his choice, let's see what happens.
I know my rights, man.
Oldkeeper
Scout Team

Postby mustangbill67 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:14 pm

Oldkeeper wrote:Coach Erwin has thrown out a very young team to battle this year. Is it wise? Does he have a choice? Are the upper classmen that bad? Someone mentioned the cupboard was bare when he arrived...that's not really true, 5 graduates 3 starters. He's now playing a freshman keeper over an all-american/hermann trophy candidate along with the multitude of freshman field players. The impression is he has cast his future on the underclassmen. It's his choice, let's see what happens.

Just maybe he feels like the quality of the players he inherited is not as good as the ones he has been able to bring to SMU. I do not know but we struggled last year with inherited players and this young team does show some promise.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ktownponyfan » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:40 pm

have you seen the freshmen keeper???? she is AMAZING!!! very quick. She saved the game verse UTEP with some of the BEST saves I have ever seen. Plus she made a save against Rice is the last 5 minutes that could have put the game out of reach for the ponies. Kept them in the hunt until the final whistle blew.
ktownponyfan

Postby Pony4Life » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:48 am

Oldkeeper wrote:Coach Erwin has thrown out a very young team to battle this year. Is it wise? Does he have a choice? Are the upper classmen that bad? Someone mentioned the cupboard was bare when he arrived...that's not really true, 5 graduates 3 starters. He's now playing a freshman keeper over an all-american/hermann trophy candidate along with the multitude of freshman field players. The impression is he has cast his future on the underclassmen. It's his choice, let's see what happens.
He has no choice. 17 of the 29 players on his roster are freshmen, and several are playing extremely well. I've only seen the freshman GK (Webb) once, but she was terrific (in her nationally televised shutout of UTEP). And it's not like the upperclassmen aren't playing - Carter started before she got hurt. Leonard, Raad, Phillips, Peabody, Shepherd, Medeiros - all start or at least have major roles. But he has filled in the gaps (and let's be fair, there definitely are gaps) with some freshmen who appear to be the foundation of a pretty bright future.
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Return to Other Sports