PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

How low will they go??

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

How low will they go??

Postby redpony » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:16 pm

Just finished watching Memphis beat the ponies. It was the first 'ranked' team they have beaten in 2 or 3 years. In describing our soccer team the adjectives unimaginative, sloppy and uninspiring come to mind.
However, not to worry because the 'sunshiners' on this forum will tell us that all is okay. They will have the excuses that our best players were not playing. Gee, can we get the W's-L's changed because because we didn't use our best players??

When is someone going to start realizing our great soccer history and reputation is rapidly being trashed? Or does anyone else really care??

GO PONIES!!!
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: How low will they go??

Postby Lotus » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:15 pm

redpony wrote:They will have the excuses that our best players were not playing.
That's not an excuse - that's fact.
Think the Patriots would have lost to Miami if Brady had been in there?
It's not rocket science - take out the best player, limit some other players, and lo and behold, a team is not as good as it is with a full arsenal of healthy players!
I watched it, too. Clearly we missed Paul da Silva a lot. Esteban Mariel, in his first game back in a while, looked a little tentative out there, as did his brother up front.
The reputation of the program is not "being trashed." Did you call for Schellas Hyndman's head when we lost three of the first five a few years ago (2005, I think)? What about when we lost three straight 10 years ago to a very good St. Louis team, another team I can't remember and an absolutely horrible SW Missouri State team?
The fact is we have players banged up, and missing from the lineup altogether. It hurts any team, including this one. Call it a slump. Call it a rut. Or think of another synonym for it - but your "sky is falling" rant is premature and wrong.
SMU! SMU! SMU!
Lotus
All-American

Re: How low will they go??

Postby redpony » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:43 pm

Lotus wrote:The reputation of the program is not "being trashed." Did you call for Schellas Hyndman's head when we lost three of the first five a few years ago (2005, I think)? What about when we lost three straight 10 years ago to a very good St. Louis team, another team I can't remember and an absolutely horrible SW Missouri State team?

There is a major difference in losing to a Cal or a St.Louis. StL. was a soccer hotbed long before the sport came to Dallas and Texas.
Losing to unranked teams like NIU, Tulsa and Memphis and being 0-3-1 in our last 4 games is unacceptable. Also, SH was an experienced head coach with a winning reputation. Unfortunately he was replaced with an inexperienced 'Walmart' quality coach who just isn't getting the job done! :evil: I don't think any of SH's teams went from 2,5,15 (and now probably 30) in the national rankings.

GO PONIES!!!
redpony

Postby RedRiverPony » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:03 pm

Walmart-quality? Jesus, get get help. Tulsa was unranked when it beat us because it had gone through a similar dip in performance. Want to know why? They were missing some of their top players with injuries! Sound familiar?

Did you really expect to go undefeated with ANY coach, knowing that we graduated Shuleva, Sandbo, Chevannes and Corbin, lost Guarda in mid-summer and have had games missed by Da Silva, Harwell, Cruz, etc.? Bruce Arena (or whoever your vision of a perfect coach) wouldn't be perfect in this case, either, and might lose to an underrated (and then undefeated) team like NIU, too.

They got their big guns back and started beating people - a lot of people. It's not like they shot back into the rankings ONLY because of their win against us. It's a long season for a reason. Everyone (with the possible exception of a juggernaut like Wake this season) is going to lose. Better now than in November.

What's your beef with Coach McClements? Bitter you didn't get the job?

I'm going to be in Dallas on business this week - looking forward to both home games this weekend.

Go Mustangs
RedRiverPony
All-American

Postby EastStang » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:11 am

I'll reserve judgment until the CUSA tourney. Remember the year we went to the final four and beat UNC and UCLA in the year. We had to win the MVC tourney to get in. We got in and then had a horrific draw and yet we got to the final four and lost to the champion, Maryland in a game which was competitive for the first half. So, before we declare that the sky is falling, let's see how the season plays out.
EastStang

Postby PonyFan » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:09 am

EastStang wrote:So, before we declare that the sky is falling, let's see how the season plays out.
What's wrong with you? Are you realistic or something?

Of course, you're exactly right.

You know, we missed the NCAAs in 1993, and somehow, the program survived. Stunning.

Beat South Carolina!
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby gk00dad » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:11 pm

EastStang stole my thunder. While I very lightly have one finger on the panic button, it must be stressed that we've played some bad soccer in years past and managed to overcome it. If I'm not mistaken the last time we went to the final four we had a 10-5-2 record going into the ncaa tourney. lost the conference championship in a shootout and started the season 1-4-2. We managed to get through that and make it to the final four and there is no reason to think otherwise at this point in time. The big picture is the conference tourney. If we can pull off a high seed and avoid the upsets there we should be okay. BTW I was at the game and for some missed chances in the first half that game should have been over at halftime with us up 4-0.
gk00dad
Junior Varsity

Postby Higher Authority » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:52 pm

gk00dad wrote:BTW I was at the game and for some missed chances in the first half that game should have been over at halftime with us up 4-0.
Glad you said that. I wasn't there, but from what I heard, we dominated much of the game, outshot the Tigers and had far more offensive chances. Sometimes the shooting is a little off — happens in basketball, in the passing game in football — and supposedly a couple of braincramps on set pieces led to both of their goals. I don't like the record, but this team is way too talented to think we won't be just fine.
"Mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in .... next to soccer."
— "Loki" in the movie Dogma
Higher Authority
All-American

Postby CalallenStang » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:44 am

We lost to Florida International last year. Does that say something bad about Schellas?
CalallenStang

Postby mathman » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:59 am

All of you are wasting your breath on Redpony. He has an agenda and isn't hearing a thing you say.
When will I start feeling stimulated??
mathman
Heisman

Postby redpony » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:07 pm

OK- let's clarify a few things. First- I am not nor was I ever interested in the soccer coaches job. I am happily retired and have never worked as a professional coach.
Second- my ONLY agenda is to have our soccer team as national champion. An agenda that all of us should have. Many of us waited, hoping that SH would finally get us that championship. He didn't so the frustration continues to build.
I am very unhappy with our performance of late. I don't care whose fault it is- coaches, players etc. we need to be winning games against poorly or unranked teams.
Yes, I was greatly displeased with the coaching selection that SO made. However, if he manages to get this team to at least the quarter finals then I have no problem. If he fails to do so then I feel SO needs to re-evaluate the situation. My attitude is win or get out.

GO PONIES!!!
redpony

Postby PonyGirl » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:38 pm

OK, then let's win.
PonyGirl
Varsity

Postby redpony » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:12 pm

Well, in case all of the 'sunshiners' didn't notice- our wonderful soccer team got pounded again. This time by another unranked team with a record of 1-10-1. We are now 0-4-1 in conference play.

Are there any fans who really expect us to win the conference and advance into the final rounds of the national championships?

Excellence abounds- just not with the SMU soccer team. How long will the sunshiners continue to be blinded by the illusion that this team is well prepared, enters games with a winning strategy, is well coached and is playing up to it's capabilities?

GO PONIES!!!
redpony

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:05 pm

Hyndman looks pretty great now, doesn't he.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby jkflamebo » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:31 am

redpony wrote:Well, in case all of the 'sunshiners' didn't notice- our wonderful soccer team got pounded again. This time by another unranked team with a record of 1-10-1. We are now 0-4-1 in conference play.

Are there any fans who really expect us to win the conference and advance into the final rounds of the national championships?

Excellence abounds- just not with the SMU soccer team. How long will the sunshiners continue to be blinded by the illusion that this team is well prepared, enters games with a winning strategy, is well coached and is playing up to it's capabilities?

GO PONIES!!!

this team is done. have we ever lost to marshall before?????
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Other Sports