PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

soccer: SMU vs South Carolina

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

soccer: SMU vs South Carolina

Postby gk00dad » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:00 pm

Halftime and 0-0. The SID and media dept. really needs to do something about the online broadcast. I watched the Virginia game online and they actually had broadcasters and the picture was great. If we're going to complain about Walmart quality then this is something that we need to get fixed.
gk00dad
Junior Varsity

Postby gk00dad » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:36 pm

1-1 draw. ugly game marred by Dane Santus getting tossed at the end for a shove. A fortunate call in the box and Manuel Mariel penalty kick salvaged the tie for us. Another team playing balls over the top. Get used to it because I think this is how everyone is going to play us from here on out. Defending was good. Midfield play was spotty at best. the fowards created a lot of chances but once again finishing eludes this team. These guys need to stop playing into the other teams hands and play their game. Once S.C. started playing over the top we started doing the same thing and that is not our game. when we did play through the midfield and move the ball on the deck, we created more and better chances.
gk00dad
Junior Varsity

Postby DallasDiehard » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:51 pm

gk00dad - you should have been there. South Carolina is a terrific team, and we outplayed them (I bet we had double their shots). Very rough game, lots of pushing and shoving and a few cards. Two of their guys ran into each other before the half and one got knocked out so bad he looked like he was out cold before he hit the ground - he was laid out for 10 minutes or more. Looked like a hockey game on cleats - very fast action, lots of shots (mostly for us). You're right about the defending: Daniel Lopez and Esteban Mariel, in particular, were outstanding.

Great game, guys - see you Sunday!
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby Silk » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:22 am

Rough game, but as entertaining as any I've seen in a while. Maybe the best part was that there was a fire there they didn't have against Tulsa a couple of weeks ago. Played a great team, and went toe to toe - literally. South Carolina has one of the best forwards anywhere, and he was invisible all night. Great job by the Mustangs' defense.
Silk
Varsity

Postby Hoofprint » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:20 am

Silk wrote:Rough game, but as entertaining as any I've seen in a while. Maybe the best part was that there was a fire there they didn't have against Tulsa a couple of weeks ago. Played a great team, and went toe to toe - literally. South Carolina has one of the best forwards anywhere, and he was invisible all night. Great job by the Mustangs' defense.
Totally agree on the "fire" comment - that's the kind of nastiness that can get a team out of a rut.

Good call on the defense played against their forward - I looked on-line, and he (Sam Arthur) had one shot all night. I remember it, too, and someone was charitable even giving him a shot - he missed by a mile. Taking him out of the game was key to the outcome. Great job, guys.
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby SMUFan » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:25 pm

Most encouraging to me was the number of offensive chances we created. They need to be sharper, but part of that can be credited to the fact that SC has a very big, physical defense and an All-America-caliber goalie. Plus, we just missed a few shot. Teams go into shooting slumps - that happens, just like in basketball or hockey, or when quarterbacks and receivers have their timing a little off in football. But unlike in the Tulsa game, the chances were there. The ship is getting back on course. It's not there yet, but it's getting pointed in the right direction.
SMUFan
All-American

Return to Other Sports