PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Women's Soccer Felled By Conference Heavyweight

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby ktownponyfan » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:15 am

Courtney Webb collects eight saves in loss to Memphis

Oct. 17, 2008

DALLAS (SMU) - The SMU women's soccer team has spent the season taking on the best teams anywhere - a schedule that has left the young Mustangs with some bruises along the way, but has helped steel the team for future contests with the elite teams in Conference USA and the rest of the country.

Friday was another such game, as the Mustangs welcomed one of the C-USA elite - Memphis - to Westcott Field. The Ponies battled the Lady Tigers to a scoreless tie in the first half before bowing, 3-0. With the loss, SMU fell to 5-9-1 on the season, while Memphis improved to 9-4-1

Nearly midway through the second half, the Lady Tigers took the lead for good when Lizzy Hildebrandt floated a long, high shot from the right side that was just beyond the reach of SMU freshman goalkeeper Courtney Webb in the 64th minute. Then, in the 66th minute, Vendula Strnadova dribbled across the top of the box and turned toward the goal, slipping her shot just inside the lower left corner. Memphis got its last goal in the 70th minute, when Ashley Berra ran on to a loose ball in the SMU end and tucked her shot in the net from about 12 yards.

The Mustangs return to action at 1 p.m. Sunday against UAB at Westcott Field. For ticket information and a complete schedule, log on to SMUMustangs.com or call 214-SMU-GAME.
ktownponyfan

Postby mustangbill67 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:10 pm

This was my first game to attend this year and I was very disappointed in our level of play. Memphis dominated for most of the game and we were lucky that the score was only 3-0. Our defense and the keeper played well at times especially considering the amount of continuous intense pressure applied by Memphis. My main complaint about this team was the total lack of offensive control and build up in the mid field and the lack of player movement in the offense. A lot of standing around and ball watching. No one was moving without the ball to create space. Several times we had long runs on the flank with a good crossing pass into middle space with no SMU player within 30 yards of the ball. Everyone just seemed to be standing around watching the player with the ball. Soccer to be played well requires constant movement and creativity. I saw none of that last night. I really do not know if Memphis was really that much better than SMU. There just seemed to be something missing with this team. Maybe a leader.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyPride » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:53 pm

Nothing like what I've watched in recent games. The game last night was just bad - we looked lethargic. Players and coaches alike were disappointed after the game, as they should be.

Sunday's game with UAB (1 p.m. at Westcott Field) is really big - hope to see a lot of PonyFans there.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Oldkeeper » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:46 pm

Wow! What an article in the campus newspaper. New low for the team and then the coach throws a player under the bus.

"I have no criticism to the players," said Erwin. "It was heart wrenching. UAB didn't create any good chances on goal. Our players played great. "Gunter trained very well. In the end you need a senior goalkeeper to step up and be able to play a match." No criticism? Hate to see when he really gets on a player.

"The rule of thumb is a young player can go four games. [Webb] had changed the season for us just because she's so good," said Erwin. "I just thought she was mentally drained so we needed to make a change, and it was a mistake. I should have stuck with [Webb], I was doing it for her benefit to give her a break."

Did Gunter give up a soft goal...probably, I saw two from Webb on Friday but no mention there. Gunter had an off game Sunday. Does she know it? Certainly. What was Erwin's pupose in calling her out? He couldn't just say she had an off game?

Rule of thumb? 4 games? It doesn't seem to bother the dozens of other freshman keepers in D1. The more times I read this the madder I get. The one person I haven't seen take the blame is the coach and his staff. All I see is a divisive attitude. Leadership starts at the top.
I know my rights, man.
Oldkeeper
Scout Team

Postby redpony » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:13 pm

Oldkeeper wrote:Wow! What an article in the campus newspaper. New low for the team and then the coach throws a player under the bus. The one person I haven't seen take the blame is the coach and his staff. All I see is a divisive attitude. Leadership starts at the top.

And I get severely criticized when I mention the lack of leadership of the coaches of both of our soccer teams. This season is rapidly drawing to a close. I think SO needs to re-evaluate both coaching situations and make the necessary changes.

GO PONIES!!!
redpony

Postby ktownponyfan » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:19 pm

The coaches have done a great job getting this team ready for conference. At some point you have to let the players take the lead and run with it. I don't think it is the fault of the coach that players missed 2 1v1 opportunities and a PK. Comes down to finishing the opportunities that they have and they are not. The coach can not play.....it is the players. This team is young and is learning from their mistakes.....don't count them out just yet! Support the team through the good and bad. Isn't that what a "real" fan is supposed to do????
ktownponyfan

Postby August » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:24 am

ktownponyfan wrote:I don't think it is the fault of the coach that players missed 2 1v1 opportunities and a PK. Comes down to finishing the opportunities that they have and they are not.

As you point out, the girls missed several scoring opportunities during Sunday's match which underscores the point made by Oldkeeper - why is the loss pinned on Gunter?
August
Junior Varsity

Postby that's great raplh » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:08 am

wow

muffie benson perella

169 black horseshoes - Green Party Activist - I am the Greetest!

Now selling Hope at a price slightly higher than free...
that's great raplh

Postby Oldkeeper » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:46 am

Good input Raplh. must be going for 3000 posts
I know my rights, man.
Oldkeeper
Scout Team

Postby ClassOf81 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:52 am

Oldkeeper wrote:Wow! What an article in the campus newspaper. New low for the team and then the coach throws a player under the bus.

"I have no criticism to the players," said Erwin. "It was heart wrenching. UAB didn't create any good chances on goal. Our players played great. "Gunter trained very well. In the end you need a senior goalkeeper to step up and be able to play a match." No criticism? Hate to see when he really gets on a player.
Gets on a player? He said she trained well and that you need a senior to play a match. He alluded to the idea that she didn't, but he didn't blame her. What he said was another way of saying she had a bad day. It happens.

Oldkeeper wrote:"The rule of thumb is a young player can go four games. [Webb] had changed the season for us just because she's so good," said Erwin. "I just thought she was mentally drained so we needed to make a change, and it was a mistake. I should have stuck with [Webb], I was doing it for her benefit to give her a break."

Did Gunter give up a soft goal...probably, I saw two from Webb on Friday but no mention there. Gunter had an off game Sunday. Does she know it? Certainly. What was Erwin's pupose in calling her out? He couldn't just say she had an off game?
The soft goals in the Friday game were probably what made him say she seemed "mentally drained," although I don't know that since I've never met him and have not had a chance to ask him about the quote. I'd guess he wouldn't answer me if I did, and I'd guess he hasn't explained the quote to you or anyone else, either.

Probably gave up a soft goal? She did - twice. One was a corner kick that flew straight into the goal, which you never see. The second went right at her and somehow got by her. I don't know, maybe it was in the sun. Whatever the reason, they were soft goals. But he never said she can't play. Gunter is a terrific player who has won a lot of games at SMU, and if the coaches made the decision to switch to Webb, I'm sure they had a reason — an off game here, a poor week of practice there ... who knows? He sounds like he was frustrated over a loss, and wanted a better performance from a player he knows can play better. Wade Phillips said as much after the Cowboys got slapped around by St. Louis last week about Brad Johnson, but that doesn't mean he "threw him under the bus." He recognized Johnson had a bad day, and Coach Erwin recognized Gunter had a bad day. He's not ripping her. He knows she can play better, that's all. Nolan Ryan gave up a ton of home runs and walked more hitters than anyone in history. He had bad days — more than fans like to admit — but that doesn't mean he was a bad pitcher, obviously.

Oldkeeper wrote:The one person I haven't seen take the blame is the coach and his staff. All I see is a divisive attitude. Leadership starts at the top.
That's true, it does. However, when he said "I just thought she was mentally drained so we needed to make a change, and it was a mistake...." whose mistake do you think he's saying it is? His own. He's a very good coach, in part because he knows that everyone — including his senior goalie and himself — makes mistakes. He also owns up to it.

I don't know the origin of your grudge, and I don't care. You want to decide if he can coach? Look at how the team played against UAB (minus three starters) and compare it to how they played at the beginning of the season. The man has a team loaded with freshmen, and he and his staff have taught them well. They're young, but they're also fast and aggressive and athletic. They're learning how to win. They have more learning to do, obviously, and he needs to continue to recruit more players, but the way they're playing now, they have a chance to make some noise in the conference tournament, something I never thought I'd say when they started the season. I'm thinking of making a road trip to Houston for the tournament to cheer on the Mustangs ... and our coaches.
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby Oldkeeper » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:45 am

You can interpret the statement that way if you wish. No harm no foul but I do know Gunter was upset by the comment so she took it the same way I did. "you need a senior goalkeeper to step up and be able to play a match." In my mind he is saying she unable to do that. Poor choice of words.
I know my rights, man.
Oldkeeper
Scout Team

Postby PonyTales » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:40 pm

You're right - you can interpret it any way you like.

When I read it, I clearly didn't see it the same way. Nowhere in his statements did he say she is unable to do that, or even that he thinks she's unable to do it. It's understandable that she might be upset - after all, she's the one who was being discussed, and it sucks to be in the spotlight after a loss. But all he said was that she didn't do it that day, and I didn't see anything inaccurate about that. She's a very good player who made two mistakes. That doesn't mean - and Coach didn't say - that she can't play. Her resume is too good for anyone to believe that.

But you're right - this seems to be nothing more than a matter of a difference in interpretation, and frankly, we're making a pretty big deal out of a relatively indsignificant comment.
PonyTales
Heisman

Return to Other Sports