PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Candace Blackman Earns C-USA Swimmer Of The Week Honor

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby PonyPride » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:20 pm

Blackman's Second Career Weekly Honor and First of 2008-09 Season

Oct. 28, 2008

DALLAS (SMU)-Senior Candace Blackman of the SMU women's swimming team has been crowned Swimmer of the Week as announced by Conference USA. This marks the second time in her career Blackman has received the honor and her first of the 2008-09 season.

Blackman took part in SMU's Women's Swimming Classic and also participated in a dual meet against Arizona State. Against the Sun Devils, Blackman took three first-place honors. She helped the 400-free relay team touch the wall first in 3:24.14 and also took individual wins in the 100-free (50.65) and 200-free (1:48.78).

During the two-day SMU classic, Blackman competed on three of SMU's relay teams and helped two of them to first-place finishes. In the 800-free relay, SMU pulled off the win, with Blackman edging out USC for the title, touching the wall in 7:21.08. The All-American swimmer also took first in the 200-free relay that set new meet and pool records and also achieved an NCAA qualifying time by finishing in 1:47.83.

Blackman's last relay of the day was in the 400-free relay (3:22.79) that took second-place to a USC team that broke meet and pool records. Blackman finished the SMU Classic with a pair of individual first-place honors including a win in the 50-free (23.31) and 100-free (50.26).

Blackman and her fellow Mustangs will return to the pool this Saturday at 2 p.m. when they take on Penn State in head to head to competition in Joe Perkins Natatorium.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Water Pony » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:55 am

Thanks. From the Daily Campus:

Blackman, a senior from Highland Park, was an All-American in three events last year: the 200, 400 and 800 freestyle relays, and was also an All-American in 2006. She helped the Mustangs to an 11th-place finish in the NCAA Championships last year and a seventh-place finish in 2006. She sat out the 2006-2007 season with a medical redshirt.

Blackman is one of only four seniors on SMU's 24-person roster, which features 16 freshmen and sophomores.

Looks likes Lady Mustangs are young, but the depth in the future should be great. Great job Coach Collins.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby BleedingRed+Blue » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:05 am

Mustangs - not Lady Mustangs.

Coach Collins is a great recruiter and a great coach.

I came over last week for the second day of the SMU classic - Blackman is absolutely amazing to watch.
BleedingRed+Blue
All-American

Postby Water Pony » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:22 pm

BleedingRed+Blue wrote:Mustangs - not Lady Mustangs.

I came over last week for the second day of the SMU classic - Blackman is absolutely amazing to watch.

I agree, but why is Lady Mustangs, or for that matter "fillies", :lol: politically incorrect? Do I need to go to a reeducation camp? :oops:
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby PoconoPony » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:59 pm

Water Pony wrote:
BleedingRed+Blue wrote:Mustangs - not Lady Mustangs.

I agree, but why is Lady Mustangs, or for that matter "fillies", :lol: politically incorrect? Do I need to go to a reeducation camp? :oops:

I always thought a mustang was merely a wild tough Southwestern horse and not gender specific. Hence, mustang could apply to both male and female.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Other Sports