PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU/Kentucky

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby DallasDiehard » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:12 am

Take five would-be starters away from any team in the country for all or part of the season and every team — with any coach — would struggle. If da Silva is healthy, we have a chance to do well in the C-USA tournament. If he's not healthy, we could face a serious hurdle, even early on.

Take nearly 50 percent of the starters away from the Mavericks away (say ... Dirk Nowitzki (Guarda and da Silva) and Jason Kidd (Geppert, Oliva and Mirsky), and perhaps Rick Carlisle should be run out of town, too.

Teams have off-years. Coach Hyndman missed the playoffs once, too. He probably should have been chased out a couple hundred wins ago, huh?
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby pjpony » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:39 am

Coach McClements took a previously weak program at Vanderbilt and built it into an NCAA Tournament team - winning a conference Coach of the Year award along the way, for which he defeated, among others, our own Schellas Hyndman - and might still be there if the school hadn't yanked the program out from under him.

An overall record of 22-42-8 at Vanderbilt is a very bad record. Have you ever noticed how many excuses follow McClements. Quite frankly, I'm tired of everyone backing his mediocrity and his past record speaks for itself.

Every time there's a change in coaches, there's an adjustment period. Sometimes it's very quick, sometimes it takes a little longer as the new coach and the team get used to each other.

Good coaches win even when the program is new. Look at Duke and Harvard. First year coaches who are ranked #17 and #25 in the latest rpi. Now they'll be going to the NCAA tournament. Will we? I doubt it. Coach took an elite program with top talent and tanked the program in months. Furthermore, he's not new to the program. He has been our top assistant for years before getting the job.

That's what this year has been going on this year while the team has pattled upstream against the ridiculous stream of injuries (I know, every team has injuries, but we've had a lot major ones to players counted on to play significant roles.)

Often when there are that many injuries it is often a reflection on the coach...overtraining, undertraining, not enough rest, poor warm-ups/stretching, etc.

I would say we have to win the Conference USA Tournament to make the NCAAs, and you're right - there's a chance we won't.

If we don't make it into the NCAA tournament then lights out, coach gotta go.

But Coach is settled into his position now (what did he have, two weeks before he started two-a-days after he got hired?), the team now knows what he expects

This is a crazy statement to make. McClements recruited practically the entire current team. SH always gave that role up to him. When was the last time anyone ever saw SH at a club game recruiting. That was McClements role as our top assistant these last years. The players in many ways knew him better than they knew SH. Who do you think did all the paperwork and phone calls to get the current players through the admission process? McClements again. He not only knows the players well but there families and high school counselors as well.

and a lot of freshmen - including several he redshirted to fortify the future of the program - have gained valuable experience with him and knowledge.

Top programs redshirt most of their freshmen because it often takes a year for them to settle in and get accustomed to the speed of play in the college game.

Is he Schellas Hyndman? No he doesn't have to be.

You're right he is not SH. SH D1 head coaching winning record of 466-120-49 compared to McClements career D1 head coaching record before taking on the Ponies was a losing record of 52-84-12. One is a winner and the other...well, not a winner.

regardless of how this postseason goes, will be just fine.

Yes we will but not with McClements. If we don't at the very least get into the NCAA postseason tourney then it's time to get a new coach.

(I'll save you a seat at Westcott Field next week if you'd like to come out and cheer for him, rather than just ripping him on a message board.)

Great. I didn't know they let fans sit on the bench.

Go Ponies![/quote]
pjpony

Postby 817pony » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:12 am

...so who do you want to be the coach? If you are this soccer god who knows the answer to everything, who should the coach be?
817pony
Recruit

Postby jkflamebo » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:09 am

my vote is for ray hudson!
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

Postby redpony » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:19 pm

817pony wrote:...so who do you want to be the coach? If you are this soccer god who knows the answer to everything, who should the coach be?

AMEN-pjpony- I couldn't agree with you more.

I am glad some other people on this board feel the same way as I do.
817p- No one posting here claims to be a 'soccer god' with all of the answers.
Our current coach has taken a rich tradition of winning soccer programs and in one season trashed it. Not all his fault- SO should be questioned for selecting a non-winning, inexperienced and unproven coach.

Now we need to start the search for a coach with national championship winning credentials. One who is a strong recruiter, a proven winner, an excellent strategist, and can develop this group into the winners they should be. Let's bring back the winning tradition-NOW!

BTW- we have the same problem with the women's soccer team.

GO PONIES!!!
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Higher Authority » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:26 pm

He has trashed nothing. Guarda, Geppert and Oliva were supposed to be major parts of this season, and none has played. Mirsky and Manuel and da Silva have been banged up. Injuries have prevented the Ponies from reaching our expectations - so far - but it's not McClements.
"Mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in .... next to soccer."
— "Loki" in the movie Dogma
Higher Authority
All-American

Postby pjpony » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:11 pm

Higher Authority wrote:He has trashed nothing. Guarda, Geppert and Oliva were supposed to be major parts of this season, and none has played. Mirsky and Manuel and da Silva have been banged up. Injuries have prevented the Ponies from reaching our expectations - so far - but it's not McClements.

You can say that but winners are winners and losers are losers. Saying you’re a winner won’t make you one especially when your D1 HC record says completely the opposite. Almost every team gets banged up . We are not a program that is rebuilding. We’re the only D1 program in a state rich in soccer talent and we’re fully funded with state of the art facilities. We’re an established program that has all the tools for winning and continuing to win except a coach to get us there. So why are we making excuses for McClements. I don’t get it. SH has said this year’s team was his best ever. The depth on this team is tremendous. How do you account for us having a losing conference record in an average conference where 6 out of the 9 teams are ranked between 103 and 182. And we lost to #160 and 182. How do we make excuses for bringing someone in who can’t keep us at the level unless these posts are from McClements and his buddies. We have plunged to 48 in the latest rpi and when has that ever happened? I’m off to the game. Let’s hope we can dominate South Carolina and win already.
pjpony

Postby 817pony » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:31 pm

Out of curiosity, what do the numbers 8-10-12 mean to those of you on this board?........ Times up, that is the record of FC Dallas. Who is ready to fire SH for this bad season?
817pony
Recruit

Previous

Return to Other Sports