PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

So if you're the men's soccer coach ...

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

So if you're the men's soccer coach ...

Postby SMUFan » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:28 am

... do you play Paulo da Silva against FIU? He was pretty ineffective today after he got clubbed (no PK?) in the penalty box.

We need the win, but we also need him to get healthy. Do you play him?

I say no. We can beat them without him. It will be difficult, but he struggled today. If we're going to do anything in the tournament, we need him healthy.
SMUFan
All-American

Postby EastStang » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:27 am

I don't think you start him. But have him in reserve if things start going badly. You definitely want him on the field at the end of a tie game for the penalty shots. The season is over unless we win out from here on out and expect us to be thugged for the rest of the season. The losses of Guarda and DeSilva have been pretty tough on this team and we have our backs against the wall. McClements knows who are the players and who are the pretenders at this point. He should play the players as much as possible and let the pretenders ride pine.
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Ikus » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:25 pm

I think that even if we lose to FIU, we're in, and any potential change in seedings won't be significant with the FIU result. If I'm Coach, I don't even let da Silva get on the plane this week. Stay home, get treatment 12 times a day, rest, pamper that thing - we need him for the postseason.
Ikus
Heisman

Postby SMUguy » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:03 pm

Ikus wrote:I think that even if we lose to FIU, we're in, and any potential change in seedings won't be significant with the FIU result. If I'm Coach, I don't even let da Silva get on the plane this week. Stay home, get treatment 12 times a day, rest, pamper that thing - we need him for the postseason.
Exactly right. Get him as healthy as possible.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:27 pm

I really don't think we're in the NCAA tourney unless we win CUSA. If Silva can't go, then don't play him, but if he's marginal okay, then use him if things get desperate.
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby WildHorse » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:53 am

Ikus wrote:I think that even if we lose to FIU, we're in, and any potential change in seedings won't be significant with the FIU result. If I'm Coach, I don't even let da Silva get on the plane this week. Stay home, get treatment 12 times a day, rest, pamper that thing - we need him for the postseason.
Good call, Ikus - and it worked. Looks like da Silva didn't play (so I assume he didn't travel), and we got the win, anyway.

CONGRATULATIONS, PONIES!
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Return to Other Sports